oil pan gasket?

turbobooster

im replacing oil pan gasket i have everything apart n cleaned up ready to go back on but do i need to use a sealant inbetween the gasket ? or do i just install as is nothing else?

thats what i have the 20 bolt rubber gasket wat kinda of spray tack u talking about?

I prefer Cork & RJC has a thicjer one that I prefer but the Red stuff should work as long as its Clean with brake cleaner etc. Just holds it in place to pan.

Wash the rubber gasket in soap and water, degrease the sealing surface on the block and pan, torque to spec.

Oil Pan Gaskets

Hi,
I would use a thick cork gasket,and Permatex Right Stuff on the block side lightly.I have zero faith in the silicone gaskets,having had a leak problem with them. Since my overhaul in '08,no leakage at all with the cork. I bought mine from Kirban,used to be referred to as the Duttweiler cork gasket,if I remember right.Good luck with your reseal.

Hi,
I would use a thick cork gasket,and Permatex Right Stuff on the block side lightly.I have zero faith in the silicone gaskets,having had a leak problem with them. Since my overhaul in '08,no leakage at all with the cork. I bought mine from Kirban,used to be referred to as the Duttweiler cork gasket,if I remember right.Good luck with your reseal.

Thats the one RJC has. Duttweiler Cork & extra thick.

I used a plain old felpro rubber one last yr when I did the rear main seal. No sealant at all.....just cleaned everything really well and was careful not to over torque the pan bolts. It's as dry as a chip under there :cool:

Oh and the dental floss trick for holding the gasket in place worked slick

Im not a fan of the right stuff in a constant oil immersion/splash situation. justMO and experience.

With a cork oil pan gasket I prefer permatex #2 non hardening gasket sealer.

Just my opinion. Others may have had luck but on my DD and others I have wrenched on it hasnt done so well in a frequetly driven ride

Ref gasket...IMO if you have a stock pan, or an aftermarket pan that you are sure is flat you can use cork gasket with no sealer. If you choose to use a sealer you'll get a bunch of recommendations as the which is the best.

Dental floss trick is probably referring to running dental floss thru every other hole (or so) of the oil pan & gasket to keep gasket lined up during installation...once a few capscrews are started and gasket is lined up you can pull out the dental floss.

Bob K