Operation: Trackday

Here you can see how the trunk hinges need modified so they dont hang down into the new wheel well.
trunk hinge.jpg

Added around 4" of material to space the stock sheet metal inboard. Im going for a clean factory-appearing look.
new tub1.jpg
new tub2.jpg

Yes, I will be redoing the whole back half of the frame. I will be needing an additional 4-4.5" of clearance. I havent gotten that far yet, as of now the stock chassis and drive train are just sitting covered while ive been finishing the sheet metal work on the body.

The new wheels are Fikse "Profil 5S". I always loved Fikse's and I've seen them on a lot of legit road race cars so I know they are good enough for my thing. I thought about widening my Simmons but that would have been so expensive i decided to just start with a fresh set of Fikses and sell the Simmons since they still bring good money.
rear fikse.jpg
Fikse quality....
fikse quality.jpg

Nicely done. I would do this to fit a 315/60 15 drag radial, but your workmanship is awesome. I am not much on making a car corner, but I love the look, and can appreciate the fabrication.

Thanks for the compliment. Ive always had two sets of wheels for the car, one for street and one for strip. After the car is finished I want to order a killer set of drag wheels with some type of drag radial. Then I can switch back and forth. If you look at the beginning of this thread you can see I had the Simmons 18's and a set of blacked-out Welds/Hoosiers. Everything will just be wider this time around.

Thanks. I couldnt afford to pay a shop to do all this work for me, I have a hard enough time affording some of these high-end parts.

ghetto break.JPG
I wanted to close off the trunk area and add some stiffness to the body so I built a rear "firewall" out of 18ga steel.
sheetmetal pattern.JPG
rear firewall.JPG

tank mount cut.JPG
I dont know how much you guys want to see, but this is one of several tedious things I had to do, The flanges of the fuel tank mounts needed to be swapped from one side to another. When stock, each mount has a "wavy" side and a "straight" side. I needed both wavy sides on one mount and both straight sides on the other mount to be able to center them on the trunk floor. I just cut one flange off each and swapped them. You can see here I started welding one back on where I needed it.
weld tank mt.JPG
View attachment 165873
Tank mt modified.jpg
tank mount cleco.JPG

Quick round of filler to take care of imperfections and getting ready for Epoxy primer.
Body filler trunk.jpg

Finally got around to spraying the trunk and undercarriage. First I sprayed Epoxy primer (PPG DP90), then I sprayed everything in "Raptor" bed liner made by U-POL. The bed liner is tough stuff and is sprayed using a "Shutz" gun. Im really happy with the sheen and texture. Looks like factory, but better and stronger!(These pictures are spraying the epoxy with a 3M accuspray gun)
gun test.JPG
trunk spray2.JPG
well spray.JPG