No kickdow to 1st

Use the TransGp plunger spring, that other spring is f'd up.

Your problem is the spring. I tried that spring years ago with my first Art Carr kit and could not make it work. I put the stock T.V. spring back in and it worked perfect. :)

I have in the past and did not have any problems. These days, I just use the stock GN BRF spring.

I have in the past and did not have any problems. These days, I just use the stock GN BRF spring.

Unfortunately, it's not a BRF VB... Well, I'm going to go ahead and use all 4 transgo TV springs then.

The goal here is to lower zero throttle line pressure. Are we on the right track by using the transgo springs?

Actually it looks like my Transgo instructions say to not use the thin red spring on inner valves that do not have two extra ribs... So I'll be using the three.

Unfortunately, it's not a BRF VB... Well, I'm going to go ahead and use all 4 transgo TV springs then.

The goal here is to lower zero throttle line pressure. Are we on the right track by using the transgo springs?

Yes you are. I had all kinds of problems with the Art Carr spring. Too much line pressure at low throttle angles causing shifting problems. Drove me crazy for about a week. It was my first A.C. kit and followed the instructions to a "T" and had shifting problems. Out of desperation, I put the original T.V. spring back in and all the problems went away. This was on an OZ valvebody in my 84' Hurst Olds.

Sweet... You know sometimes I wonder how I made it this far on self taught transmission knowlege. :D I know just enough to be dangerous.

After putting the two valve assemblies side by side, some things are making sense...

The whole TV circuit was shorter, and I see now why I was getting 1st gear from park, but no first gear once I put some throttle into it. The outer TV valve was staying inside the VB because the spring wasn't long enough to push it out. Thus the higher line pressure.

I see said the blind man...

Every A.C. kit I bought after the first one I threw that green T.V. spring in the garbage. (Actually, I think they are all in a coffee can somewhere in the shop) :)

Ok, it's all back together now... I now have 1st gear and downshifts as expected. The only thing I can see wrong with it at this point is at WOT, it doesn't want to hit 2nd gear unless I lift slightly off the gas. Way too high for this car. Wrong spring in the governor??? I guess it could have shot the spring off too... I hear that's common.

Jakeshoe, I checked the TV actuator lever and it now contact the plunger as expected. Obviously the shorter Art Carr spring caused that little glitch as well.

Did you use the metal spacer inside the T.V. spring. If you did, try taking it out and see what happens.

I did use the spacer inside the TV spring...

I always thought that the WOT shifts were governor controlled. Would the spacer have an affect?

Is the WOT shift problem only with the 1-2 or with all the shifts?

Good question... I haven't had it fast enough to really know. Might have to take it out for a burn later.

If I had to guess, only 1-2. An old Monte SS I drove used to act the same way and it was only 1-2.

Is the WOT shift problem only with the 1-2 or with all the shifts?

I drove it today to try and answer your question about the 2-3 being the same as 1-2 with the whole no shift @ WOT...

I found out two things today. It will spin the tires on the 1-2 shift at about 3/4 throttle with a basically stock '84 hot air car with just a camshaft... :D

Also, I really haven't found a road I can take this thing on that will allow me to really open it up to get a WOT 2-3 shift. I tried today, and got pulled over by the local police. He was just about to give me a real good ass chewing when his radio went off with an emergency call... The dude just about tripped over himself getting back into his car to head over to the emergency. "You have a nice day I gotta run..."

I think I used up one of my nine lives... The wife would have come unglued if I had gotten a ticket in it. ROFL.

I'm going to head out now and pull that TV spacer out, and check the governor spring to make sure I didn't shoot it off.

Anything else I can be looking for for a no WOT 1-2?

I'm going to head out now and pull that TV spacer out, and check the governor spring to make sure I didn't shoot it off.

Anything else I can be looking for for a no WOT 1-2?

I doubt that you lost a governor spring otherwise all your shifts would be late even at light throttle. If it's only the 1-2 shift that your having the problem with you can change the throttle valve on the 1-2 shift valve to a smaller diameter one. If it's all gear changes then you can adjust the governor.

I doubt that you lost a governor spring otherwise all your shifts would be late even at light throttle. If it's only the 1-2 shift that your having the problem with you can change the throttle valve on the 1-2 shift valve to a smaller diameter one. If it's all gear changes then you can adjust the governor.

I got the tv spacer pulled. No real change on the 1-2. I can get it to do the WOT 1-2 if I back the TV cable off quite a ways, but then I don't get a 2-1 kickdown. I can't seem to find a happy medium between 1-2 WOT and 2-1 WOT kickdown.

I did get it opened up enough to do a WOT 2-3 shift, and it's fine. So we're looking at the 1-2 TV valve needing to be a smaller diameter then?