Opinions on these mods please.....be honest

VegasSE

:D I can take it if you guys think anything is a dumb move or could be improved upon. It's pretty much all done or being done, so I can't go back on it now, but in TOTAL honesty, what would you do to improve upon this set up in terms of performance. Obviously cosmetics are subjective, so no need to address that. In terms of pure performance, what would you do to improve the car based on what I've already done?

BTW, I don't need an alky kit. I will be running either MS 109 or C16 full time.

THANKS!!!!

1986 Grand National

Stock Block bored .30 over
Comp Cam timing chain + gears
New rod + main bearings
JE Custom Pistons
Comp 212 Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
Comp Hydraulic Lifters
CV Pushrods
Cometic Head Gaskets
Manley Valve Springs
Total Seal Gapless Rings
Competition Valve Job
Ported Intake/Exhaust Runners + Bowls
Reconditioned Stock Rods
Reconditioned Stock Crank
Precision TA52 Turbo
Precision 60lb injectors
Precision Front Mount intercooler
Precision Fuel Pump
Tial BOV
RJS Boost Controller
Accufab Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Accufab 65mm Polished Throttle Body
Accufab 65mm Polished Instake
3 Inch Impala MAF Sensor
MAF Translator
MSD 8.5mm Plug Wires
Billet Vacuum Block
Polished Aluminum Turbo Shield
Polished Aluminum Washer Cover
Chrome Battery Cover
Polished Aluminum Alternator Cover
Buick Motorsports Coated Valve Covers
Custom Virtual Works 3.5 inch Exhaust
Custom Virtual Works 3.5 Chrome down pipe
Custom Virtual Works 3.5 inch Polished Intercooler Pipe
Custom Virtual Works 3 inch Polished up pipe
Big Mouth MAF intake w/K&N cone
QA1 Pro Coil Over Rear Suspension
QA1 Pro Coil Over Front Suspension
HR Parts Rear Sway Bar
HR Parts Street/Strip Rear Suspension Package
HR Parts Upper + Lower Rear Control arms
Poston Driveshaft Loop
Turbo Tweak Chip for 109 octane
Street/Strip CK 200 Trans
3200 Stall CK Converter
Eaton Posi
CenterLine Auto Drag front + rear rims
MT ET Street Radials Front + rear (275/60/15 rear)
Smoked Signal Markers
Smoked Side Markers
Smoked Taillights
LED Taillight Conversion
TR Center Console Plates
RJS Billet Horn Ring w/TR GN Horn Logo
Poston Console Raiser
20% Tinted Windows
Poston Fiberglass Rear Bumper w/Aluminum braces
Poston Fiberglass Front Bumper w/Aluminum braces
Poston GNX Dash w/VDO Gauges
Assorted Chrome Accents

RJC Racing light weight pulleys ?? They're stock diameter not uderdrive but still a great way to loose rotational mass & free up some hp.

RJC Racing light weight pulleys ?? They're stock diameter not uderdrive but still a great way to loose rotational mass & free up some hp.

Any idea what the actual numbers to be gained may be on a 600hp set up? I'm also going to address the brakes very soon.

No girdle? How about a stroker Kit? What heads?
You really dont need a BOV

Also what are your goals? How Fast?

All that money being spent why didnt you just get a set of heads from a reputable Buick vendor like Champion, Weber, DLS, etc?

You'd have tons more power with the right combination of heads, cam, and turbo than all the fancy junk... that all is does is look pretty.

No girdle? How about a stroker Kit? What heads?
You really dont need a BOV

Also what are your goals? How Fast?

The engine is already done and was done by the previous owner. I'd like to eventually change it. The goal of THIS one is go have a nice street driven car that has reasonable reliability to just cruise around but that I can take the to the strip and run solid 10's if I so choose.

BTW, YES I want the car to look like a show car when it's done, so yes all the cosmetic goodies are important to me, and cost is secondary.

All that money being spent why didnt you just get a set of heads from a reputable Buick vendor like Champion, Weber, DLS, etc?

You'd have tons more power with the right combination of heads, cam, and turbo than all the fancy junk... that all is does is look pretty.

Any suggestions are welcome. :) I'm pretty much open to just about anything. I have the Duttweiler 388 TT car, and the 87 is going to get a full Anderson Stage II set up, so this one is more of a tame street car. I'm open to suggestion so let me know exactly what you would do and what set up you would run.

I think your going to need a bigger turbo for solid 10's

If you already have 2 other Fast buicks. Sell the 86 and get a GNX as a nice tame original street car. :eek:

Me personally, I think with alot of the stuff you have you could use a larger turbo! like a TE45a or something close to it. I have to agree with Razor on the combination thing. The RIGHT Combination means everything!! People fight & spend money hand over fist for years to get the right combination. then once they do they don't realize that they could have bought one already done for less. Okay back to the topic :D Honestly with what you have the turbo is too small to me.

