Smoke Coming from Valve Covers on 1987 GN

Paulmac201

I am a new 1987 Buick Grand National owner. I recently bought the car and I have some and oil mist coming from the Valve Covers. See attached video.

Do I need to install new PCV valves and pipe them to a catch can? Or do I have a more serious problem?

Any help is much appreciated.

Do a leakdown test, that will tell you if it's blowby due to cylinder wear, broken ring(s), headgasket blown into the valley, or possibly an upper end oiling issue, I.E. too much (oil misting out due to lousy baffling),or too little(smoking the oil in the rocker shafts).
A stuck/plugged PCV valve, as well as incorrect intake gasket (the one piece valley gasket not being used will allow a LOT of oil mist into the PCV system, pull the PCV valve and look down the hole to see if you can see a valley pan-type gasket) can be a culprit also.
That's a few places to start.
TIMINATOR

Do a leakdown test, that will tell you if it's blowby due to cylinder wear, broken ring(s), headgasket blown into the valley, or possibly an upper end oiling issue, I.E. too much (oil misting out due to lousy baffling),or too little(smoking the oil in the rocker shafts).
A stuck/plugged PCV valve, as well as incorrect intake gasket (the one piece valley gasket not being used will allow a LOT of oil mist into the PCV system, pull the PCV valve and look down the hole to see if you can see a valley pan-type gasket) can be a culprit also.
That's a few places to start.
TIMINATOR
Thanks for the response. I will check it out. Much appreciated.

It could just be aftermarket breathers with inadequate baffling, or aftermarket rocker covers with a poor design that locates the breather right over a rocker arm. There is more aftermarket junk, than well designed parts!
TMINATOR

I prefer open breathers. As free flowing as possible. I’ll use a PCV along with extra check valve when crankcase odor in the cabin is a concern, otherwise I’ll go with no pcv. With no pcv you can definitely expect to see vapors from the breathers at low idle. And you’ll need to wash the breathers occasionally as they’ll get oil soaked. With a pcv the vapor is either almost eliminated or completely eliminated and the soaking is less frequent.
If your pcv is working but you still have lots of vapor then you may have some additional blow by going on.

Here is a quick video of the blow by out of the valve covers. Does this look like head gasket problems or piston ring problems? Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• Blowby.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
Whatever that is it ain't good. I'd run a leakdown test or a compression check.

Combustion is making its way into the crankcase.
Piston/rings or headgasket are the most likely sources.
TIMINATOR