Official Noah's Mad Max Gn complete engine build...

Nice build up! Great pics! How much do you have into the short block build without the countless hours labor? Any reason you chose the girdle over just billet caps?

Engine build

Noah that's some kind of engine your building and your work is meticulous. Gotta like the engine color. Your Mad Maxx project is coming together.

...49-Blues...i have about 15k into the engine but not just the engine but everything else that goes along with doing a performance rebuild ...or trying to build a ten second buick that will do that reliably over and over...adding in things like injectors, turbo , intercooler , external trans cooler and there is a long list...

...as far as the girdle goes its just my preference...i think given a choice the girdle is the stronger way to go...and why by new mains when im just going to machine the tops off them anyway so the stock ones will suffice...and those rjc girdles are quality pieces adding one of those to the build is going to remove any worries one might have when putting out the kind of hp i hope to...

...as far as gaskets im assuming you mean head gaskets?...if thats the case i bought rjc's bulletproof ones ...ill have pics of the head install up in next couple days...hoping this is just another piece to making this engine near invincable...

...anyway thanks all for the interest and if anyone has any tips or wisdom from experience feel free to share " before" i get into the next step hehe...more to come soon...heads are next...thanks noah.

With all of the forged pieces, I'm surprised you didn't go with a roller cam for this. Good job on the build. I think guys should learn how to build motors. it's getting to be a lost art AND you can definitely trust yourself over many builders.

oh ok.. it is a roller cam? I didn't recognize the snout.. as i'm used to seeing the roller cam with the odd fire snout.

So this sisn't need any type of weird retainer or anything? just the cam button?

...next installment of the continuing saga that is....GREEN WITH ENVY...

...anyway i let the hydraulic lifters soak in laquer thinner for about a week heh...then i let them sit in engine oil for a few days...then they were dropped in to their tombs of relentless duty...

...cleaning off the heads ...using laquer thinner some brake cleans and dabbing with some clean towels...making them sparkly clean...and that last pic is of the bulletproof headgaskets that are going on real soon like...now...

Attachments

• DSCF1522.JPG
    DSCF1522.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,331
  • DSCF1508.JPG
    DSCF1508.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,322
  • DSCF1493.JPG
    DSCF1493.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 2,325
  • DSCF1494.JPG
    DSCF1494.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,327
  • DSCF1495.JPG
    DSCF1495.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 2,318
...the rjc gaskets come with a tube of some sort of silicone and a roller ...directions are to use about quarter of the tube and spread sealant with roller evenly on both sides of both gaskets...then put them on the heads...

...i am using arp head studs so i used a teflon sealant on the bottom threads going into the bolt holes...put them in hand tight....dropped the heads down over gasket and used arp lube on the threads, washers, and nuts...

...torque procedure was 6 1 3 7

................................8 4 2 5

...i started at 20 ft. lbs and went up by 10 increments until i hit 50 ft. lbs...after that i went up in 5 ft. lb increments until i hit 85 as per ARP instructions for head studs and the rjc headgasket directions...i let that sit for about 45 minutes and then backed them all off and started at 50 ft. lbs. and went up to 85 again in the end...im letting it sit like that for couple days and then ill do another torque cycle....

....i put on my t and d roller rockers as i had already modified my head pedestals for clearance so the rocker arms wouldnt hit ...i will loctite the rocker shaft bolts down....then installed the pushrods that came with the cam kit i think they are 8.220...i will probably check lifter preload with a dial indicator to make sure i have the right amount ...i will then set my rockers to zero lash and then between 1/3 and 3/4 turn at that time...ill be doing that after the weekend...last i stuck the knock sensor on the back of the block...man that was exciting...anyway more to come soon...thanks noah.

Attachments

• DSCF1489.JPG
    DSCF1489.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,308
  • DSCF1491.JPG
    DSCF1491.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,295
  • DSCF1492.JPG
    DSCF1492.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,292
  • DSCF1496.JPG
    DSCF1496.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2,273
  • DSCF1497.JPG
    DSCF1497.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,294
...in picture form...

Attachments

• DSCF1498.JPG
    DSCF1498.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,274
  • DSCF1499.JPG
    DSCF1499.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,293
  • DSCF1500.JPG
    DSCF1500.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 2,289
  • DSCF1503.JPG
    DSCF1503.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,263
  • DSCF1506.JPG
    DSCF1506.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,296
i like pictures...

Attachments

• DSCF1508.JPG
    DSCF1508.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,277
  • DSCF1509.JPG
    DSCF1509.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 2,253
  • DSCF1511.JPG
    DSCF1511.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,305
  • DSCF1512.JPG
    DSCF1512.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 2,280
  • DSCF1522.JPG
    DSCF1522.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,277
ima freak ...shes supa freakay...

Attachments

• DSCF1517.JPG
    DSCF1517.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 2,286
  • DSCF1519.JPG
    DSCF1519.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,247
  • DSCF1520.JPG
    DSCF1520.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2,257
  • DSCF1521.JPG
    DSCF1521.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,264
  • DSCF1524.JPG
    DSCF1524.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,245
Looks Good Noah, that will be one reliable machine.

one question, why stock valves, how much porting did you do. lots of bowl work I hope

are the valves un shrouded?

What Turbo did you select?

Tranny work?

Just curious.

:biggrin:

Similar build.

So whats the rest of the combo, as far as turbo, injectors, downpipe, etc. Im running the same cam, with stock ported irons and may be able give U real numbers, since Ive had 2 different turbos on the car so far.

...as far as the heads go i bought them from a guy in the local gn club here...he got them from an apparently well known buick guy named Terry Ryan...from what im told he did the porting etc...was also told the heads were run on a car and already did a few runs in the tens maybe nines...so i bought them as is...

...ill be running a precision gt6776 rs dual ball bearing turbo...

...the tranny is having a full rebuild with a couple parts bought from ck hardened parts...about 1500 in parts no labour costs making it non lock up...should hold up to ten second runs all day long...

...be using 60 mototron injectors , a gn1 performance downpipe with external waste gate, fmic on and on...thanks noah.

still looking awsome. we all like pictures so keep it up. Also didnt know they made HP Green Spark Plugs. Are Those Custom GNGK UR5's? ;)

Great work!! I love see the "progress" pictures.
If it were me, I might re-think the injector selection though. Too!! small for your stated goals and the equipment you have

Terry Ryan's been working on these cars a LONG time...cool guy too...

Looks like Mopar turquoise to me...:eek: :D