Picking a New Full Race Stall Speed

I am just not smart enough to understand why a guy would spend so much time and money to have a perfectly calibrated fuel map in areas the engine shouldn't operate in. I know the car shouldn't be on the street, cause a Prius would rear end you leaving a light, so that can't be the reason.
I am just not smart enough to understand why a guy would make insults to people who try to help in a non insulting way (at least initially). Maybe it is not the direction you want to go, you already said you didn't care your car is slow as long as the fuel map was perfect.
I am just not smart enough to understand why you keep posting knowing almost no one here is smart enough to understand.
We all have cookie cutter cars. But I like having a fast car with time for a life other than the darn car. Geez, I use the same round wheels as everyone. I guess when my kids grow up and I retire maybe I will invent a new wheel, maybe a sphere or something, course it wouldn't have much patch on the ground so I could....oh heck, no one is smart enough to follow what I would do.

Dusty, what a professional you are. Your knowledge, dedication and most of all patience is second to none. Keep up the good work.

LOL (at least initially) I like that. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside to buy from a person that tries to help in a non-insulting way,... at least initially.

You guys want to know what classy salesmanship looks like? All you thugs that are trying to help Dusty out here, check out Nick's post #7. He puts his two cents in very nicely, and then leaves it alone. Of all the posts where someone attempted to help me out by refering me to Dusty, this is the one post that sticks in my mind the most. This is the behavior of a stand up guy.

The rest of you trolls that like to dog pile with the insults, you're not helping Dusty out in the least. That kind of behavior rubs off on Dusty. If Dusty's comping any of you for sending him work, Dusty should be more choosy.

You guys want to know what classy salesmanship looks like? All you thugs that are trying to help Dusty out here, check out Nick's post #7. He puts his two cents in very nicely, and then leaves it alone. Of all the posts where someone attempted to help me out by refering me to Dusty, this is the one post that sticks in my mind the most. This is the behavior of a stand up guy.

The rest of you trolls that like to dog pile with the INSULTS, you're not helping Dusty out in the least. That kind of behavior rubs off on Dusty. If Dusty's comping any of you for sending him work, Dusty should be more choosy.

Are you serious?You spend half your time telling everyone how dumb they are the other half patting yourself on the back.Please keep tuning away and maybe someday youll finally realize what everybody is trying to tell you.

Since When Does Dusty need help?

Dusty is Very professional and Extremely Supportive for all his Customers.

I realize some insults came your way but your post was not called for.

PTC happens to have a Superior Product Which is likely a good reason for
all the reccommendations for you to spec a unit out with him.

If Anyone can help Harness that beast He could.

Stop the Negitive BS Donnie its ruining the appeal of your Project

No offence intended

The rest of you trolls that like to dog pile with the insults, you're not helping Dusty out in the least. That kind of behavior rubs off on Dusty. If Dusty's comping any of you for sending him work, Dusty should be more choosy.

Don. I'm actually insulted if you think I'm in any of your posts to sell you a converter.

I've asked for details of your current converter that I'm sure you know, in an attempt to help you. You don't want to share them for whatever reason.

I don't know if your still working with Chance on the converter or not. If your working with Chance on these stall changes...this is the 2nd if I remember right.........I know those pieces aren't cheap. If anything I was trying to help you save some $$$.

During all these tests and track outings I never remember you saying your not trying to improve the e.t of your car but simply only want to work on areas of the fuel map you couldn't explore with a looser converter.

If your looking for the effects of camshaft and manifolding on the fuel map, are the results not screwed up from having to inject all this nitrous and aux fuel to raise the stall speed??

Wow... I have been attempting to follow this thread somewhat. Don I don't understand the point of your thread. If you want a blog type thread you should have stated it that way from the beginning. Just put in the OP that you are not looking help just updating the progress...

Do you think Dusty or any other vendor would have spent the time on this one thread he has to make 1 sale:confused: IMO he was just trying to help you. For you to then insult him and everyone else that "piled" in to help was uncool...

