Oil coming out of tailpipes

RKNTRBO

Hello to all and have to say thanks to this board and members for all the good info. I have been reading this board for the last few months and bought my 1st Buick off the board. :D 87 T-Type WE4, with 80,000 miles on it.

Got a good feel for the car as I drove it over 2000 miles back to the West Coast. Only problem I had on the trip was the great powermaster fuse blew:mad: and I almost crashed coming onto a offramp. Just coverted it to vac.

Okay to the problem, when I start it up in the morning a fine mist of oil sprays out of both tailpipes in my garage?

If anyone has any input to the possible cause, it would be Appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 488
Hmmm...I'm not sure on this but will take a guess or two at it.

Bad oil seal in the turbo?

Realy bad valve guides?

Blown head gasket?

Sure it was oil and not condensation mixed with rich exhaust? If you are running rich, the black crap will build up in your pipes. In the morning moisture builds up in your pipes as it cools from the night before. If that is what it is, change the chip to TurboTweak. If it is oil I bet the turbo has a bad seal. Normally if you have a bad guide, it will come as oil smoke, most of the time if your head gasket is bad, you get antifreeze out the pipes. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck and Sweet ride!

I second vader87's theory. In the morning, the condensation in the exhaust will blow out the tailpipes often times mixing with the soot that has collected in the pipes. It will look like black water. Start the car and put your hand close enough to one of the tailpipes and let it blow onto your hand. Then you can tell for sure of it's consistency. This topic comes up every so often and most end up realizing that it is just water mixed with soot.

Hello to all and have to say thanks to this board and members for all the good info. I have been reading this board for the last few months and bought my 1st Buick off the board. :D 87 T-Type WE4, with 80,000 miles on it.

Got a good feel for the car as I drove it over 2000 miles back to the West Coast. Only problem I had on the trip was the great powermaster fuse blew:mad: and I almost crashed coming onto a offramp. Just coverted it to vac.

Okay to the problem, when I start it up in the morning a fine mist of oil sprays out of both tailpipes in my garage?

If anyone has any input to the possible cause, it would be Appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

What you're seeing is "soot" not oil. MANY (spelled most) of us suffer that malady. Condensation in the exhaust system blows out the black soot in the system and it comes out as sprays everything in reach. :mad:

I agree with everyone here. Ive been so rich to the point where there was a puddle under the exhaust. I too thought it was oil but took a closer look and it was pure fuel. Nice WE4. i like WE4's. only 1547 made. !!

Thanks for the reply's

I will look closer to see if it water, etc. I dont think it is running very rich, I just had a smog test done on the car, with just switching the pit-bull chip out for the stock chip, and it passed with flying colors:D

As for smoke, etc. it did blow some black smoke out the rear when I get on the turbo hard. But dont know for sure, this is my 1st turbo car like this, I have owned 2 rx7 turbos, but that is a diffrent animal.

Mine does the same thing... Then again my car reeks of exhaust fumes as well, if I have it idling in the garage, within a minute I stink like I took a nap under the exhaust outlet. When I go in the house I can tell I stink BAD. I'm convinced it's running really rich at idle. I don't have a cat on mine, so that probably doesn't help anything.
Plus mine puffs smoke on cold startups for a minute or so, I'm assuming that it's bad valve seals. It goes away once it's warmed up...

Welby, do you have the orginal motor in it and if you do how may miles on it? My T does the same thing, puffs just a little smoke at startup and then goes away.

It's the original motor, with 75,000± miles, according to the odomoter, but who knows really? I hope it's not really 175,000, even though the car runs great, lol. The title, when I bought it said 71,000.... Yeah, everything I've read leads me to think it's bad valve seals, so in the spring I'm going to change them out along with the valve springs. Never done it before, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe I can recruit a local guy to help me out for a case of beer or something :D

I'm in on the soot and condensation theory. My does the exact same thing, theres a black spray pattern from the tailpipes on the driveway curbing where I park. I guess it's just marking it's territory.

On a side note, Be careful with that Pit Bull chip. They have ALOT of timing in them. Probably too much to safely use on todays pump gas. At least that's how mine was.

Reviving this "old" thread with some interesting observations:

Now that I have a WBO2 in the car and have full time closed loop operation (thanks Translator Pro) with the wideband in control, I've noticed some interesting points.

1. Mine very quickly settles onto a stoiceometric 14.5-14.7:1 A/F ratio, and I still have heavy "condesation soot" until the exhaust gets warmed up.

2. Exhaust still has that characteristic "rich smell" even though the A/F ratio is near perfect. Even when I force it a little lean, say 15:1.

Conclusion? Probably happens because the extreme heat coming out of the cat. converter isn't there ;) to burn off the condesation, and burn off the soot, and sooty smell.

Yeah soots sucks. I don't have that problem anymore with the White Car :biggrin:
I used to get lil black patches on the driveway if I let it idle in the morning before taking off, NOW I just get water..no more soot.

BTW Dave how has your MPG been since the WB02??

The only mileage I've checked lately is the 25 mile (each way) drive to work and back. It's combined highway/city. About 75% two lane highway with an occasional light, and the rest is lights/traffic, etc.

It gets a pretty consistent 17-17.5 in those conditions.

Yeah soots sucks. I don't have that problem anymore with the White Car :biggrin:
I used to get lil black patches on the driveway if I let it idle in the morning before taking off, NOW I just get water..no more soot.

BTW Dave how has your MPG been since the WB02??

How did you resolve the soot issue?