OK, so which is better...Girdle or Billet Mains???

Which is tougher?

• Girdle

Votes: 75 68.8%
  • Billet Mains

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters
i am doing up a 3.8 83 block with a girdle and sleeved cylinders also stud girdles on the heads, 9:1 comp with fuel injection bigger throttle body after market turbo etc. and i know my motor should hold up under just about anything at least the block will

also stud girdles on the heads???

Do you mean studs for the heads and head clamps? Never heard of stud girdles on the heads.

just to change the subject....dont try and put a stock starter on when useing one of dans pans ...pan rail sticks out 1/2 inch and starter does not fit...a mini or lt1 starter is needed.....I sliced a piece off it fit

Yes that oil pan came from DLS, you would have to ask Dan about the baffling part as I do not know. Yes the motor does have a SFI neutral balance flywheel and BHJ balancer.Although you can't see it well in this pic, the #10 fitting is at the front passenger side corner of the oil pan behind the leg of the engine stand.
DSC01829.jpg

Hey that oil pan looks very familiar. Yes it has a windage screen in it and a trap door. It is a bad ass pan. Should work great with my DLS oil system? It would require a little clearance on the rear lip of the pan in order to clear the stock starter. Would not be that difficult to accomplish though. My starter is 20 years old, so I decided to buy a new lightweight mini starter. It clears the pan just fine.

Scott,
Next time we meet up I’ll fill you in on my opinion of DLS engine development:D . I have prevented myself from making some mistakes by talking to him first.

Contrary to the results from the poll..... finances dictated me going with the two center steel caps.....

From an engineering point..... there is no question in my mind.... that the girdle is superior to steel caps period.

With that said.... it appears the steel caps + installation (including line hone/bore) is going to cost a little over $300. Installing a girdle is quite a bit more expensive on the machine work.... and is easier to mess up......A girdle done by a competent machine shop.... that has done one before.... will scare $500 just for the labor alone.... not counting the girdle.... I would love to..... it just isn't in the budget....

IMHO... the steel caps are not going to increase the strength of the bootm mend as good as the girdle, however they will increase the strength enough to handle low to mid 10's fairly easy.....

My combo includes TE-45A turbo... so I am likely in the mid 10 sec potential... and I feel like the caps are "good enough" for my combo.

Those look like solid roller lifters to me? You must be running alot of spring pressure, on those aluminum perches? ANy issues?

Does it rub on the Hood pad ???

Its a ported stock Champion lower with a DLS spacer and Presion upper. Rockers were upgraded to pedistle mount T&D's. No issues. Runs great. I wish it were in my car. I am going to have to steal the ol boy's car one day and take it to the track. Would be very interesting to see where she sits.

I can tell you what I'd do if I were looking to turn my iron block into a safe and consistent low10 high9 motor. This assumes I have the budget (which I don't). I would do steel caps AND a girdle.

Its a ported stock Champion lower with a DLS spacer and Presion upper. Rockers were upgraded to pedistle mount T&D's. No issues. Runs great. I wish it were in my car. I am going to have to steal the ol boy's car one day and take it to the track. Would be very interesting to see where she sits.

1 more ? Does that spacer have a distribution shape inside like RJC's ? Anyone has a pic of it uninstalled that can share ? I would like to see the inside. Thanks. :smile:

From an engineering point..... there is no question in my mind.... that the girdle is superior to steel caps period.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I just don't see how anyone can consider caps stronger than a girdle which ties the whole bottom end together. When I did ask Dan at DLS which he thought was stronger, he had a slight pause and then said in an unbelieving way, "caps". From this chat, I have a slight feeling that I was only told that by him because maybe he doesn't do girdles. Anyhow, I do know from numerous people that Dan's work is Flawless. However, I would like to do a girdle, but just don't know of any competant shops in the chicago area that are experienced with girdles. I may just go ahead and have strezo build me a capped one.

The cap has to have movement to break. The steel caps resist the movement better, and resists breakage better when it does move. The girdle stops the movement all together, so no breaky cappy. Not only does the girdle add rigidity to the caps, it also beefs up the block. so you can add steel caps, to resist cap breakage, but when the block splits in half they won't help much. A girdle with steel caps is probably over kill for most street cars, but a girdle will benefit the longevity of all engines from stock on up. It has been proven over and over on engines all over the world.
Just my opinion though.
Danny