New Turbo Buick Owner - Frustrated with Knock read from Scanmaster, help appreciated

The alcohol system is not a Julio (Alkycontrol) system. It is an SMC kit and was on from the previous owner and that is the system on the car when tuned by Boost Performance.

You need to pop the chip cover off that ecm and figure out what chip you have...That base fuel pressure is likely to high and you need to know if the chip was burnt for alky injection...
I agree. There's something not right and you need to verify as much as you can since you are not the one that did the mods.

Some shots of the chip, and the peculiar geometry of the wastegate actuator. Should the wastegate actuator be able to moved by hand (with the car off) ? I was not able to move in or out.

tr_chip.jpg

tr_chip_closeup.jpg

wastegate_actuator_linkage_2.jpg

wastegate_actuator_linkage_1.jpg

If George at Boost Performance did the tuning then your ok. as George is pretty much the go to Guy in the panhandle for these Bad Boys. like others have stated, more then likely you have false knock or Rich knock.

I didnt mean to imply that they were not responsive...George did everything he could being 9 hrs away and recalling work he did 3+ years ago.

Pull the chip out and see what writing if any might be on the inside. It is more than likely not a TurboTweak chip by Eric Marshall.

I didnt mean to imply that they were not responsive...George did everything he could being 9 hrs away and recalling work he did 3+ years ago.

Keep the alky turned off. You're only running 16 lbs of boost.

Get it running good without the alky,then figure out how to use the alky.

You said it pulled hard with alky and you saw no knock and an O2 number of 834.
You then said it ran like it was running into a brick wall with the alky on and you saw 13 degrees of spark retard and observed an O2 number of 863.

The most obvious thing is that it knocks when it is richer. I wonder if your alky pump pressure is inconsistent.

Let's guess that it is rich knock and keep the alky off and lean it out a little more. Observe what it feels like and the numbers when you do this and report back.

Again,it doesn't even need alky at such a low boost.

Hard to tell but it looks like a red Armstrong chip. Can you pull and read the writing? I used to run that alky kit and had problems when the MAF went bad. It's an easy check if you can replace with a known good one. Do you have someone near you that has one?

Hard to tell but it looks like a red Armstrong chip. Can you pull and read the writing? I used to run that alky kit and had problems when the MAF went bad. It's an easy check if you can replace with a known good one. Do you have someone near you that has one?
I do have another MAF...I will try it

It does look like a Red Armstrong Chip and yes,the MAF could be a cause of inconsistent fuel.
Turn the Alky off.

Keep the alky turned off. You're only running 16 lbs of boost.

Get it running good without the alky,then figure out how to use the alky.

You said it pulled hard with alky and you saw no knock and an O2 number of 834.
You then said it ran like it was running into a brick wall with the alky on and you saw 13 degrees of spark retard and observed an O2 number of 863.

The most obvious thing is that it knocks when it is richer. I wonder if your alky pump pressure is inconsistent.

Let's guess that it is rich knock and keep the alky off and lean it out a little more. Observe what it feels like and the numbers when you do this and report back.

Again,it doesn't even need alky at such a low boost.

Depends on timing, he may need the alky at this boost level but if it's already rich at this boost level, then alky will make the rich knock worse. There's a few issues at hand here. Getting rid of the alky may lower fueling, but I bet the knock is still present, just sooner. I have a chip with that red sticker on it too and it is an old RA race chip from the early 90's. VERY aggressive timing tables... I'd remove it quickly unless you want to run 110 in it all the time.

I bet that chip is not burned for your application...Call Red Armstrong give him the numbers off of the chip and see if he can tell you what it is...Until then I wouldn't spend any time running the car hard...Figure out what you have first...Verify injectors etc....

newbs keep on guessing
he post a pic of the chip... its a reds 93 , timing should be fine

that was my guess, Reds 93oct chip. Iv'e heard his chips are agressive and have alot of timing in them. if the knock is staying put , then he has another issue. if it rises them dissappears it looks to be false knock. SMC kit was th 1st kit I used way back when. then Razor's came out and that's what I run now.

newbs keep on guessing
he post a pic of the chip... its a reds 93 , timing should be fine

Those RA chips don't have the right curves for today's cars. Even if 93 octane fuel is available, it's still too agressive for pump gas alone. Transitional knock will be an issue. That's also why he's probaby rich at 16psi; add alky and the problem gets worse. Get a chip set up for your setup. A TT or Bailey chip set up for 16psi will work wonders and then the alky can get added as boost goes up; both timing and fuel problems will be solved. I'm no "expert" but I hardly consider myself a "newb" and my car had this same chip when I got it years ago, and I had these exact same problems with that chip. At 19psi with race gas it runs great though...

If you want to make the car run and not have any problems there are a few things I would do if i just bought a new car.
First which im sure you did is oil plugs ect.
2.New chip from turbo tweet
3.Power logger with a wide band
A power logger will give you way better numbers on a tune than reading the o2's and it can also help you see if the maf is bad.

There's nothing wrong with the chip you have. You sometimes have no knock when you run it .If the chip were the culprit,you would always have knock. Switch your maf,as you said you have one,and turn the alky off. Then proceed from there.

Those RA chips don't have the right curves for today's cars. Even if 93 octane fuel is available, it's still too agressive for pump gas alone. Transitional knock will be an issue. That's also why he's probaby rich at 16psi; add alky and the problem gets worse. Get a chip set up for your setup. A TT or Bailey chip set up for 16psi will work wonders and then the alky can get added as boost goes up; both timing and fuel problems will be solved. I'm no "expert" but I hardly consider myself a "newb" and my car had this same chip when I got it years ago, and I had these exact same problems with that chip. At 19psi with race gas it runs great though...

When Red made a chip yesterday or today,for 93 octane, he used and still uses the same timing curves. Motors didn't tolerate more timing back then,on 93, and less today. It's all the same 93.

You're simply being made fun of because someone knows something you don't. Human beings do this all the time.It makes them feel superior. Of course they never stop to think that there are things that you know that they don't.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with the chip but with alky I would like a chip I know that is set up for my injectors my timing my fueling my boost ect