Old School BMX'ers?

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I thought it would be cool to see how many of us Turbo Buick heads used to be into BMX bikes or are still into BMX bikes..
Back in the day I used to race BMX & Motocross, Raced a (red) REDLINE Proline... Miss that bike!

I will kick this off with my two bikes that hang in the garage collecting dust.

* PK RIPPER - Recently 100% redone All Black, the (GN of BMX)! :biggrin:
* HARO Group 1 - Still all original.

Both bikes are for sale if someones interested... ;)

Scot W.

Attachments

• Haro Group 1 004.jpg
    Haro Group 1 004.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,045
  • PK RIPPER 001.jpg
    PK RIPPER 001.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 802
  • Dingo BMX frame 011.jpg
    Dingo BMX frame 011.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 965
I raced for Factory Schwinn, I actually started riding when I was 4:eek: and raced until I was 18, still rode after for awhile, Got into mountain bikes but I just bought a 29" Big Ripper, BMX was my life and miss it!! Vans, OP shirts,Levi's!!

GT Pro Team. My favorite by far. I stayed with GT's mostly. Bought an S&M Holmes frame but sold it before I rode it. Believe it or not I'm onto road bikes now. I never thought I would ride a ten speed wearing fruit loop spandex, but it's good to be on the road with a bike again.

Scot, that group 1 you posted is the exact copy of what I rode back then. Don't care to see myself fit back on one, or try to use one of those seats again either..lol
Looks to be in pretty good shape. What would a bike like that be worth these days?

Scot, that group 1 you posted is the exact copy of what I rode back then. Don't care to see myself fit back on one, or try to use one of those seats again either..lol
Looks to be in pretty good shape. What would a bike like that be worth these days?
Not really sure to honest. I would be willing to guess between $200-300 for the HARO. and around $550-600 for the PK..

Scot W.

What crankset is on the PK Ripper ? The vintage Redline Flight Cranks bring top dollar on Ebay.

I have a GT Pro series that I built from a frame and fork set in the Mid 80's

What crankset is on the PK Ripper ? The vintage Redline Flight Cranks bring top dollar on Ebay.

I have a GT Pro series that I built from a frame and fork set in the Mid 80's
The PK has the SE crankset that came on the bike originally (It's a SE team bike). Euro bottom bracket, Tiger paw peddles, Shadow conspiracy nickle plated chain, Odyssey hazzard lite rims with Black spokes and nickle plated nipples, HARO catapult tires, Shadow conspiracy grips, Old school Shimano brakes, DK sealed hubs, Slic cable brake cable and a High dollar Selle San Marco seat ($139)....

Freshly powdercoated and all new bearings..

Scot W.

I raced a little bit back in the early 80s on a knockoff Mongoose that I pieced together. Right now I have a collection of parts to build bikes for my two boys: a Kuwahara Laserlite and a Thruster Vanishing Point. Don't have everything I need to put them together yet, but both will have ACS Z-rims. I have Thruster Power bars for the one and Laserlite bars for the Kuwi. Scouring the net for correct year parts shows that some of this stuff is worth a fortune these days. If I only knew. Maybe I would have taken better care of my stuff back then.

Back in the day I had a few Redlines and my last bike was an MCS Magnum. Still got the scars to prove it!:eek::D

I hear you on the scars I had a pair of Bear traps and took a nice chunck out of my calf, Then they banned them :eek:

The Haro is my brothers, I think that is my diamondback with me standing behind it about 25 years ago. I still have both of those bikes in my living room. I moved up to an ELF (extra light frame) bike, hutch hubs, uni seat, bullseye cranks etc. Think the thing weighed about 15-16 lbs in race trim.

Attachments

• bnt bikes 1.jpg
    bnt bikes 1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 787
  • Doc. 16 00175.jpg
    Doc. 16 00175.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 756
I still have this, hard to let go. Dave Mirra Haro.... Snafu 3pc crank and dc stuff :D

Attachments

• aaadave.jpg
    aaadave.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 747
I raced for Torker, Power Lite and JMC. Was #1 in the state from 12-17 and loved every minute of it! Just bought my son an Extreme last year for his 5th birthday and he'll start racing this year... Next will be a jr dragster!!! :biggrin: Cool stuff! Love the all black PK. I had a mini ripper for awhile as well. Should've never quit racing as I really never grew! Still only 5' 6" and 155 lbs. ! :eek: Makes for a fast Buick though too!!!! :D

Hutch

I raced for Frankford Bicycle in Girard, Ohio. They had ads in all the BMX Action magazines. I raced a HUTCH Pro Series...the bike of bikes. Dig this, it was Chrome with all PINK checkered accessories. God I forget the name of some of the items I had on it. I ran SKYWAY mags for tricks, and rims off of a Schwinn Sting to race. Tried a Diamondback, they sucked...had a GT for a while, not bad...but my favorite bike I ever had was a HYPER. Didnt make many I believe. Was a great trick bike. The HUTCH was THE bike. Big $$$ and very desired as a kid. I actually carried my bike in the trunk of my 62 Chevy for a few summers and would get it out at cruises and do tricks. WOW, you guys suck...I just realized how long ago that was.

We are showing our age...:eek:
Coach

Back in 1985 or 86 a Hutch Pro Star was $650 complete. That's a lotta coin for a bike back then. What a work of art tho. Got one for my 13th birthday and was the happiest day of my life so far.

We had a 10 foot half pipe in my buddys back yard as well with an 8 ft. platform on top. I rode my Skyway on that for tricks. Buddy broke his leg in two places and that was the end of our free style days. We were 15 and cars were starting to interest us more. What memories tho.

Attachments

• prostar.jpg
    prostar.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 705
The PK has the SE crankset that came on the bike originally (It's a SE team bike). Euro bottom bracket, Tiger paw peddles, Shadow conspiracy nickle plated chain, Odyssey hazzard lite rims with Black spokes and nickle plated nipples, HARO catapult tires, Shadow conspiracy grips, Old school Shimano brakes, DK sealed hubs, Slic cable brake cable and a High dollar Selle San Marco seat ($139)....

Freshly powdercoated and all new bearings..

Scot W.

Thats a bad mofo right there. :biggrin:

Man I love these threads!!
I have been wanting to show off my 26inch om flyer, 24 inch quadangle, and so cal flyer, and my ripper.

Attachments

• CRUISER 018.jpg
    CRUISER 018.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 792
  • CRUISER 019.jpg
    CRUISER 019.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 699
  • CRUISER 020.jpg
    CRUISER 020.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 694
  • CRUISER 022.jpg
    CRUISER 022.jpg