Not building boost

russ87gn

I took my car out for the first time with a new transmission and converter and it doesn't want to go above 10 lbs in first and second gear but in third it'll go to 15 I have a rjc boost controller that's cranked all the way in I installed the turbo last year and only went to 15 lbs with it.the turbo is a turbonetics bb66 I just got a ptc 9.5 converter specd by dusty for my combo I'm really starting to get frustrated with this car hopefully somebody will have an answer that's not going to cost me more money. I was told that the turbo makes good power but can be called lazy

Check the wastegate. Make sure the valve is closed and sealed shut. Check the alignment of the valve. Make sure it covers the port 100%. Also check for pre turbo exhaust leaks. They are like open wastegates.

Ok I just put new ta stainless headers on too I don't think I have any leaks but it's worth looking thanks

I'm really starting to get frustrated with this car hopefully somebody will have an answer that's not going to cost me more money. I was told that the turbo makes good power but can be called lazy
like mentioned focus on the wastegate that what it sounds like.as far as the turbo the 66bb if the combo is right will be far from lazy.be patient if you get the car running good they can be a lot of fun.

It's got ported heads a good roller cam the car should move at this point I liked the te 44 more it seemed like a lot more snappy just frustrated I guess

This may sound like a stupid question but how do I check the wastegate when the puck is in the dp

First just make sure the gate is closed.
Remove the rod from the lever and work it back and fourth. It should move free. The gate is closed when the lever is all the way toward driver side.

With the valve closed you should have to pull the rod a 1/8 to get it on. That will assure gate is closed.

If it is still sluggis, remove downpipe and just look at the carbon mark on puck and housing.

It's got ported heads a good roller cam the car should move at this point I liked the te 44 more it seemed like a lot more snappy just frustrated I guess
The 44 is a great turbo on these cars,the ex housing and ex wheel will have a huge impact on spool,do you know which turbine and ex housing you have?for now you need to look at the wastegate,also the ptc should wake that turbo up.

I took it all apart it seems that the wastegate puck was stuck on the side of the gasket I'm at 18 lbs now I still liked the te44 on the street but this 66 really flys at low boost

Do a search under my user name and look for a thread on waste gate problems. I covered all of this. You should never be using a gasket on the outlet side of a turbo if there's a swing valve assembly involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took it all apart it seems that the wastegate puck was stuck on the side of the gasket I'm at 18 lbs now I still liked the te44 on the street but this 66 really flys at low boost
On the street at 20#s you will be making a tad more power with the Tnetics 66 but it will feel less violent then the 44 because it wont be working as hard,the 44 will give you the illusion of similar power because it will be a lot more stressed out then the bb66 when you run it up, the 66 will feel a lot smoother at the same boost,
When I went from a te44 to a t-netics 66bb the 66 was pulling harder at 25#s but it felt less scary and more controlled then the 44 If that makes sense..

Last edited: