NVU gauge cluster installation.

image.jpg
Been reading and looking at the back of the gauges this evening and for the folks like me that ordered the pre-wired gauges it's going to be a tad difficult but not impossible to wire in the programming buttons for the gauges except for the speedo. Wiring schematic in the manual details the location of the button wire location but NVU did not include the female plugs for the smaller gauges. The tach is programmed like any tach, with dip switches. And the speedo calibration/trip button is wired into plug 1.

According to the full sweep stepper motor instrument kit instructions, the top right 3 pin on the back of the smaller gauges is where you would put the red and black wires for the programming button and no female connector is supplied. Not sure about the guys who ordered the DIY kit

For those who were talking about the dimmer switch. The posted link of the instructions specifically states that the OEM dimmer will not work. A aftermarket switch is needed.

My word,sounds like this is going to be a bitch!!!!!!,
Glad I could make it all happen:wacky:...

I will send an email about this issue. I haven't gotten my kit yet they told me they had parts on back order.
You guys will have it all figured out for me :joyful:

Does anyone know if we will still be using the speedometer cable or can it be removed?

Spoke with NVU today, there was a mistake made with my order. I received all speedometer buttons which do not have the female connector. His comment was that most folks set the programming features that they want and then remove the buttons, thus the programming buttons for all the rest of the gauges have the female connector. He called it "set and forget." That being said, the only button "most" folks are actually installing is the speedo button.

And where do most folks install it

He didn't say where buick folks were putting the button, I guess just "most" of the folks who buy their gauges are only installing that button.

That being said, I am going to install the speedo button next to my dimmer switch

I got my gauges yesterday. All my program buttons had female connectors and I'll be using them all. They did forget the Trim Mask so I'll be calling them Monday.

As far as the speedo cable goes you can either mount the senders to the end of the cable or on the transmission. The speedo cable is 2 pieces. One goes up near the left inner fender where it mates with it connects to the smaller one that goes through the firewall. I previously had the senders on the end of the longer speedo cable and mounted on the inner fender. I've since eliminated the cable and mounted them on the tranny.

I have the performance 2 series. Looking at the wiring instructions it shows 2 wiring locations for the lighting depending on weather you want White or Amber Backlighting. I'm guessing that's for the Redline gauges only. Anyone have an answer on that? If not I'll find out Monday and post.

View attachment 212115 Been reading and looking at the back of the gauges this evening and for the folks like me that ordered the pre-wired gauges it's going to be a tad difficult but not impossible to wire in the programming buttons for the gauges except for the speedo. Wiring schematic in the manual details the location of the button wire location but NVU did not include the female plugs for the smaller gauges. The tach is programmed like any tach, with dip switches. And the speedo calibration/trip button is wired into plug 1.

According to the full sweep stepper motor instrument kit instructions, the top right 3 pin on the back of the smaller gauges is where you would put the red and black wires for the programming button and no female connector is supplied. Not sure about the guys who ordered the DIY kit

I think the only thing the 3 pin socket is used for is programing the fuel gauge. The others all use the 2 pin socket. I think all the gauges are the same internally with the faces being different. The buttons can be used for recall AND for programing the gauges so the backlighting flashes if the programed parameter is exceeded. For example i'll be setting mine up to flash if my temp. Is too high, fuel goes too low etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 240