Opinions on a driving issue

GrandV6

Car was recently purchased from original owner. It is a low mile car (under 10k) that apparently sat for some time as the owner had passed away several years ago. Car is BONE FACTORY STOCK. I noticed when I'm driving normal (no boost).....say 25 to 40 mph in stop & go traffic when I initially accelerate there is slight jerky feeling to the forward motion. Nothing severe and doesn't happen all the time. Seems like its more frquent when i've been driving a while. Again only felt in that first second or two of normal acceleration and sometimes it's felt when I lift off the gas too. Doesn't feel like anything serious but its annoying when driving in city traffic. Had new spark plug wires put on (actually they are mint OEM wires taken off a 2k car when it was new & stored) and I had a basic test done my coil pack which checked OK. Other than changing fluids and the wires I reall haven't done anything to the car. Drives good on highway

Any ideas? Could this be some kind of fuel problem? I was told it still has the stock chip in it THANKS

Could be a fuel problem. No one should be using a stock pump at this point. Get a new one with a hot wire. I probably would not drive with factory wires either for the same reason I wouldn't drive on original 2k tires. I would through a scanmaster on it and run through the numbers.

I would update to a modern computer chip like the turbo tweek from eric would be the most noticeable improvement in everyday driving

They fuel pump and FP's powerwire were undersized in 1987.

Now the pump and injectors are 1/4 century old. They need to be replaced no matter what the mileage.

I would dump some fuel injector cleaner in the tank. My 26k mile car runs fine with stock chip in city traffic. Even has original fuel pump. I did add a hot wire but that's it. I would also check for vacuum leaks, maybe swap the MAF sensor for a known good one. If you plan on driving it much, I would just get an LT1 MAF/translator. So is the stumble when you first start out or is it between 25-40 mph when you accelerate? Could be what they used to call tip in stumble but I think that is when you are first starting out. As stated, a modern chip could solve your issues.