Operation: Trackday

gnon18s

Hi everyone, I decided to start a build thread for anyone wanting to follow along with me on this journey to get my 87' Grand National ready for some road course action! I have owned this car since I was 19 (11 years and counting) but kept modifications to a minimum until now. I was previously running Simmons 18"s on lowering springs and drop spindles with basic bolt-ons and ran 12.00's with the stock turbo. I was happy with the car but always wanted to do a minitub. That, and I started doing a few track days with my C5Z and no longer care about only going fast in a straight line so I decided to redo the chassis starting with a set of 18x9" front, and 19x13" rear wheels! So here we go....

This is what Im starting with. I took this picture on a family trip to the beach a few months ago.
GN rutters.jpg

Made a temporary rear bumper to keep things tied together and started dropping body bolts.
body mounts dropping out.jpg

Pulling the body was surprisingly very easy once the front clip was off. The only snag was I forgot to remove my driveshaft loop and it tore my trans mount.:eek:

Bagging and labeling parts during disassembly. Takes a little longer to take apart but should take alot of guess work out of reassembly.
gn bagging parts.jpg

After the interior was out the first order of business was cutting the factory fuel tank mounts off the trunk floor and cutting out the ugly spare tire well. After the trunk floor is reworked I can center the fuel tank.
tank mounts.JPG
fill tire well1.jpg
fill tire well2.jpg
fill tire well3.jpg

Starting to tub the rear wheel wells, ..Plasma, sawzall, cutoff wheels, you name it and I probably used it!
first cut wheel well.jpg
cutting tools.jpg
no wheelwell right.jpg
ceaned up right.jpg

What size are your Simmons rims and tires in the front? any rub issues...I will be following this thread..
My Simmons wheels where 18x8.5" front, 18x9.5" rear. I think backspacing was @ 4.25 for both but dont quote me I dont remember for sure. They were sold to a member on here a few months ago. My front fenders were trimmed out or they would have rubbed sitting that low.(265/35, 285/35)