You also could use a Alky kit, If you plan on it being a street car you will not be dissapointed!!!!
Send this back to Eric "Turbo Tweak Chip for 109 octane" and get one for an alky kit using 93 octane...

No need for this at all: "Tial BOV"

Also if you went up in a turbo it might be nice to move up into the 3500-3800 stall converter area.

OH and : Scot W's > LED Taillight Conversion :)

Scot W.

with all that airflow through the motor and a 3200 stall, you can definately make use of more turbo.

I think your going to need a bigger turbo for solid 10's

If you already have 2 other Fast buicks. Sell the 86 and get a GNX as a nice tame original street car. :eek:

Me personally, I think with alot of the stuff you have you could use a larger turbo! like a TE45a or something close to it. I have to agree with Razor on the combination thing. The RIGHT Combination means everything!! People fight & spend money hand over fist for years to get the right combination. then once they do they don't realize that they could have bought one already done for less. Okay back to the topic :D Honestly with what you have the turbo is too small to me.

You also could use a Alky kit, If you plan on it being a street car you will not be dissapointed!!!!
Send this back to Eric "Turbo Tweak Chip for 109 octane" and get one for an alky kit using 93 octane...

Scot W.

with all that airflow through the motor and a 3200 stall, you can definately make use of more turbo.

What would you guys suggest specifically in terms of turbo?

unless you plan on really turning up the wick, i would go with a pt66 or 67 bb! and since money is not an issue or so it seems: IWOULD GET A SET OF T/A SE ALUMINUM HEADS FULLY PORTED WITH MATCHING CAM!

What would you guys suggest specifically in terms of turbo?
I mentioned it! A TE45a or like the guys that have just posted would work fine too.

If you go with a DBB turbo then your stall may work fine, If you go with a regular bearing turbo you would more than likely need more stall.

Scot W.

A bb GTQ67.

Perfect.

unless you plan on really turning up the wick, i would go with a pt66 or 67 bb! and since money is not an issue or so it seems: IWOULD GET A SET OF T/A SE ALUMINUM HEADS FULLY PORTED WITH MATCHING CAM!

I was going to run this one to death, then have an engine built with a bullet proof crank, rods, etc.....and then really do nice heads on it when I go that route. Good plan?

Razor is spot on! Understood you want to rag out what you have now but that setup your getting now will not necessarily be appropriate for your bottom end redo so then you may end up spending money twice.
Of course if money is no concern, which only leads me to one question? Whats your day job? lol!! Theres nothing more than I would like than a 10 sec street / show car and a Supra to spare :biggrin:
( plus it helps that Im still young enough to change careers)

Plus you keep mentioning your running Race gas so you have no need for Alky but Alky has two benefits 1. Raise Explosiveness 2. and cools the incharge.
Race gas will not help cool your intake

Definitely bigger turbo at least

Everyone agrees on this one...

Bigger turbo for sure. I was looking into a 67GTQ but after finding out its only making about 25-30 more horsepower I didnt think it was worth the extra 700 bucks so I stayed with the 67 BB. The only other thing I was going to mention was the stock crank and no mention of steel caps. But I see that there are future plans to address that.

Any suggestions are welcome. :) I'm pretty much open to just about anything. I have the Duttweiler 388 TT car, and the 87 is going to get a full Anderson Stage II set up, so this one is more of a tame street car. I'm open to suggestion so let me know exactly what you would do and what set up you would run.

Well tame street and 109+ octane fuel are oxymorons.

Man from all the Buicks i've messed with.. especially driven.. My choice of parts would put the car into the possible high 10 second range and have it spool like mad. I'd do a 3200-3400 stall 9x11 lockup for a converter, a 6152 or equivalent ball bearing turbo, set of Champion irons, a 212/212 roller cam, set of 275 60 drag radials.. stretch stock location IC, leave the bottom end stock(pistons, crank, rods, etc) an alky kit, matching chip.. car will purrrr like a kitten.. runs low 11's at 20-21 PSI boost.. and the drivability will make you want to drive the car everywhere.

While I like the bigger turbo's(who doesnt) for a street car that "gets it" done... nothing like a smaller turbo and roller cam. No lag.. no need to spool it up.. mash and go.

You already have your "Fast" cars.. a mid 11 second driver stays together for a very long time... a 10 second driver is always having wrenches turned.

I've driven 9 second, 10 second, 11 second Buicks. My favorite is the column shift bench seat Limited variety with the above mods.. Best of both worlds.

Just my .02

already bought your injectors,if you can the turbo let me know....:biggrin:

haha. I'm leaning toward pulling the whole darn thing out and just going with something more extreme. I have issues....I know. :tongue: