No start!!!

macatoni

Buick Powered
I just got a no start. Pulled the car into the driveway and when i tried to leave it would not start. The motor cranks and sounded like it wanted to start but would not hold idle. Eventually it just wouldnt even do anything but turn over. I have a permanent fuel preasure gauge mounted to my hood which shows no preasure when i crank the motor over!?!?!? I need help on where to go from here. I checked the fuses and they all where operating fine. On the scan master the only funky thing is that there is no RPM display when i crank it over?I thought this meant the crank sensor was bad but i dont think it would prevent me from getting fuel preasure...

Oh and no codes where stored...

Any help is appreciated,
David

I'd start with the fuel pressure. The relay should prime the pump with the key ON, engine OFF. Can you hear the pump running? Check that first and post back. Stupid question, its not out of fuel is it? Our gas gauges are, umm, inacurate to say the least. (No offense intended, I've done that before and gotten totally caught up thinking it was something else... :redface: )

Ya i was thinking i ran it out of gas in the first place but the guage says 1/2 and i can here it swish around in the tank if i get under there and jiggle it. I am not sure how to check the relay. I can locate it and i have a multimeter, i just dont know what to do from there? I am electronically impaired on stuff like this....

David

macatoni said:
On the scan master the only funky thing is that there is no RPM display when i crank it over?I thought this meant the crank sensor was bad but i dont think it would prevent me from getting fuel preasure...

Any help is appreciated,
David
Usually no rpms point to a bad ignition module.Is there anyone nearby that you can borrow one from to test on your car to see if that is the culprit?Borrowing one may save you from buying something you may not need. :frown:

regretfully nobody around i can get one from. I'm stumped because i also figured it would give me a check engine light. And i know the light works because it gave me a code 23 for the egr last week...

david

Ok.. listen to this..

Sit in car.. turn ignition on.. check engine lite comes on correct?

And as soon as you turn the ignition on.. you will hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. if you dont.. stop and see why.

If you hear the fuel pump whirrrrrr for a few seconds then shut off... then start trouble shooting crap under the hood.

I feel retarded here but where is the ignition module? Are we talking about the ecm computor thing under the dash? Where i installed my chip???

In response to razors super fast response there, Yes the check engine light come on with the key in the run position without the motor on. No i do not here the famous GM whine of the fuel pump coming from the rear of the car. I know its not getting fuel i just dont really know what to do from there. I dont want to replace anything that doesnt need to. I want to make sure its everything but the pump before i take that apart.

Thanks for the help,
David

Ok so no noise from the fuel pump after i turn the key. Does this mean the pump has gone bad?

Maybe. It could be the relay, it could be a fuse. But, pumps do die.

I may be around Oakland tomorrow. I'm in San Jose. Give me a call at 408-229-9904.

macatoni said:
Ok so no noise from the fuel pump after i turn the key. Does this mean the pump has gone bad?

No fuel pump whine..= no fuel pressure. No fuel pressure=no start..

Need to check your fuel pump fuse in the fuse box. See if the car has a hpt wire for the fuel pump, if so.. check the relay to see if its transfereing power.

The ECM controls the fuel pump relay. Once it senses the Ignition key turned to the ON position, it sends a signal to "click" the fuel pump relay.. once this happens the pump will run for a predetrmined amount of time. Typically 3-4 seconds.

A bad ECM can also cuase your problem.

Unplug the ecm connector by the battery, wait 10 seconds... then replug it back in. Now go sit inside the car.. turn the ignition back on.. the fuel pump should run for a few seconds. If it doesnt.. then start the troubleshooting.. On the TTA one of the pins on the ALDL connector is used to jump power to the fuel pump. Which pin.. you'll have to research it.

I dont know your car, or what wiring has been done by who. If its all stock.. more than likely your pump has taken a dump. It is a pain to change.. and the real pain is draining it with a bad pump.

Reread through this post several times so it sinks in..

Guys.... its a TTA.. some of the wiring is different than on the GN.

Not sure about the TTA but on the GN there is a wire in the black wire loom just behind the alternator,has a green plug on it, connect it to the positive lug on your alternator, this will give juice to the fuel pump, by passing the fuel pump relay, you will hear the pump runing and see the pressure on your guage. I have used this to get my GN going after leaving it sit for a week or so without driving it. Seems the relay sticks or needs replacing. I have even driven the car home from the airport with this connected to constant 12v.