You have to understand that to many you are trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I mean no offense at all because I like "outside the box" thinking. However you are running stuff that many have gone faster with alot less. To many unfamiliar with nitro as a spooling helper it seems unneeded... With the tech out today in the converter market so many of the issues have been addressed by people like Dusty that you don't need help with spooling...

Running alcohol isn't that big of a difference. Like I stated before we gave Dusty our specs and he nailed the converter first try... He knows what he is doing. Our car spools like a jet engine with no nitro to help... Adding it to the mix would just increase the probability of problems...

Again, I didn't post this to offend you. You keep saying people don't understand where you are coming from, but the same is true in reverse.

If you do not want input simply state it plainly and lets move on...

This is interesting. It just keeps rolling in, like postcards of love from Russia.
It’s interesting how the internet brings out the absolute worst in people for all in the world to gawk at, isn’t it?
I wonder what Dusty is thinking about this right now. That would tell me volumes about the kind of person he is. He’s either;
1) Sitting in his chair having a good old time at my expense, enjoying having his buddies nail me to the wall, or

2) He’s utterly disgusted with some of you with the way you’re beating up on one of his customer’s.

One of his customer’s, some of you may be thinking?
Yes, we tried a converter from Dusty for a customer’s car. It didn’t work out, and Dusty graciously took the unit back. It happens. Circumstances don’t work out sometimes. Dusty and I understand that. We would have tried another unit, but the customer was very anxious to get his car back, so we had to do something else.
Since then, I have referred a few people to him that were asking for a referral for a good TC. I hope that worked out for Dusty. We never heard back from those people. That could be good news, or bad news, but I’m sure it was good. I’m not going to use this thread to make that judgment.
My son presently has a unit on order with Dusty. We’re both patiently waiting for it to arrive at the shop. That’s the car we’ll be tuning on the dyno soon. He came to me when it was time to pick a TC, and I was the one that pushed him to get his TC from Dusty. Please don’t disappoint, Dusty.
So yes, I do trust Dusty’s talents enough to use his services.
When I started this thread, it was to share my experiences and ideas with others that might be eager to explore something outside the box. For the third time, the idea was to treat this thread like a blog, and I was not seeking advice. Especially in the manner that’s been used in this thread. By the responses, it appears most of you are insulted by that and feel I’m treating you like dummies. That is the furthest from the truth. I’m always learning myself, and I thought maybe there were others on this site that were just as eager, whether they could use the experience or not. It appears I was wrong.
This is hard, because I realize there are some that like to read up on the latest with my project, and I really do enjoy sharing, but if there’s the chance that I’m insulting someone by sharing, then I’ll choose not to share and save that person the stress. I will no longer bother others with updates on my project. You can all clap now.
When I started this thread, my plan was to keep the choice of using Dusty’s services for my own project open, maybe not use him right away, but the plan was to keep the door open. I know Dusty would enjoy the challenge. You have to enjoy challenges if you’re in the TC business. If I were any other type of individual and after some of the performances on this thread, that door would have been slapped shut, tightly locked, and the key thrown away a long while back. The performance of some of you has been amazingly eye opening. Like I said earlier, the internet has a way of bringing out the absolute worst in people, and this thread has become a very sad testament to that.

This is interesting. It just keeps rolling in, like postcards of love from Russia.
It’s interesting how the internet brings out the absolute worst in people for all in the world to gawk at, isn’t it?
I wonder what Dusty is thinking about this right now. That would tell me volumes about the kind of person he is. He’s either;
1) Sitting in his chair having a good old time at my expense, enjoying having his buddies nail me to the wall, or

2) He’s utterly disgusted with some of you with the way you’re beating up on one of his customer’s.

