Options when MAF dies

Plus a FAST system is TOO tunable for a newbie to these cars IMO. I think once Steve Y and Red Armstrong get the bugs out of their Mafless systems we will be looking that way. For a car that runs 11.5 or slower the stock ECM does a damn fine job IMO

you are definetly right there, this is not something for a newbie to be using,too tunable is the right thing to say. you can do servere damage with the wrong tuning.But i have also seen some pretty destuctive things happen to factory ecm when tuned wrong(although alot less for the driver to mess up),but on he other hand with hte wide band O2 and a correction factor you input even whe nsomething goes wrong hte computer will compensate for it \, your factory ecm will not
Otto

Originally posted by Rocket Man
Wow. Am I the only exception to the rule? My car still has the original MAF
Both of mine still have the original MAF..knock on wood...I'm waiting to see what come of the mafless systems, then will be going to something else at that point, LT1/+/extender most likely unless the mafless proves to be a great system... and put the GN MAF up in a box incase the TTA MAF craps, I'll have a spare...

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Both of mine still have the original MAF..knock on wood...I'm waiting to see what come of the mafless systems, then will be going to something else at that point, LT1/+/extender most likely unless the mafless proves to be a great system... and put the GN MAF up in a box incase the TTA MAF craps, I'll have a spare...

Hey Rob, I installed the Trans+ last weekend (only 2 wires to splice, btw. No big deal) and it works like a charm. The ability to fine tune fuel and timing is well worth the extra $100 for the + over the base Translator, IMHO. I wouldn't waste the money on the Extender ship, however. I bought one, and altho it ran smooth as a new car, power was way down. Since you are here in DFW, go see Billy Duke. (817-847-5144) I have 2 custom chips from him, a 26 (street) and 28 degree strip, and the power diff between the BD's and the extender is incredible.

Hey John, will the current chips I already have work with the Trans+ system? I also have a chip burner setup but have not fooled with the GN chips yet so I can tweak the ones I have already if needed.

I hate to bring to the table this. The FAST and its breatheren are very good systems and for race applications only I feel it is very good. Not to say they do not run on the street fine. They seem to do quite well infact. The issues here is user friendly. I can tell you that any form of after market ecm is not going to be easily user friendly. It takes time to tune and learn. Again this does not make it a bad choice just different. I would also like to point out that 3 major classes at BOP in bristol and some wins at the nats were run on stock ECM's with a Maxeffort chip. I personally run the stock ecm a maxeffort chip and the LT1 maf and trans iny 11's car. So far tunning is easy and I can get done anything I need that I could get from a FAST except WOT fueling. This however with some track time can be over come. FAST is great and works good. For the average guy running a 11 or slower car, I do not think it is worth the money as you can spend it on a good chip and trans be much better off. This is of course personal opinion only. I will stick with the stock ECM until I build a race car.

Hey John, will the current chips I already have work with the Trans+ system? I also have a chip burner setup but have not fooled with the GN chips yet so I can tweak the ones I have already if needed.

Hi Rob, yep, any chip will work w/the Trans/+. You just set the third dip switch accordingly. The instructions will come with the unit, and there is a list of the settings permenantly affixed to the back side of it's cover. I should have the car out at the track soon. I would be out there tomorrow, but had to order a new Powermaster booster today. Stopping is good.... :)
Say hi to Rob #2

206,000 miles on my stocker maf. I have the max effort, so when mine dies, I'll be going mafless.

Originally posted by Matt Weiser
Anyone know if the LT1 MAF and Translator are smog legal in Calif.?

Technically speaking they don't have a CARB exemption number. BUT, I've never heard of one getting thrown out because of one. And the extra tuneability actually makes getting through a lot easier. You just can't use the Extender chip when going through smog because it has no EGR functionality.

I don't race my car nor do too much tunning, is the regular translator good?
Does the translator come with new MAF or is that seperate?

Originally posted by Mike Mags
I don't race my car nor do too much tunning, is the regular translator good?
Does the translator come with new MAF or is that seperate?

The regular Translator should do you fine. But what about when the race bug eventually bites you? It will you know ;)

The Translator and MAF are sold seperately, mainly because there are two different Translators, and two different MAF's to choose from.

Translator
Translator plus
3" LT1 MAF
3.5" LS1 MAF

Mix and match as you see fit.

I think what would fit your application best (street/show) would be the regular Translator, and 3" should be good.

I have the big mouth 3" system, Id like to go with 3"LT1 maf. I checked out Ram Chargers site. $179 for the basic trans. Does that include the MAF. Or is that extra? Do they have the MAF's?

Thanks again as always..

Originally posted by Mike Mags
I have the big mouth 3" system, Id like to go with 3"LT1 maf. I checked out Ram Chargers site. $179 for the basic trans. Does that include the MAF. Or is that extra? Do they have the MAF's?

Thanks again as always..
The MAF is not included with the Trans, for the LT1 MAF I think its $139. Since the inlet pipe is 3", I'd go with the 3.5" LS1 MAF since the 3" MAF would be a slight restriction in air flow compared to the 3" inlet pipe. Then you can grow into it if needed down the road, can't hurt.

I have the 3" maf pipe, wouldn't the 3.5 LS1 maf not fit properly?
Or is there couplers for the fit? Does it look good?
Also where do i get the new MAF? Ramchargers? GM?

The MAF is not included with the Trans, for the LT1 MAF I think its $139. Since the inlet pipe is 3", I'd go with the 3.5" LS1 MAF since the 3" MAF would be a slight restriction in air flow compared to the 3" inlet pipe. Then you can grow into it if needed down the road, can't hurt.

Mike,

Ramchargers sells a step-down coupler for your MAF to inlet pipe. I went w/a 3.5" MAF, as I had an extra stock one from my Corvette. Works like a charm. Ramchargers has the MAF's as well as everything else you need. If you don't see the couplers on the website, just call them and ask. The setup does look good, better than the stock MAF, IMHO. You will love the drive-ability difference.