New Turbo Buick Owner - Frustrated with Knock read from Scanmaster, help appreciated

Im not saying there is anything wrong with the chip but with alky I would like a chip I know that is set up for my injectors my timing my fueling my boost ect

You can run any chip with alky. It's already been determined that he has a 93 chip and,of course it's burned for his injectors. The timing is okay becuase it's a 93 chip and because it does run good without spark retard sometimes. We also know that the fueling is correct because he is very rich and because he has a 93 chip. A 93 chip wouldn't be burned for 25 lbs of boost. I think the two most obvious things to look at,that would create dramatic fluctuations in A/F ratios would be the alky kit and the MAF. He's already said he has another MAF and alky isn't even needed at that boost level.

Turn the alky off!

You can run any chip with alky. It's already been determined that he has a 93 chip and,of course it's burned for his injectors. The timing is okay becuase it's a 93 chip and because it does run good without spark retard sometimes. We also know that the fueling is correct because he is very rich and because he has a 93 chip. A 93 chip wouldn't be burned for 25 lbs of boost. I think the two most obvious things to look at,that would create dramatic fluctuations in A/F ratios would be the alky kit and the MAF. He's already said he has another MAF and alky isn't even needed at that boost level.

Turn the alky off!
Im sure that chip has... But that still dont change the fact that a powerlogger could tell him a whole lot more.. It could tell him if the maf is bad... He could also get a way better tune than just reading o2's.....

Since you have a scanmaster make sure the MAF reads 255 at WOT, that should give us a clue about the sensor. Most times Red's chips have low BLM at idle and yours is 137 which is not common. What is your static fuel pressure?
Mike

It could tell him if the maf is bad... He could also get a way better tune than just reading o2's.....

He has a spare MAF and a Scanmaster. If he wants to tune better he needs a wideband and a fuel pressure gauge he can read while driving the car. He doesn't need a Powerlogger to figure out whats going on,however the Powerlogger is a wonderful tool and I recommend it to everyone.

Turn the alky off and monitor fuel pressure at WOT.

Mike brings up a good point about the BLM numbers. They could be high because of a bad O2 and that could effect WOT duty cycle.

Step one,turn the alky off. You can't accurately diagnose this problem with it running. After we see what happens in step one we can figure out what step two is.

The first run pulled hard: 834 - 0 retard - Alky system on - 16psi boost
Second run was like hitting a brick wall: 863 - 13.1 retard - Alky system on - 16 pis boost - yikes!

You say in the first run that the alky was on. Is this a misprint?

When Red made a chip yesterday or today,for 93 octane, he used and still uses the same timing curves. Motors didn't tolerate more timing back then,on 93, and less today. It's all the same 93.

You're simply being made fun of because someone knows something you don't. Human beings do this all the time.It makes them feel superior. Of course they never stop to think that there are things that you know that they don't.

93 today is not the same as 93 even 10 years ago. And even though u can run alky with any chip, Eric uses different curves for pump vs pump + alky.

Thanks for the psychology lesson. You should take your own advice. I just didn't think the newb comment you posted earlier was needed as everyone is just trying to help. We've all had our own experiences with these cars. You react as you say not to when called out though, ironic.

You say in the first run that the alky was on. Is this a misprint?
Nope...Alky was on for both those runs....per the suggestions in this board I will get it running good with 16psi and then use alky if I want to go higher. My mission with this car was to have a quick weekend driver with AC...not a race car. I only filled it up and tried it to make sure my tune didnt need alky..consensus in this posting seems to think I dont need it.

I am putting in new plugs tonight, will try the other MAF and unhook the orange wire to reset the ECM's memory, and reset the fuel pressure.

Sorry for the continued stupid questions... but setting the fuel pressure to 43 psi with the line off..is that done with the engine running or just key on?

en
I am putting in new plugs tonight, will try the other MAF and unhook the orange wire to reset the ECM's memory, and reset the fuel pressure.

Sorry for the continued stupid questions... but setting the fuel pressure to 43 psi with the line off..is that done with the engine running or just key on?
engine running and the vacuum line pluged

Start the car and loosen the nut on the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turn the stud till you get 43 lbs...Important to make sure you take off the vac line next to the stud while dialing in pressure..When you get to 43 and put back on the vac hose your pressure will drop a few lbs and that is what it is suppose to do...Consider getting a Turbo Tweak chip from Eric Marshall your car will idle and run better than it does now...

Do your adjustments slow and let the engine run at the new setting a few seconds to let stablize.

Disconnected Power to Alky System, Installed new plugs, set Fuel Pressure to 43psi with vac line disconnected, dropped to 38psi when the vac line reconnected.

Tried spare MAF...there was a reason it was a spare...the car would barely run, died frequently
Disconnected the orange wire to relearn the MAF on the original MAF

Can ran good with no CEL's

Made two WOT passes
834 - 5.6 retard @ 16psi - no alky
808 - 11.7 retard @ 16psi- no alky

AF - 05
LB - 40
bat - 13.6
Int - 135
bl - 147
mph - 0
clt 204
ats - Hot (Flashing)
r - 700
tps - .46
iac - 17
cc - 95
mal 00

Open to opinions...replace 02 Sensor?, new MAF ?(I have an LS1 just no translator), New TT Chip?

Leave the alky off for now and don't go wot until you get this figured out. When just driving around does the CCs change regularly going to 255 and then start over. That's a good sign of how the O2 is performing. The BLMs are high so it thinks it's lean and dumping fuel in. I'ld check for vacuum leaks and the MAF.

Leave the alky off for now and don't go wot until you get this figured out. When just driving around does the CCs change regularly going to 255 and then start over. That's a good sign of how the O2 is performing. The BLMs are high so it thinks it's lean and dumping fuel in. I'ld check for vacuum leaks and the MAF.
BLMs? - Is that the BL reading?

93 today is not the same as 93 even 10 years ago. And even though u can run alky with any chip, Eric uses different curves for pump vs pump + alky.

I just didn't think the newb comment you posted earlier was needed as everyone is just trying to help. We've all had our own experiences with these cars. You react as you say not to when called out though, ironic.

I'll give you $100.00 if you can show a quote from me where I called you a newb.

Disconnected Power to Alky System, Installed new plugs, set Fuel Pressure to 43psi with vac line disconnected, dropped to 38psi when the vac line reconnected.

Tried spare MAF...there was a reason it was a spare...the car would barely run, died frequently
Disconnected the orange wire to relearn the MAF on the original MAF

Can ran good with no CEL's

Made two WOT passes
834 - 5.6 retard @ 16psi - no alky
808 - 11.7 retard @ 16psi- no alky

AF - 05
LB - 40
bat - 13.6
Int - 135
bl - 147
mph - 0
clt 204
ats - Hot (Flashing)
r - 700
tps - .46
iac - 17
cc - 95
mal 00

Open to opinions...replace 02 Sensor?, new MAF ?(I have an LS1 just no translator), New TT Chip?
Did you get up to 3rd gear and roll into the throttle on those 2 WOT passes?? Are you able to see if the KR your getting is progessive??