Octane vs E-85 content

49-blues

Is there anyway of telling what octane you have according to what the % of E-85 is in the tank?

Nobody seems to be able to agree on the octane of E-85 itself, so I have my doubts. There's more then one method of determining the octane which adds to the confusion.

It would be great if we could get an accurate octane reading from the percentage of E-85 content in the fuel- even if there were a chart to go by .

Forgot to add that you can use a Hydrometer to check octane numbers.

Never done it myself but we have a local racer here (when we had a track) that goes out and checks octane levels with a Hydrometer and reports it on his weekly automotive radio show. How accurate these types of tests are can be argued, I suppose. An internet search on the subject should shed some light.

I m not sure how these readings can translate into octane readings but I bought one anyway, I ll let you know if I figure out how to get octane readings from this- thanks for your help!

I've been invited to see a demonstration on how to use the Hydrometer and how to get octane readings from it. Problem is finding the time. I'll post here if I ever go.

I was given the source of the Hydrometer they use here. Attached is their catalog. See pages 196 to 201. Can't find any info on how they translate readings into octane numbers though but I guess I'll find out if I ever go to that demonstration...We'll see...

Attachments

• Cat_32_4_09_WholeSec(1).pdf
    23.8 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Incredible amount of information- thanks, I would to go to that demo but I'm about 1000 miles away!

Incredible amount of information- thanks, I would to go to that demo but I'm about 1000 miles away!
Think I may have gotten a C in science class so I'll have to try real hard to digest that info myself. Lol.

Everyone can use a vacation to Hawaii...:D Let me know.