OK, so which is better...Girdle or Billet Mains???

Which is tougher?

• Girdle

Votes: 75 68.8%
  • Billet Mains

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
Seriously, I would like to know. I am going with one or the other but not both. (Don't want to get Billet Mains only to end up down to nothing). I have read and hear that as long as you don't have crank flex (Forged Crank) that the main caps will wear evenly. I am going to have a 109 build done with a stroker kit probably from DLS in Indiana and just want to know, which is more durable. Girdle or Billet mains. And I would also like to know what is the average cost of getting each one installed including machining and all that good B.S. I know I am going to get the "how fast do you wanna go" question. But let's just say I want it to handle low 10's.

Scott

This should be in "Engine Tech". You will get more and better answers there.
Conrad

If you use Dan, just trust what he has to say. He has built the fastest stock block motors without girdles out there so he is privy to what happens either way.

JMHO.

If you use Dan, just trust what he has to say. He has built the fastest stock block motors without girdles out there so he is privy to what happens either way.

JMHO.

Thats who i was led to & thats exactly what im gonna do....:smile:

JMHO.

Yeah I just spoke with Dan today and asked him which is stronger. He told me caps. I have a hard time believing it, but coming from him, I have to.

Dan at D.L.S. built my race motor and it has no girdle! I couldn't be happier!

When I spoke with Dan, he said he had about 30 motors in front of me and a wait of 6 months. I don't have a problem with that so I will probably go ahead and do it. For those that had their motors built by him, did you have to pay the money up front or did you pay when you picked it up?

Scott

I got 2 in that line of 30, I hope they are near the front LOL!!!!!!

dans prices are better than weber(can i say that) he is a darling to deal with,,a little teste at times(genius ) his work and knowledge about these new strokers is number one....and he does not take credit cards.....I would not hesitate to send anyone to him,,,,I took a walk through his shop it was buick heaven

dans prices are better than weber(can i say that) he is a darling to deal with,,a little teste at times(genius ) his work and knowledge about these new strokers is number one....and he does not take credit cards.....I would not hesitate to send anyone to him,,,,I took a walk through his shop it was buick heaven

Yes, but does anyone know if you have to pay everything up front or what?

IMHO any legitimate dealer would NOT require full payment up front. If someone did, I would RUN the other way! If dealer is supplying everything (block, heads, crank, pistons and it is a weird combo), he should require a substantial (25 to 50%) payment up front since he would have trouble getting his money our of it if you bailed out. Otherwise, 10 to 25% up front, if that much.
Conrad

From a mechanical engineer's perspective... girdle helps to strengthen the whole bottom end......the caps only strengthen at the cap itself.... one cap doesn't strengthen the other cap...... with a girdle... they are all tied together... so they help each other... so-to-speak ....

Either is better than nothing (stock)..... but regardless of what you do in the bottom end of the engine.... if you detonate the snot out of it.... caps/girdle/steel crank... whatever... you are still gonna have some problems.

IMHO... keep detonation away..... and stock block/stock crank/stock pistons and rods are good for mid 10's occasionally... as long as you keep detonation away.....

Scott, Dan is the man. If you can wait 6 months it is well worth the wait. Couldn't have a more anal attention detailed person work on your stuff. I installed one of DLS's pieces in my Dads car.
DSC01817.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

From a mechanical engineer's perspective... girdle helps to strengthen the whole bottom end......the caps only strengthen at the cap itself.... one cap doesn't strengthen the other cap...... with a girdle... they are all tied together... so they help each other... so-to-speak ....

Well said. I'd take a girdle over caps anyday. Why have just two bolts hold each cap in when you can have the entire lower end tied together.

Scott, Dan is the man. If you can wait 6 months it is well worth the wait. Couldn't have a more anal attention detailed person work on your stuff. I installed one of DLS's pieces in my Dads car.
DSC01817.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

Since DLS doesn't have a website, these r the threads that get the word out on what they offer. Mike, can u please tell me if that oil pan is from DLS ? :confused: Is it baffled inside ? The flywheel & balancer are they SFI approved or r they stock ?? Have any pics of the driver's side of the engine ?? (just want 2 see if u have any trick oil pump setup from DLS) Thanks !! :)

Since DLS doesn't have a website, these r the threads that get the word out on what they offer. Mike, can u please tell me if that oil pan is from DLS ? :confused: Is it baffled inside ? The flywheel & balancer are they SFI approved or r they stock ?? Have any pics of the driver's side of the engine ?? (just want 2 see if u have any trick oil pump setup from DLS) Thanks !! :)

Yes that oil pan came from DLS, you would have to ask Dan about the baffling part as I do not know. Yes the motor does have a SFI neutral balance flywheel and BHJ balancer.Although you can't see it well in this pic, the #10 fitting is at the front passenger side corner of the oil pan behind the leg of the engine stand.
DSC01829.jpg

girdle definitely, if not both

i am doing up a 3.8 83 block with a girdle and sleeved cylinders also stud girdles on the heads, 9:1 comp with fuel injection bigger throttle body after market turbo etc. and i know my motor should hold up under just about anything at least the block will