Opinions on SRT-4

SloRegal

My girlfriend is really thinking about getting and 04 SRT-4, she says she wants something some what fast to take to the track just for fun and daily driver. Anybody on the board owns one. What are the likes and dislikes? Is it bad on gas. Do they respond well to mods. Thanks Carlos

They are a nice car for the money, but I wouldn't let my girlfriend or wife drive one. In the hands of someone not familiar with the peculiar handling characteristics of a high performance front wheel drive car, they are a triple rollover waiting to happen.

The first time she goes into a corner too fast and then lets off too fast, she'll know what I am talking about.

I'd pay a little more a get a Subaru Forester XT turbo. Same high 13 second 1/4 miles, but AWD and room to haul your stuff.

i'm with him ^^^^ i saw some pics of an accident that happened around here and some chic was racing around in her srt-4 and rolled it and flipped it and yeah not a good scene

A freind of mine at work just got a blue one. very fast car for the money, but remember, its till a neon. its pretty damn junky if you ask me. but still a nice car for the money

A freind of mine at work just got a blue one. very fast car for the money, but remember, its till a neon. its pretty damn junky if you ask me. but still a nice car for the money

My bro-in-law has one and it's a damn nice car for under $20k! The motor is stout, they are really quick stock and respond well to mods, gets ~29 mpg on the highway if he can keep his foot out of it, and the seats ROCK! Other than the body and a few other things, there are not many parts shared with a regular Neon.

Its a pretty nice and fast car, however I agree about the handling. The SRT-4 has some peculiar handling, and is not a simple car to drive. We had one down at our Novice autocross school this past weekend and one of our instructors managed to lose control and crash into and over a curb, front subframe is toast probably. This guy was an advanced driver with many years of experience... however he was driving like an ass when it happened and he will probably have some legal problems to deal with now.

What about the GT Cruiser or whatever it's called. Same engine but in the PT Cruiser. Haven't heard too much about them.

Originally posted by 231twannabe
What about the GT Cruiser or whatever it's called. Same engine but in the PT Cruiser. Haven't heard too much about them.

They aren't nearly as fast but they look a lot better in my opinon.

The Neon....let's see, they should've made it rear wheel drive and PUT A HEMI IN IT !

Nuf said.

:D

Carlos,

When they come out have your GirlFriend take a look at the Saab 9-2X....It is basicly a WRX, but it is a Saab.....Turbo, AWD, and looks as if it will be below $25,000 (not sure on the price)...

They should be hitting dealers lots pretty soon.....I work for a Saab/Jaguar Dealer and we have not gotten one in yet.

I have one. i like the car. If you compare it to anything else in the price range it is hard to not buy one. I have had up to 34 mpg out of it. The ECU is a little tricky and compensates for almost everything you do to it to bring it back to stock HP levels but it is still fun. It gets alot more attention than the Buicks with the younger crowd (even girls like it unlike the Buicks) if you are around that age.

I'm sure it would hold it's value allot better than the other cars in it's price range by the time you got done paying for it.

It seems like a cool quick car, but I still question mopar quality. I was talking to a guy at the track, his car was running high 13's and he had broken both axles in less than 20k miles. He wasn't running slicks or DR's either.

I guess the 7/70 warranty is still hard to beat though.

Pete

My friend has one and it is alot of fun. He has a few mods and just put on stage 2 this week. Last time at the track it went 13.4, we are hopeing it will break into the 12's now. The axles are supposed to be able to take about 400hp to the wheels, he runs drag radials and has never had a problem. Cheap, fast, and fun bottomline:D

A budy of mine just got one. We should start tweaking it in the next couple of weeks.

Very nice & very hard to beat for the price. Handles VERY well.

If I could keep my Durango I'd have one in a second.

Thanks for your reply guys. I test drove it yesterday. It feels pretty strong for what it is. She test drove it of course. I told her about the dangers mention above, and she said she is not a autocross racer or a street racer(which I can verify that when my head almost gets smacked out the driver window whenever I street race in the GN:) ) Tomorrow will be the day if she is gonna get it or not. Thanks Carlos