Ok, what vendor has the rights to the Power6 emblem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yes he did. He said GM made them stop because they (GM) owned the rights.

Originally posted by Phoff
I can't speak for any other vendors but it was GM that made us stop selling that stuff. At that time...a couple of months ago...they owned the rights, as far as I know they still do.

Pete
See, ya. Going back outside to work on the car (or was it to crawl under a rock?) ;)

Re: QUESTIONS ?? ANSWERS ??

Originally posted by Two Lane
Most specifically, WHAT is NOT available NOW that WAS available BEFORE the "mysterious un-named stranger" pulled this "Snideley Whiplash/Dr. Evil" dastardly deed upon our relatively small Buick community?

1.) Are you asking what items that were for sale a few months ago are no longer available now?

2.) Or, are you asking what products various vendors (who?) have recently been forced to stop selling?

3.) Or, more precisely sir, are you actually inquiring as to the extent and identification of the resultant loss of available products?

Perhaps if you could clarify these Qs by being more specific, we could help unravel these mysteries.

HTH :)

Whether this guy owns the rights or not at this point is irrellavant,he told me he does so thats what ill beleive until ABSOLUTELY proven wrong. Even if he doesnt hes still responsible for the GM crackdown and again I DID have proof. Anyone else here have any??

slowride, while youre cause may be noble, you are just plain wrong.

Firstly, we should almost be thankful that CAR had the forethought to license this stuff, cause if they didnt we would have NO VENDORS AT ALL. 1 is better than none... and sorry i dont think anyone is becoming a millionaire selling pats for which the entire lifetime production runs (TR's and TTA's) are smaller than 1 years production run of Ford Exploders. So if I were them and I had a way to protect the sales of a SIGNIFICANT part of my product line I would do it too! They probably spent a LOT of money for that licensing, and do you really know (for sure as in u heard the conversation) that they made GM investigate useage?? Maybe GM decided to do it because someone had interest in licensing it now after all these years.... Ohhh nooo these eeeevil people out to actually TURN A PROFIT from their business... how could they have the audacity to do that, they should do it as a public service!! :rolleyes:

They spent a lot of money for that logo rights, and as the other vendors have said it was GM that put the squeeze on not this company!! I dont see anything wrong with what they did at all. Unless they start charging ridiculous prices for the stuff then thats anotehr story but we havent seen that at all. You answered your own question through the company A and B story there. Your noble but illogical intentions just twisted it around into circles thereafter.

BTW before I believed you about those emails i'd have to see them. I dont know who alan is, but Ive had contact with Rich from CAR and while I havent bought anything (yet!) he has been very attentive and actually sought me out to help me get my TTA restored the right way, even forwarded someone to me who was selling their TTA as a parts car to help in my situation.

Id say thats pretty damn good service (and I havent even bought anything yet!!!), and $700 for TTA emblems isnt such a bad deal when on ebay just a nose emblem pulls in $3-400!!

Like said I understand you want to help these other vendors, but get all the facts, and maybe understand the principles this country was built on (capitalism) before you make baseless accusations against vendors that thankfully spent the money to stick to it for us!..

Ohh PS... I believe one of the iterations of the recent Regal GSX concept had a tiny power 6 logo on the fender... guess GM is using it...

Originally posted by sloride
Easy for you to say,we tr owners like our parts /vendors to be cheap and plentiful:p

re read the part where I said the production run is small, and getting smaller by the day (as they get stolen etc). Unfortunately im sure there isnt gonna be an endless market for a car thats final iteration was built 15 years ago. Now you may say what about 1st gen Camaros (etc). They made quite a few more of those than TR's.

I was a TR owner (mine was stolen :( ) and I like plentiful vendors too. but you have to realize the future for these cars isnt going to be huge. Better for vendors to do what they can to ensure they will still be able to make money in the future (and still produce parts instead of closing shop like many do!!), than lose a good part of their poduct line and sales due to a missed business decision...

Hmmm.

I was just perusing this rather interesting thread and decided to look at the Jax site to see the revised 6 logo. Much to my surprise, there's a photo of my car on the top of the page...heisted from my Web site without permission. :eek:

Shall I contact my lawyer? :p

Hi-"Jax"-ed Photo

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
Shall I contact my lawyer? :p

Nah...like William Shakespeare said, all attorneys should starve & sleep with the fishes...LOL!

But, you should at least get some free upholstery out of the deal!

:)

Sorry Greg... 99% of the time I use my own photo's ...

I was looking for a particular shot and your's came up in a google image search. It was just perfect.

I'll be glad to take it down.

Since I bought and sold some of this stuff I can shen some light on the subject. GM holds all right s to these logos, period. GM for a fee let you use the logos after they approve it and your product.
The floor mats which I used to sell and see on other sites are a perfect examble. As I recall it was around $7 per set to put the logo on the mats that $ went to GM.
Mike Licht

Originally posted by jon_we4
Sorry Greg... 99% of the time I use my own photo's ...

I was looking for a particular shot and your's came up in a google image search. It was just perfect.

I'll be glad to take it down.
No, you can leave it up. It is a neat photo & looks right at home there as a matter of fact. I just thought I'd add a little levity to this thread. It sure could use some. :)

Now, about the free upholstery... ;)

CLEARING IT UP

I just returned from a Show in Pensacola to find this windstorm of activity (actually, a friend called and told me about it) all about me and CAR Motorsports. It is clear that the complaints are about me and CAR Motorsports despite sloride's failure to specifically use names, thus preserving his ability to say (which he did) that “I never named them, some people just figured it out from my description.” Of course, this denial is somewhat disingenuous and rings hollow in that the “description” he gave identifies me/us in every aspect but by name leaving no doubt as to who he is talking about.