One of his customer’s, some of you may be thinking?
Yes, we tried a converter from Dusty for a customer’s car. It didn’t work out, and Dusty graciously took the unit back. It happens. Circumstances don’t work out sometimes. Dusty and I understand that. We would have tried another unit, but the customer was very anxious to get his car back, so we had to do something else.
Since then, I have referred a few people to him that were asking for a referral for a good TC. I hope that worked out for Dusty. We never heard back from those people. That could be good news, or bad news, but I’m sure it was good. I’m not going to use this thread to make that judgment.
My son presently has a unit on order with Dusty. We’re both patiently waiting for it to arrive at the shop. That’s the car we’ll be tuning on the dyno soon. He came to me when it was time to pick a TC, and I was the one that pushed him to get his TC from Dusty. Please don’t disappoint, Dusty.
So yes, I do trust Dusty’s talents enough to use his services.
When I started this thread, it was to share my experiences and ideas with others that might be eager to explore something outside the box. For the third time, the idea was to treat this thread like a blog, and I was not seeking advice. Especially in the manner that’s been used in this thread. By the responses, it appears most of you are insulted by that and feel I’m treating you like dummies. That is the furthest from the truth. I’m always learning myself, and I thought maybe there were others on this site that were just as eager, whether they could use the experience or not. It appears I was wrong.
This is hard, because I realize there are some that like to read up on the latest with my project, and I really do enjoy sharing, but if there’s the chance that I’m insulting someone by sharing, then I’ll choose not to share and save that person the stress. I will no longer bother others with updates on my project. You can all clap now.
When I started this thread, my plan was to keep the choice of using Dusty’s services for my own project open, maybe not use him right away, but the plan was to keep the door open. I know Dusty would enjoy the challenge. You have to enjoy challenges if you’re in the TC business. If I were any other type of individual and after some of the performances on this thread, that door would have been slapped shut, tightly locked, and the key thrown away a long while back. The performance of some of you has been amazingly eye opening. Like I said earlier, the internet has a way of bringing out the absolute worst in people, and this thread has become a very sad testament to that.

I dont know you from Adam but give the puppy dog eyes a rest.Go back and read all yur posts referencing trying to explain your theories but since most of us are to stupid to understand your probably wasting your time.You chuck insults then blame the board for shooting them back.Everytime I read a post from you it reminds me of an old saying in my profession.Those that can do those that cant TEACH.Good luck with your project.

I took some time to sit back and try to figure out why I started this thread. Was it to explain the path I took up to this point? Not really. I've covered that in other threads. The explaining that I did attempt to do about the foundation of my project up to this point, in this thread, was due to questions from people. I tried my best to answer them. If it bored the heck out of some of you, then I'm sorry. Simple solution for those that find my threads boring or over their heads, don't read them. That's a real simple, bottom line solution. Why would a person read something that was meant to simply pass on information and technical experiences, and that ended up aggravating them? I don't get it.

Sometimes there were multiple reasons why I followed a particular path with my project, and looking back on it and trying to explain every single reason is actually very hard. Some of the reasons don't come to me when I try to remember why I did this or that. That's just some of the confusion that I've had to deal with on this project while trying to run a business, and why I've tried to document as much of it as possible. Sometimes I wish I had a sort of index I could use to look up paricular points about my project.

As the first post eluded to, it is time for me to pick a new stall speed. A time of my choosing. No one should really concern themselves why it took so long for me to come to this point. I am not trying to race through this project. The idea I had for this thread was to document the testing that I would be going through during my journey in finding the right TC combination for this latest combination. It would have covered analysis of the performance of maybe a few different converters. The launch performance and the top end performance mainly, and how the nitrous affected that. Comparisons would have been made at each step of the process. It would have been a very interesting door into what it sometimes takes to properly match a TC to an application, and also show how difficult it can sometimes be with an odd combination. As I have already stated, and this is the fourth time I've stated it, this was to be a sort of diary of the experience or a blog. For an analytically minded individual, I would have hoped he would have found the thread very interesting. For those that have absolutely no clue about what it takes to match a TC, it would have been some good basic knowledge for them.
The urging and arm pulling by some to not waste my time and go straight to Dusty, would have been the easy solution. That would be true if I wasn't so interested in comparing what Dusty can actually do for me, to what others out there can, and also passing on some experiences to other people.
This could have turned out to be an excellent testament to Dusty's abilities. And, in the back of my mind, I think that was the ultimate goal. There would have been concrete information posted in this thread to show exactly what the benefit is to using Dusty's services. This would have turned out to be a huge marketing opportunity for Dusty. Not that he really needs it, but what smart business man turns down the opportunity for good marketing? I would hope the answer to that question is obvious to most of you.
When I look back on it now, it seems like a very unselfish way to spend my time to give others a glimpse into a controversial operation that would, I'm sure would have ultimately showcased Dusty's services, but now that I realize that no one is really interested in this, I will spend my time on something else and not bother people with stuff that's obviously way over their heads, and are stead fast in keeping it that way.

