No kickdow to 1st

Turbo Riviera

Ok thanks to Jake, and all others who helped me get the trans this far... :D

I still have one problem left. The trans is perfect except for it won't kickdown to first gear under any circumstance. It also won't start out in first unless I have it in manual 1, or if I just started the car and dropped it into D or OD and accelerated. Though once it has upshifted even once, it won't go back down to first unless I hit manual 1.

Any ideas?

Ok thanks to Jake, and all others who helped me get the trans this far... :D

I still have one problem left. The trans is perfect except for it won't kickdown to first gear under any circumstance. It also won't start out in first unless I have it in manual 1, or if I just started the car and dropped it into D or OD and accelerated. Though once it has upshifted even once, it won't go back down to first unless I hit manual 1.

Any ideas?

Your line at minimum TV is too high. Get us the number so we can advise. Id bet its over 90 psi though.

Lol. You posted its at least 95psi in the other thread. Try backing off the cable one or two clicks to get the line at idle in gear under 90 psi and see if you get a 2-1 without pulling into M1.

Lol. You posted its at least 95psi in the other thread. Try backing off the cable one or two clicks to get the line at idle in gear under 90 psi and see if you get a 2-1 without pulling into M1.

Bison knows! :biggrin:

Ok, I took it around the block after backing off the TV and no matter how much I backed it off, it didn't lower the pressure below 105 or so.

I kind of thought this might happen. When I set the TV, I had the pan off the trans and with no throttle input, the TV lever was about 1/8" off the TV plunger. Backing it off wouldn't do it any good. When I last had the pan off to do the boost valve, I pulled the outer TV valve out and checked it's free operation. I also was able to compress the inner TV valve multiple times. I know it's not sticking. I will say that the inner TV spring seemed a bit lazy though. It took longer than I thought it should to return.

Start it up,
and rev it to a high idle or set the idle up,
unhook the TV cable and pull it completely out, and let it return completely, about 20-25 times.
If you have the pressure gauge still hooked up, watch it and post back what happens with it.

You have an issue with the TV system still. It still sounds like the inner TV valve is not completely returning.

One question....
If you've removed the inner TV valve, when you re-installed it, did you put the roll pin in, and when you did install the roll pin, did you push the inner TV valve completely in, so that the roll pin goes between the lands?

The linkage arm should always be touching the plunger.
If it isn't touching the plunger at idle, you will not get an immediate pressure rise when you accelerate, and this is death to a 200-4R.

One question....
If you've removed the inner TV valve, when you re-installed it, did you put the roll pin in, and when you did install the roll pin, did you push the inner TV valve completely in, so that the roll pin goes between the lands?

I'll check the high idle tomorrow so I don't wake the neighbors up... I have pulled the cable at low idle speeds and got NO change in pressure.

I have had the inner TV out. I did reinstall the roll pin. I was not able to get the inner valve out with the valve body still on the trans. I was only able to get the outer one out.

However, now that you mention it... I am wondering if I compressed the inner TV valve too far and installed the roll pin against the outside of the big end, instead of between the two lands. That'd be my luck!

Start it up,
and rev it to a high idle or set the idle up,
unhook the TV cable and pull it completely out, and let it return completely, about 20-25 times.
If you have the pressure gauge still hooked up, watch it and post back what happens with it.

You have an issue with the TV system still. It still sounds like the inner TV valve is not completely returning.

One question....

I warmed up the tranmission by driving it around the block a few times.

Hi idle pressures:
105 fully returned, 170 psi cable unhooked fully pulled.

Thoughts?

Still sounds like a stuck inner TV valve to me. More exactly, one without a full range of motion.

Did you work the cable back and forth to "clean" the TV valves out?

Still sounds like a stuck inner TV valve to me. More exactly, one without a full range of motion.

Did you work the cable back and forth to "clean" the TV valves out?

I'll pull the inner valve. I'm really leaning toward the roll pin being in the wrong place. That would prevent full motion for sure, and put the pressure toward the high side. I'm also a little skeptical about the spring in there... It seems really lazy.

Is there a shim (as from a "shift kit") or a longer spring than stock in the TV valve line-up? If the TV bushing has to be pushed in against spring pressure
in order to install the retaining pin, there will most likely be enough pressure rise to cause second gear starts. Of course, I am assuming that the actual
TV valve and pin are in their proper locations.

Is there a shim (as from a "shift kit") or a longer spring than stock in the TV valve line-up? If the TV bushing has to be pushed in against spring pressure
in order to install the retaining pin, there will most likely be enough pressure rise to cause second gear starts. Of course, I am assuming that the actual
TV valve and pin are in their proper locations.

It has an Art Carr kit in it. From memory, the outer spring is longer than stock. I'm thinking that when I disassembled the VB, I compressed the inner spring too far and installed the pin against the end of the inner TV valve instead of in between the two lands.

I spent all of last night fabbing exhaust for the car and wasn't able to work on the transmission. I'm hoping to get to it by the weekend. I'll post updates with what I find.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Ok, there was no visible binding of either inner or outer tv valves. Here is the tv valve circuit as it came out of the trans. I'm almost of the opinion that I may have mismatched parts at this point. The inner valve roll pin was installed properly.

Attachments

• IMG_1302 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1302 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 198
As a spare piece, I also have this tv circuit that has the TransGo modifications that I could try... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1303 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1303 (Small).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 204