NON LOCK CONVERTER DRIVEABILITY?

tford

Registered Member
If I change to a non-lock converter, how is the driveability compared to a lock up? I'm guessing it will not be as drastic of a change compared to 200r4 to th350 trans swap. Is it true going to a non-lock is more reliable and lowers the chances of having problems? For example, list rpm (cruising) at 75 mph with non-lock vs. same speed with lock up converter. What about rebuild prices? Is one cheaper to rebuild than the other? Thanks, Tim

It depends on the type of non lock used. I have seen as little as 50 rpm difference at 60mph and as much as 500 on inclines.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Prices to rebuild what, the convertor or the trans?
If trans, the turbo 350 will probably be about half as much to do as the 200-R4

The non locks i use are about 50-100rpm difference if on flat roads maybe 300-400rpm on a big incline if im trying to drive fast. At speeds slower than 75 the slip is less on inclines. Ive never had to have one of mine rebuilt. 9 years total between them in my cars. Thousands of hits over 600hp too. I use the non locks Dusty is referring to. If you want one message him.

You forgot to mention how this car will be driven primarily.

Is it a street car that sees some track time??Or vice versa??

Non lock up converters suck on the street if you want the mileage to be at it's best.

I have driven both LU and NLU and I don't care how people try to spin it, a good LU is better for street driven cars for people looking to get performance and economy.

You can have both with a LU converter. Race performance and street mileage.

There are LU converters being built now that can handle and are guaranteed to over 1,000 HP in LU configuration so it's a no brainer to get a LU if you do any street driving at all.

RZ.

not all non-locks drive the same. If you have never driven in a car with one of the PTC 9.5's, you should really try it. They are way different than all the other 9.5" converters. All of the "commodity" 9.5" converters (precision, art carr, etc...) use combinations of GM off-the-shelf parts. So they are limited to the results achievable using those parts. The PTC stuff uses some in-house manufactured components, and the results are unique.

but it really does depend on the goals for the car. There are many ways to skin this particular cat.

B

You forgot to mention how this car will be driven primarily.

Is it a street car that sees some track time??Or vice versa??

Non lock up converters suck on the street if you want the mileage to be at it's best.

I have driven both LU and NLU and I don't care how people try to spin it, a good LU is better for street driven cars for people looking to get performance and economy.

You can have both with a LU converter. Race performance and street mileage.

There are LU converters being built now that can handle and are guaranteed to over 1,000 HP in LU configuration so it's a no brainer to get a LU if you do any street driving at all.

RZ.

These have been available for a long time. A vigilante multi disc can hold that much power. Or you can buy a Neil Chance to hold 2000hp while locked. Most guys who go to the non lock are looking for great spool along with great efficiency without having to lock it at WOT.

I still say for an 11 second car a lock up converter is fine. For a 10 second and faster car the non lock is the way to go for guys interested in getting everything they can out of one at the track. If someone is more worried about comparing their mpg to others than how it works at the track then a lock up is probably their best bet.

Where's those log files of your converter? If I remember right it was going to stall 3600 rpm at 0 boost and slip less than 5%.

Dusty's PTC 9.5" NLU converters are INCREDIBLE on the street !!! There is no way to explain it to anyone that has not been in a car with one of his units. I have ZERO buyers remorse !

Bryan

Where's those log files of your converter? If I remember right it was going to stall 3600 rpm at 0 boost and slip less than 5%.

I had one in there that stalled at 3,200 at 0 lbs. and it stayed at 3,200 on the brake until about 5/6 lbs. of boost and the tires would break loose. It was to tight and I had it tweaked to loosen it up a little.

I have a 3,500 stall now and I will post logs as soon as the bugs get worked out elsewhere as I need to get my tune right before I go hammering my car.

If you have an open mind and we don't get into a pissing contest I will hopefully be able to prove that what is being built on a custom [customer needed basis] is better than what PTC is offering.

The PTC 9.5NL that was provided to this converter builder was cut open and after looking at how they are built was improved upon and installed in the same car that it came out of that runs in the nines.

His is a true billet converter, unlike the ring that is machined on the PTC [very good machine work BTW among other features which makes the PTC a good converter but there is nothing special about it from what he says, he has built a better converter as evidenced by how his converter is performing in the same nine second car the PTC came out of and it picked up a couple of tenths over the PTC.

I've been told that it dosen't fall on it's face like the PTC does by dropping the rpm's to much and launchs off the trans brake better also decreasing 60ft. times.

There is a lot of testing going on in various cars of varying power levels. I will admit that I've had my converter adjusted three times to have it fine tuned[at no cost to me] and now it feels like it's on the money. I feel confident that it will put up numbers that will impress you and make you think twice.

A vigilante multi disc can hold that much power.

His are a single disc that don't rattle and will hold over a thousand HP, but more importantly over a thousand ft. lbs. also. He will warranty it up to 1,500 HP.:D

Dusty's PTC 9.5" NLU converters are INCREDIBLE on the street !!! There is no way to explain it to anyone that has not been in a car with one of his units.

I have been in one and while they are good they are not as good as a custom built LU or NL converter. Incredible would mean no rpm creep or rising 3/500 rpms going up hills while maintaining speed. At least for me.

Before anyone bashes me for saying this they need to ride in a car that comes with a custom made billet LU converter.

