Passenger side kick panel removal

Mera

In my quest to keep my 87 GN as close to original as possible I want to put in a new chip for today's gas (I am adding some 110 race gas for the time being so I can have some fun) but I do not want to pop the gray pin holding the ECM cover in place. So my question is: Can that whole panel be removed or are there screws under the ECM panel that have to be removed to get the whole panel out? If it is possible to remove the whole panel I will upgrade to a pump gas chip. If not I'll probably keep adding some 110 octane to each tank. I don't drive it all that much so adding the race gas is not that much of a hassle.

Thanks
Rodney

The pin that holds the ECU in place is just a push pin. Carefully pry it out. Pull the ECU at the bottom out and down. The entire kick panel and ECU will come out. Slide the ECU out from the kick panel. Remove 2 screws and the chip can be easily removed. There was a recall on the cars when they were new. If the previous owner took it in then the chip was changed due to the recall anyway so it's probably not the original chip anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the 2 links I sent you and quit playing around mixing race has. [emoji846]

The pin that holds the ECU in place is just a push pin. Carefully pry it out. Pull the ECU at the bottom out and down. The entire kick panel and ECU will come out. Slide the ECU out from the kick panel. Remove 2 screws and the chip can be easily removed. There was a recall on the cars when they were new. If the previous owner took it in then the chip was changed due to the recall anyway so it's probably not the original chip anyway.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding

Looking on ebay for a pin I find that kick panel can not be removed to expose the ECM. The ECM is over that panel and under the cover. So even if one removes the panel the ECM is still not accessible. But one could probably push the retainer pin out from the backside and have a lot less chance of breaking it. But I doubt I would want to do all that.

Rodney

Hmmmmm? People are always being told to ask. If there is anything you need to know about your GN just ask, there are no dumb questions except those not asked! So, Mera asks a question and gets slambed and ridiculed. Nice!

Hmmmmm? People are always being told to ask. If there is anything you need to know about your GN just ask, there are no dumb questions except those not asked! So, Mera asks a question and gets slambed and ridiculed. Nice!

SOOOOO you expected something different on here?

D

Do you have an opposable thumb?

Do you have fingernails?

Reasonable hand strength?

That is all that is required to remove that plastic pin & access the ECM. It's not a hand grenade.

Give Turbo Tweak ( http://www.turbotweakstore.com ) a call, order a modern chip & get after it.

You should also consider replacing the fuel pressure regulator with a Bosch #237, new fuel pump, run a dedicated power supply to fuel pump (Hot-Wire Kit) & install a Scanmaster. These items will improve reliability.

Last edited: