Picking the right Cat Back

danbobackGN

I have been checking out the options for Cat Back systems that will work on my 84 HA. I'm basically down to two options, either the 3" system from BuickGn.com or the 2.5" system by Pypes. Any suggestions, recommedations or reviews about either of these? Basically trying to decide if the difference in size 2.5-3 is worth the extra money.

http://buickgn.com/CatBack.htm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sgg50r

I plan on getting pretty serious with this car, so I don't want to buy the 2.5" if I would need to swap it out later. Any drawbacks of having the 3" system on a relatively stock car?

I just installed the Pypes system last week. Very easy install. Sound is only slightly louder than stock, I was hoping for a little more noise but not much. Has a slight drone around 1700 RPM on the highway. I got the system on special right now from Kirban's for only $379.95 installed. All in all I'm glad I chose it.

Thanks for the input, I prefer to be on the slightly louder side. Definitely leaning towards the 3" pipes!

I have the GN1Performance 3" (the one from buickgn.com) on both my hot air car and my IC car....and I absolutely love it. Truely the baddest catback you can put on a turbo regal...period. Sounds friggin awesome. As for performance...I just had the hot air on the dyno. Did one pull through the exhaust...then one pull with the dump open.
Exhaust: 402.3rwhp @20.3psi
Dump open: 402.8rwhp @20.4psi

...the numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Bet the Pypes system won't still look like new a few years down the road. Mine still looks perfect after about 5 years on the car. When using on a hot air car not sure what you need to do to adapt to your cat, believe flanges are different? Highly recommend the band clamps we offer as an option for the system.

Banclamp

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1405608727029.jpg
    1405608727029.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 118
Did that back in 08
One of the very first kits from Archie.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bet the Pypes system won't still look like new a few years down the road. Mine still looks perfect after about 5 years on the car. When using on a hot air car not sure what you need to do to adapt to your cat, believe flanges are different? Highly recommend the band clamps we offer as an option for the system.
Hopefully....he's ditching the cat and the stock dp....otherwise there would be little point in upgrading the rest of the system (performance wise anyways). But Mark is correct....the hot air stock cat has a different flange than the IC cars and is different than what comes on this catback system.

I have the GN1Performance 3" (the one from buickgn.com) on both my hot air car and my IC car....and I absolutely love it. Truely the baddest catback you can put on a turbo regal...period. Sounds friggin awesome. As for performance...I just had the hot air I the dyno. Did one pull through the exhaust...then one pull with the dump open.
Exhaust: 402.3rwhp @20.3psi
Dump open: 402.8rwhp @20.4psi

...the numbers speak for themselves.

I told you Guys to watch out for JDPolzin/Keith/TURBO FARM WEST:)..... Keith, was the dyno pulls on 93? 110? or E85? Great work;)

I am planning on getting the new DP too, does anyone know if they are readily available from GBodyParts.com? I saw a few posts about waiting like 6 months for it to ship. I emailed them last week and haven't heard back.

I am planning on getting the new DP too, does anyone know if they are readily available from GBodyParts.com? I saw a few posts about waiting like 6 months for it to ship. I emailed them last week and haven't heard back.
Only gbodyparts.com can answer that one....sometimes it's best to call.