It's like what someone told me once, "Why are you wasting your valuable time trying to enlighten these people. They don't care, anyway."
Looks like those people are right. I am done wasting my time.

Good luck to everyone with your own projects, and my hope is that you have the most success with them.

Don,
Just my opinion and you know what's that's worth.
I think you are one of the "good guys". I've sent you customers whether you are aware of it or not, I've plugged you here and there, and overall I think you are a good trans tech who is also one of the rare ones who will share info.

BUT...
In this thread you've posted several times something along the lines of this:

I will spend my time on something else and not bother people with stuff that's obviously way over their heads, and are stead fast in keeping it that way.

You have some of the most knowledgeable trans builders, converter guys, tuners, turbo guys, etc in the country here and you are telling us all that "it's over our heads".

I understand you've been taking a beating that you should have gotten a converter long ago, I absolutely understand what you are trying to explain about using a tight converter to tune the fuel map even if it's just for research purposes, but telling some of the best and brightest in the country that we're stupid or not as smart a you. It's not going to go over well.

I for one Really do enjoy reading about your project, it really has come a long way.

I hope you have a change of heart and realize what has happened here.

I agree that some of the text you publish does seem to be-little those of us reading it.

I also See The "I told you so" Guys Ramming their $0.02 down your throat.

Then there are the professional guys who chimed in because they percieved this thread as one looking for advice.

I think if you block out the told you so guys and kept this thread open to positive discussion it would produce some excellent information, kinda like that TH400 thread did. even though that one had some ugly spots too it is all over the net and percieved as great info.

Please have a closer look and consider starting this thread over.

I for one Really do enjoy reading about your project, it really has come a long way.

I hope you have a change of heart and realize what has happened here.

I agree that some of the text you publish does seem to be-little those of us reading it.

I also See The "I told you so" Guys Ramming their $0.02 down your throat.

Then there are the professional guys who chimed in because they percieved this thread as one looking for advice.

I think if you block out the told you so guys and kept this thread open to positive discussion it would produce some excellent information, kinda like that TH400 thread did. even though that one had some ugly spots too it is all over the net and percieved as great info.

Please have a closer look and consider starting this thread over.

I have to agree on this. I've learned quite a bit from your rambling threads Donnie, even if they don't go anywhere sometimes.:rolleyes: You are one of the members that is willing to provide info that is really scarce and secretive for the guys willing to learn, but you're thin skinned sometimes.:eek: This is an open forum and oppinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one after all.:biggrin:

I am curious as to whose heads this went over?

I think the majority of us know exactly what you are getting at. It isn't rocket science...

I think we all got your point NOW about not wanting help. I don't see the need to keep belittling members though, not trying to be ugly...

I will spend my time on something else and not bother people with stuff that's obviously way over their heads, and are stead fast in keeping it that way.

Don it's not that it's over their head, it just many have no need to bring their education level to where yours is at with methanol.

I can guarantee you the converter issue (thread topic) isn't over just about everybody's heads though....

I suppose sometimes I don't throw enough detail into some of my responses. Some have gotten out of my comments, or are assuming that I'm calling everyone else idiots. After all the times I've put myself out there to share info, opened myself to ridicule, and everyone thinks that I'm calling them idiots??? THE ONLY PERSON THAT'S AN IDIOT ON THIS BOARD IS ME!!! And I mean that wholeheartedly.

