New trans in, now wont shift...

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i just got my new trans in last night and got to take it out tonight. Anyways i took it to the end of my driveway and it isnt shifting at all, so i limped it back home and went over the TV cable adjustment procedure and made sure it was right. I took it back out to see if it would shift manually and it seems to do so, when i upshift to second it must be so light because i cant even tell it goes in. But then if i down shift back to first after picking up speed i feel the rpms raise so it must be dropping down a gear. Anyways, what should i check out first? I dont want to keep playing with it till i smoke the trans. Thanks

I just dropped the pan guys to look at the detent cable (which is set perfect from what i can see) and there is some trash in the bottom of my pan. Is this normal for a new trans? It has some kind of seidiment that looks like a little bit of sand, and then some black specs and then there are light metal shavings that are very fine. And there is also a copper looking metal flakes as well, almost like bearing material. WTH is going on? I thought it could have been trash from the previous trans, but i cleaned the pan very well, installed new trans lines, and a new trans cooler, so there is no way...

If you reused the same converter and there was trash in it, that is where it can come from.

Bryan

I think I would send the pics to him...
Looks like he is a hell of a Powerglide builder.

Bryan

I talked to him just a minute ago, he said the trash must have been left in there from something else i had like my cooler. I told him i replaced everything that could have had trash in it, but he didnt say much. But he wants me to pull the governor and see if its got trash in it. He also wants me to try and depress the TV cable a few times and see if there is trash in it that might break free.

Not to butt in since I don't have an an answer to your problem but I think this is the same guy that built a 700 for my brother in-law's 34 Ford . he's happy . My brother in-law said the guy wouldn't guarantee the transmission unless a new converter was part of the package .

I got it figured out guys, either im retarded or something got messed up a little bit. When i picked up the trans it had covers on all the plugs, little plastic things that popped into the holes. Anyways i drop the governor solenoid and theres one stuck in there. I dont know if it got pushed in while loading it or how it happed because i know i looked for sure when putting in the speedometer cable. Anyways car is now shifting and doing pretty good. Only thing im concerned about is that it seems to be shifting rather hard. Im not sure if this is normal or what, but it slaps into gear with no hesitation at all.

Sounds like it's fine now. Do the tires chirp at low speed when it shifts hard? that always makes me smile. :D

D

No not hard enough to chirp them, my last trans did that. But it didnt last to long lol so thats why im a little weary now.

I would install an inline filter for now to trap the debris you saw in the pan. Others may disagree but the pan filter does not do a very good job. Inline filters are way better and to smaller size particles just make sure to change it soon after. Glad you got it sorted out!

I do have a couple of those filters laying around that i was thinking i wasnt going to use. I could easily slap one on it for a couple miles and see what it picks up.