Options when MAF dies

DCVING 6

My MAF has been fine as of yet, (knock on wood). I was just wondering what the options/benefits are of the non-factory MAF systems out there.

In my situation, I won't ever be going quicker than 12.00. :rolleyes: At least for a few years. Most likely my future will include TE-44, stock ported heads, and bluetops. I'm not going to be running any higher than 100 octane. No alky ethier.
:D

That should be about it. Thanks. :)

Well you've got the LT1 MAF and translator, a hair over $300 including the sensor

You've got a replacement POS rebuilt, about $80

You could go with a Mafless MaxEffort, not on the market yet but I think it will be soon.

Look at my sig and you will see what I chose

maf

Advance is selling a new not rebuilt one(do not know what brand or how good) for 74.00.Bruce

If you change over to an LS1 or LT1 maf and trans do you need to install a chip for that trans set-up or will any chip work ok?

Originally posted by Mike Mags
If you change over to an LS1 or LT1 maf and trans do you need to install a chip for that trans set-up or will any chip work ok?

Any chip should work fine.

Some chips are very sensitive to POS aftermarket MAF's. The Trans/LT1 setup is as good as a OEM AC ever was and is 10X more durable and flows more air. They are even cheaper, too, once you buy the trans.

So there is actually a performance gain with the LT1+trans setup right?
I thought the stock MAF was limited to only like 225 gps. I assume then that the LT1 can read way more than the LS1.

Is there much difference between the LT1 & LS1? Like which is the "better" to get.

GET THE TRANLATOR AND LT1 MAF!

I just installed a lt1 maf and translator today. Idles 100% better, smoother acceleration just a major, major,major improvement over the stock maf which only had 45,000 miles. If you need another maf do it. A stock replacement maf will cost $100.00 + if you get a good one the first time. It will need to be replaced, and are fragile. THe LT1 maf is almost bullet proof, better/newer technology, and you have fuel tuning capability. The price for both will be under $300.00 but you wont have to worry about it for years....if ever. Buy it.

Just the peace of mind of not having to worry about when your MAF will take a dump is worth the price of admission of getting a LT1 or LS1 MAF and translator/translator+. The only time I would think anyone would even want to keep a Buick MAF is if their car is a 100% stock show car. Seeing a GN come in to a Turbo Regal show in PA a few years on the back of a tow truck because the MAF failed was enough convincing for me to switch over. The tunability of the + with the Extender chip is a bonus.

Originally posted by DCVING 6
So there is actually a performance gain with the LT1+trans setup right?
I thought the stock MAF was limited to only like 225 gps. I assume then that the LT1 can read way more than the LS1.

Is there much difference between the LT1 & LS1? Like which is the "better" to get.

There is no difference in what the MAF's themselves can or cant read. All can read up to 255gps. If you purchase the Extender chip then the capability is increased to 512gps.

The LS1 is 3.5" vs. the LT1 which is 3", so the LS1 has the potential to flow more air.

I've been hearing alot of talk around here about new mafs. It seems to me that it might be worth going ahead and inatalling a new LT1 with trans even though my stock maf is fine. I read the ramchargers info about installation. I'm not a big mechanic, more of a tinkerer. Is it easy enough for me to install the translator. Cutting the wireing makes me nervous.
Any real time tips or suggestions?
thanks

you only have to cut the factory wiring if you are installing the trans plus. The wire you cut is for timing adjustments. I got the trans plus, but havent hooked up the timing wires yet. All the other stuff is plug and play. You dont cut anything, they have adapters to convert everything included in the kit.
You can use any chip with the setup, but the real potential is when you add the extender chip to the package. I havent gotten the chip for mine yet, but I hear lots of good things about it.
I went with the 3.5" MAF, because it fits in place of my stock one in the CAI kit without using the plastic adapters.

Wow. Am I the only exception to the rule? My car still has the original MAF, almost 130K miles, and it still pegs 250+ acording to the Scanmaster. I guess I need to be prepared to go to the LTI MAF and translator eventually.

i know it is not the cheapest way out, but i just dig in and bought a FAST system, i tried teh other setups and ya they are better than the stock setup but none can compare to FAST,and best of all no more mass air meter!!

maf problem

I just had one fail (an advance auto one) after doing my first burnout at cecil this weekend. Unless you have a spare along , your done racing. I did run 11.50@120.5 with this sensor but they are very fragile. I will be buying a translator and new GM sensor soon. For what it is worth

it is a stand alone fullly programmable ecm (non emissions though) it runs about 2000 and is easy to install,but way safer tuning and way better driveabilty
Otto

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
it is a stand alone fullly programmable ecm (non emissions though) it runs about 2000 and is easy to install,but way safer tuning and way better driveabilty
Otto

Nice enough systems, but why not tell him what you "don't" get for the $2,000 ? As nice as these systems are, they just aren't meant for a daily driven street car. Oh they'll work, but don't have the capabilities that the stock ECM has for the daily driving chores.

2,000 won't get you TCC lock control. No A/C control for WOT shutoff. No sequential fuel injection. Don't forget to talk about the several hundred dollars extra for the wideband O2, etc. etc.

Not knocking FAST, it's just that it's not a system that should be recommended for a daily driver.

for 2000 my came with a wide band,and i did by it new, as far as lock up and a/c a couple of well though out switches can control the rest,as far as for a daily driver,it is my only car and out side waht you mentioned it does have no emissions controls (egr)
but WAY MORE tunabilty than any chip or mass air meter

Used DFI and install for about 750 total, no more MAFs to think about.... that is what i did

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
for 2000 my came with a wide band,and i did by it new, as far as lock up and a/c a couple of well though out switches can control the rest,as far as for a daily driver,it is my only car and out side waht you mentioned it does have no emissions controls (egr)
but WAY MORE tunabilty than any chip or mass air meter

Like I said, It isn't my intention to bad mouth the system. It's just that when someone (anyone) extoles the virtues of FAST or DFI or any system like that you must keep your target audience in mind.
We've got a lot of new folks that are getting into the T/R community, and they take what is said here very seriously. Please don't mislead them.

Most have to be concerned that it will work in a daily driver, and get through the various smog inspections throughout the US.
Yes it's a good system, BUT NOT for a daily driver that needs to worry about emissions, and other daily conveniences.

And who wants to have to worry about a TCC manual switch on a daily driver :confused:

See what I mean?