As I've stated before, I come here to learn too, but mostly I enjoy sharing what I've learned. You just don't come across a person that is doing something unique and will bend over backwards to share that. Too many people like to keep things secretive. Some of the technical bantering that comes about in some of my threads, I feel has been very helpful to me and others. For one thing, it commonly will help me expand my thinking about a particular problem. Some would think that is a negative point in some of my threads. I myself think it helps people break out of the box and expand their horizons. Anyway,... after all this time,... some of you would characterize me as calling everyone idiots. Well then, you're just showing me that you really haven't learned a single ???? thing about me after all this time. Absolutely unbelievable.

That's what I get for trying to bring people along. Some people warned me about this, and in the back of my mind I think I sensed some resentment from some for my desire to share, but stupid me, I enjoyed the sharing so much and just kept making myself a nuisance obviously. You've all done a spectacular job at turning me into a hard person. One that would rather keep things to himself, than take the chance of facing such harsh ridicule. There are already too many people like that in this world, and you've succeeded in adding another to the ranks.

To better explain my thinking here, since some like to throw their own unique perceptions into what I write. I deeply respect many of you for your talents and knowledge. When I am receptive to advice, I really do appreciate it and I try hard to make that known when those times do come about. Other times when I've clearly proven a point, I can tell there are some hard heads out there that don't want to try to understand. Sometimes I even wonder if they even read the posts I make by the way they reply. I make the effort to make them understand, but that's all I can do. Some people are not very flexible in the way they think about things. And that's OK. It takes all kinds in this world. Do I fault them for that and come right out and call them IDIOTS?!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT! And I resent the fact that some of you have come back and attempted to make everyone think that I would even attempt something like that.
You have to admit, there has been a lot of relentless pushing me to the wall here, and when I'm pushed to the wall, it just makes me attempt to get my point across even harder. If people still don't get it, I suppose I should just stop there and let it be, but I like to see people expand their thinking and break out of their box, even if it's just for a moment. To my way of thinking, that is trying to help a person. I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE IDIOTS!!!
Do I realize that I may receive even more ridicule for trying to make a person understand? Actually, yes I do. But the reward of someone finally understanding my point of view, though he may not openly admit it, or at the very least, show that they were attempting to understand it, even if they may not totally agree with my view, was well worth the effort and the resulting beating.
There is so much around us to learn about. I don't understand why a person would choose to stop learning.

My project has come about to a very critical point. That of choosing the correct torque converter. No one can deny that the choice of TC is the most important. That's why I saved it for last. I was excited to share the process with all of you, and now that effort has majorly soured. I get the feeling that some of you didn't want me to end up sharing the experience with others. I don't understand why that would be. Maybe some important racing secrets may have been revealed during the process, wanting them to stay under wraps so the competition doesn't get a heads up. Or, someone just wants to keep people coming to them for the answers. Who knows. That's just a couple of the hair brained reasons that I have come up with.
I just don't understand why I received so much resistance to sharing this part of the project. Can anyone explain it to me? Were people just trying too hard to help me, and it just spiraled out of control? Even with my urging that I wasn't asking for advice? At least, not yet.

The way that I had this thread planned, eventually, advice would have been asked for. But the time had not come yet. I just wish people would have put in their .02 cents and then just let the thread progress without making it so ugly. You'd think this thread belonged in the political section. What a mess.

This could have been such a great technical thread that many people could have gotten a lot of information from. Now it's just plain trash.

I learned alot from this thread........

just build a cookie cutter, that way EVERYONE is happy ,
EXCEPT ME!
as I now have what everyone else has,
nothing unique...
nothing thats says ME.......
just what everyone else has,or says I should build.:wink:

no, not a ignore button for don, a ignore button for board members.

Don, please, please continue to do write-ups. i have learned alot from you and will continue to learn from you. i enjoy talking to you when i can at the events as well.

I will admit, somethings you say go way over my head, hell i have to read them over and over again to understand and sometimes i still don't.

We all take a beating here every now and again. just remember like posted above, opinions are like asholes, everyone has one. Don't let it get to you my friend

Brent