Wow, three pages long thus far and not one single post from me. Can I safely say I didn't start this thing? I’m sure it looks like I’m ignoring this post since it was started on March 15 and I haven't posted a response (until now). In fact, reading it makes me feel a bit like Michael Douglas in the movie American President. Maybe if I had been around I would have posted earlier. Oh well, guess its time to weigh in now.

First, I'm appalled that there is an entire 3 page post on this board about me which I did not invite. I could see the relevance if the accusations were true and the facts correct. Regrettably, neither is. And the only thing that's happened is division, side taking, name calling, a poor use of bandwith and general distraction to the members of this list. I hope that this post does not make things worse and apologize in advance for the necessity of even making this post. Unfortunately, silence on my part would likely be taken as an admission of guilt and nothing could be further from the truth.....aside from some of the "facts" in various posts made by sloride.

BTW, is that you drew sharpe masquerading as sloride? It has to be as you are the only person I've dealt with about the issue involving Jax Seat Covers. BTW, don’t worry about having deleted those PMs we traded because I’ve still got them all. Do you want me to post them? Shall I include everything or just the parts that don't reflect badly on you? Unfortunately, I will need to significantly modify the PMs that I have to be consistent with the "you the Patron saint - me the devil" picture that you've tried to paint here. Sloride, even if you are not drew sharpe of the cayman islands, your distortion of the truth and inaccurate posting of facts is quite extensive.

For the record, CAR Motorsports DOES NOT own the rights to the Power 6 logo. We did apply to GM and obtained licensing approval to use the Power 6 logo and a number of other logos that GM owns. We chose this route because it is the correct and legal route. I cannot help the fact that other vendors are having problems due to their use of GM logos without the appropriate licensing approvals. Perhaps our application to GM alerted them to the fact that someone was interested in using these logos and they decided to start checking out whether anyone else was using them. We did not know this would happen. We simply wanted to do things the right way and filled out the appropriate paperwork. Our licensing is not exclusive so anyone else wanting to use the logo can just obtain licensing. Auto Custom Carpets has a GM license and uses the Power 6 logo as well as a bunch of others including T-Type and the Grand National emblem. Katzkin is GM Licensed and includes them on seats and headrest covers. I'm sure that there are MANY vendors licensed to use the logo. I see it on valve stem caps, shirts, hats, etc.

BTW, sloride, regarding your posts to b4black, there's a big difference between having parts for these cars and having accessories. Inability to use a power 6 logo has to do with accessories, not parts. We actually make a lot of reproduction parts for the TTA and old Buicks (Skylarks and Gran Sports) and have begun working on a few for the GN. I would hope that our efforts would be welcomed, rather than spurned. We are looking to expand the parts available to GN owners, not reduce them.

I've bent over backwards many times to try and help people. I've sent out product prior to being paid. Given refunds without question. Sent free products for sampling. And much, much more. I'm hopeful that at least a few people have experienced and appreciate my efforts.

As for threatening to sue this board, I don’t recall making such a threat. I did contact the administrators about the threats of violence made by a certain board member against me and my family and asked if they would take appropriate action. I was assured that they would look into and do the right thing and that was sufficient for me. To my knowledge, they did exactly as they said. Its not my business what was done and I don’t need an explanation. In fact, I have spoken with Jason Debler a few times by phone. Each time, our discussions were friendly and professional. To my knowledge, we have no problems between us. In fact, I offered Jason my help in various ways. He seemed genuinely appreciative and said that if necessary, he would take me up on it. Jason has my phone number and if he has a problem with me, he can call me at any time. I've also traded emails with a couple of other moderators/administrators. Again, I am aware of no problems in my dealings with them. They were very courteous, professional and helpful. All of them know that they can contact me any time to discuss whatever is on their mind.

There are many more allegations made here to which I could respond, but I'm not sure that full blown explanations would be constructive. For example, there are some statements made regarding Jax Seat Covers. Because they were not posted by Jax/Paul (as best I can tell), I don't feel that a response, which would necessarily involve Jax, is appropriate as I am hesitant to involve someone who has thus far not involved themself. I like Jax Seat Covers products. I think they have the best cloth seat covers made and always refer people who call me looking for cloth to them. Now, I do think our leather covers are better and I generally tell people so.

All I can tell you the board members is that the allegations made by sloride are unfounded and the facts as stated by sloride are wrong (although not entirely because I am a lawyer, but a very good one contrary to what sloride says). I am not a snake in the grass. Unless things have changed without my knowledge, Mike McCoy is a friend of mine. As for Dennis Kirban, I've met and dealt with him on several occasions and don't think he has any beef with us. He gave my partner an autographed copy of his book at last year's nationals.

For those interested, I invite you to drop by our tent at the Nationals to meet me and make your own conclusions about the type of person I am. Spend 5 minutes with me discussing whatever you want and see if you think I'm a snake in the grass or a nice honest guy. If you have a problem with me, call me and tell me what it is and I'll see what I can do to make it right. I'm easy to find and don't hide behind a mysterious id. You know my name and where I'm located.

Alan

I think Alan wrapped this one up nicely.

I really don't think this needs to be hashed out any further and I hope everyone agrees. If you feel you must continue this debate, I suggest that you take Alan up on his offer to contact him. He obviously has an open door regarding this and being upfront and respectful will do wonders. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.