You have your opinions, I have mine...
I look forward to seeing your results. You might want to upgrade that transmission before you hit the track too.
I dont think I would ever go back to a lockup unless I was daily driving a TR that was close to stock.

Bryan

Theres a difference between a regular PTC 9.5 nl and one of dustys units idk if you guys realize that...i have been told this by several sources including dusty himself.....I have recently taken interest in some local gumball events and perhaps even the michigan mile The inagural one was this year a few weeks ago.... My question would the NL 9.5 be ok to use if doing a gumball rally or power tour, or dragweek? i know gumball speeds tend to be 70mph plus vs the slower cruise on the power tour.....

I had one in there that stalled at 3,200 at 0 lbs. and it stayed at 3,200 on the brake until about 5/6 lbs. of boost and the tires would break loose. It was to tight and I had it tweaked to loosen it up a little.

I have a 3,500 stall now and I will post logs as soon as the bugs get worked out elsewhere as I need to get my tune right before I go hammering my car.

If you have an open mind and we don't get into a pissing contest I will hopefully be able to prove that what is being built on a custom [customer needed basis] is better than what PTC is offering.

The PTC 9.5NL that was provided to this converter builder was cut open and after looking at how they are built was improved upon and installed in the same car that it came out of that runs in the nines.

His is a true billet converter, unlike the ring that is machined on the PTC [very good machine work BTW among other features which makes the PTC a good converter but there is nothing special about it from what he says, he has built a better converter as evidenced by how his converter is performing in the same nine second car the PTC came out of and it picked up a couple of tenths over the PTC.

I've been told that it dosen't fall on it's face like the PTC does by dropping the rpm's to much and launchs off the trans brake better also decreasing 60ft. times.

There is a lot of testing going on in various cars of varying power levels. I will admit that I've had my converter adjusted three times to have it fine tuned[at no cost to me] and now it feels like it's on the money. I feel confident that it will put up numbers that will impress you and make you think twice.

His are a single disc that don't rattle and will hold over a thousand HP, but more importantly over a thousand ft. lbs. also. He will warranty it up to 1,500 HP.:D

I'm not getting into a pissing match. I'm just keeping all the bs you've been told and continue to spew in check.

I'll itemize these so you can answer them in order. It's clear you know nothing about converters so anyone can tell you a line of bs and you don't know any different.

So your saying a single disc 9.5 Lu converter can hold 1500 hp while locked? Let us hear the names of those who have done this. Holding 1500 hp unlocked is possible for a single disc, locked is another story.

Do you know what makes a converter billet and what it's advantage is?

I want the part number off the converter he "improved on" copied or whatever. There is a 10" NLU from PTC that measures 9.5 that costs 475. I do not call it a 9.5 to eliminate confusion but if a "converter guy" looked at it he'd call it a 9.5 as its the same core as the Vigilante, yank etc...if he improved on it then you can still get my part number off the converter.

There is nothing special about any converter out there. It's just a combination of parts that achieve a stall speed. Those who can't figure it out on their own copy those who do. Guess which category your guy fits in...

So from what I gather he took a PTC which was most likely to tight for the combo, loosened so it was more optimal for the combo and it ran faster. Yea that's ground breaking stuff that's never been done before. We probably ship 10 of those restalled converters from other manufacturers daily. With data from a running car things can often be improved on.

Theres a difference between a regular PTC 9.5 nl and one of dustys units idk if you guys realize that...i have been told this by several sources including dusty himself.....I have recently taken interest in some local gumball events and perhaps even the michigan mile The inagural one was this year a few weeks ago.... My question would the NL 9.5 be ok to use if doing a gumball rally or power tour, or dragweek? i know gumball speeds tend to be 70mph plus vs the slower cruise on the power tour.....

There is no difference in a 9.5 from me or from PTC unless its a stall difference. They are physically the same converter. What happens is if someone calls PTC to order a converter for a Buick, I get a phone call from them and I spec out the converter. Early on they were way off on the proper stalls just like all other converter companies. When I began working with them this 9.5 wouldn't stall over 2200rpm. We worked on 3 new stator designs just for the Buick apps. So early on yes....there was a significant difference in my version and there's but now they use my specs if they receive a direct phone call. The 10" converters are different. I do have some different ways of achieving stall which is used in the 10" Lu and Nlu.

While we're at it RZ. Explain to everyone here what drives differently from a billet lock up vs a non billet lock up. Does it stall differently? More efficient, quicker spool? Explain in detail what makes it perform so much better from your perspective.

I stand corrected.... i guess my info is out of date lol ... It has been a few years since i talked to you about my convertor Dusty.. Im guessing that was when there were differences between your converters and an off the shelf PTC... Would i be safe running a gumball event 350 miles give or take using my NL 9.5?

i have also been told to switch over to a NLU, but its not an easy switch when you dumped $700 plus into a LU that you are actually happy with and now to dump another $800 plus into an unknown (personally) NLU unit and hope you like it.
If only i could borrow a NLU specifically built for my car to see if i like or not??? that would be awesome.
Seriously though my next converter will be a NLU just because of Pacecarta and Husek.

[quote="
Seriously though my next converter will be a NLU just because of Pacecarta and Husek."[/quote]

Excellent references there!!! You would be wise to listen to them. :)
But if you just spent 700 on a LU you are happy with then use it and be happy. :)

When it wears out or you outgrow it.........call Dusty....