Opinions on these mods please.....be honest

I meant the driveshaft. Does someone make an upgrade driveshaft for the GN?

Yes, there's Moser, Inland Empire (california), and Denny's Driveshaft. All have online websites. I'm going with a 3.5" aluminum Moser driveshaft, but I need to measure the length for them (they do not have a spec on-hand). I'm also upgrading to 1350 series yokes at both ends. I don't know much about the 1350 yokes other than they're stronger (solid steel, no grease passages inside) and bigger than stock.

Vegas,
I should have my Moser driveshaft setup measured and built up sometime within the next 2-3 weeks. I can send you the specs once I have it installed in the car and verified OK. That would save you some measurement headaches. With the 1350 yokes, step one is to get the rear yoke (the pinion yoke) and install it. Then measure from the yoke center line to the trans, then order the driveshaft based on that measurement.

The other companies (Inland Empire, Denny's) may have specs on-hand for a GN.

Any idea what the actual numbers to be gained may be on a 600hp set up? I'm also going to address the brakes very soon.

There is no way that is going to make 600 horsepower.

Vegas,
I should have my Moser driveshaft setup measured and built up sometime within the next 2-3 weeks. I can send you the specs once I have it installed in the car and verified OK. That would save you some measurement headaches. With the 1350 yokes, step one is to get the rear yoke (the pinion yoke) and install it. Then measure from the yoke center line to the trans, then order the driveshaft based on that measurement.

The other companies (Inland Empire, Denny's) may have specs on-hand for a GN.

That would be AWESOME of you and I would really appreciate that. Thank you sir!! :D

From the time I was a kid we drooled over the Grand Nationals and I recall a dealership called kasch fine cars in oak lawn IL. It was about a 35 min trek from where I lived but we would go down there just to stare at the GN's. Kasch would always have at least 3-4 GN's on his lot at all times. They have been the object of my affection since WELL before I was old enough to drive. :D
Funny you would mention this car lot. I too found myself checking out the lot often back then just for these cars, probably ran into you at one point..lol... I do recall they turned ALOT of these cars, quickly. Sometimes having 6 to 8 of them at once on the lot.
(Just FYI- It was Burbank.;) )

Sorry for threadjackin' again....:redface:

I was really hoping you were going to do something off the beaten path but it looks like youre just going to have another cookie cutter car.

Funny you would mention this car lot. I too found myself checking out the lot often back then just for these cars, probably ran into you at one point..lol... I do recall they turned ALOT of these cars, quickly. Sometimes having 6 to 8 of them at once on the lot.

I used to love going down there and drooling over the GN's. They ALWAYS seemed to have a ton of them. I don't know if the lot still exists or not, but they were known for GN's back in that day.

I was really hoping you were going to do something off the beaten path but it looks like youre just going to have another cookie cutter car.

This is the first of three. ;) I basically WANT this one to be a pretty common set up that has some proven parts, and proven set ups, that will stand up to a lot of street cruising in the desert heat. Patience please. haha. The other two are going to be something radical. :D BTW, I've been checking out your header thread. I'll need some of those at some point I think on one of these cars. :D

Yep! I remember when they had a TTA after I got mine. I went to look at it and it was pretty beat up... They also had full page ads of just GN's...

Yep! I remember when they had a TTA after I got mine. I went to look at it and it was pretty beat up... They also had full page ads of just GN's...

They do still exist, but all they have right now is a 2003 Buick Regal. :eek: My how times have changed. ;)

Kasch Fine Cars The New Car Alternative for pre owned cars, trucks, vans, SUV & classics.

The last time I was up there they were stocked with GN's, Formula 350's, IROC's, etc......of course that was a good dozen years ago. Seems they have gone a different direction these days. haha

They do still exist, but all they have right now is a 2003 Buick Regal. :eek: My how times have changed. ;)

The last time I was up there they were stocked with GN's, Formula 350's, IROC's, etc......of course that was a good dozen years ago. Seems they have gone a different direction these days. haha
Oh, they are still there. I think the key to a used car lot is profits, so they have chanegd a bit. And the cars as seen on the lot, well... I'd guess they have whatever runs through the auctions these days.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they have a stock pile of GNs (and perhaps a GNX or 2) with little to no miles in a warehouse somewhere. Either way, it was a cool place to stop and "window shop" not so long ago. No reason to stop there now though..:wink:

driveshaft measurements

Vegas,
I installed my new Moser 1350 series forged pinion yoke and ordered my driveshaft today.

I measured the following dimensions with the suspension loaded:
Yoke flat to trans seal: 54 5/16
Yoke flat to trans output shaft: 53 3/4

I'll let you know how it fits when it arrives next week.

Steve

Vegas,
I installed my new Moser 1350 series forged pinion yoke and ordered my driveshaft today.

Steve

Thank you sir. Much appreciated. :)

Vegas,

Steve

It fits! And its smooooooth on the highway. And it didn't break when I got on it. Makes me giddy. But guess what... the box it came in says Inland Empire! I guess Moser is just selling their stuff.

I've really been checking it out due to the suggestions in this thread. I REALLY appreciate how you guys have taken the time to help me out since I'm still very new with these cars. I think I'm going to have Jack Cotton do an engine for this car for me. I spoke with him this week about it.

Check out the current issue of GM Hightech. Cotton built a car for the editor, Rick Jensen. It was a 5 part article. He drove it to the track, ran 10's, then drove it home. If you want I could copy the article and mail it to you.