P&P heads effect on Spool

Marc87GN

I'm planning the following mods within a month.

P&P heads/Intake (At VPE Racing)
PT61
PTE FMIC
Higher Stall converter.
Stage I trans from CKPerf. when this one breaks

My question is how much does better flowing heads impact the spool time? I plan to only get a 2800 stall converter and I'm also using the RJC controller. Do I need a 3200+ stall with Stage 3 heads that will probably flow 50+% more on the exhaust side?

Regardless of whether the heads help spool or not...you will need more than 2800 for that PT61. No doubt about it. 3200 is about the minimum if you want to enjoy it on the street at all.

Originally posted by c&cgn
Regardless of whether the heads help spool or not...you will need more than 2800 for that PT61. No doubt about it. 3200 is about the minimum if you want to enjoy it on the street at all.

I wonder if there is anyone that is running a PT61 with P&P heads. I'm trying not to go over 3K stall because of the around town driving a I do. I had a 3200 stall in my mustang and around town was a mpg nightmare.

PT 61

I have a PT 61 turbo with ported heads and intake. I have a B&M Hole shot converter that is around 2800 - 3200 and the car is awsome at the track and on the street.

Re: PT 61

Originally posted by Turbo Zo1
I have a PT 61 turbo with ported heads and intake. I have a B&M Hole shot converter that is around 2800 - 3200 and the car is awsome at the track and on the street.

I appreciate the info. It just makes logical sense since I have seen the stock flow numbers and then the VPE Stage 3 flow numbers and the difference is incredible. With so much additional exhaust flowing, It would have to shorten the spool time significantly.

I don't mind a little lag because my 99 GT would spin the 315/35 D/Rs like nothing from a standstill with the 3200 stall.

I can't wait to see how the new setup runs.

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I wonder if there is anyone that is running a PT61 with P&P heads. I'm trying not to go over 3K stall because of the around town driving a I do. I had a 3200 stall in my mustang and around town was a mpg nightmare.

These cars arent like others,a big stall is damn near invisible till you lay into the gas.Just get a big trans cooler:)

You will not notice the difference between a 2800 and 3200 stall convertor on the street, except when you floor it. At that point, you will be disappointed with anything less than 3200 as the turbo will spool too slow to be any fun (at least IMHO).

I have used a PT52 with a 3200 stall and it was a great driver on the street and pulled great ET's and 60' times at the track.

Since you guys have more experience with these cars, I will get a 3200 stall converter. I was concerned because I will definitely be in O/D since the car shifts around 5K noy like the 6200 rpm upshifts in the GT. I actually have 24K gvw trans cooler already but I will be moving it to make room for the PTE FMIC.

Thanks guys.

#5X. " Extreme Duty Power Raptor Lock-up " Fits 200-4R transmissions. This is a 9 1/2 inch converter with a 12 inch lock-up carbon fiber clutch rated up to 700 horse power. Can be ordered in stall speeds of 2000 to 4000 RPM. We stock 2600, 2800, 3000 and 3200. Lower 60 foot times and improved quarter mile times, an average of 1/2 second reduction! The Ultimate Top of the Line Lock-Up Converter. Cost $550.00.

Has anyone used it?

I have CK's 9x11 3600 and a PT52 turbo

My long block is completely stock.

I will admit I had my doubts. Chris suggested it. I went ahead and went with his decision. I can only say one thing "Chris nailed it". It's the perfect converter. I love it. The rev's come way down just like normal when it's locked up and cruising on the highway. I only notice the stall when I'm at WOT down low. With this much converter, you will need to manually lock it up while racing. I picked up .2 tenths in the 1/8 locking it up.

On the stock D5 converter, I could only rev to 2500 rpm on the line, now I leave at around 3400 rpm.

The car is only raced at the track on the average of 1 time every couple of months. Not that often.

90 % is on the street and to work on Friday's.

I also have an aftermarket tranny cooler and I am still using the stock cooler in the radiator.