New (to me) T Type running E85 cutting out, bad fuel?

novi331

Hello! I just took ownership of Gary's 87' T type that was used as a methanol test car back in 87'. I have only had the car 3 days. I filled the car up with E85 the first day I got it and it ran great all the way home. I drove it today and it started to cut out when I was accelerating. I did not push the car at all and just put it in the garage. Is it possible I got some bad fuel? This is my first turbo Buick, so I am a little green.

Thanks!!

Brent

i've never gotten bad fuel in the 21.5 years i've been driving..
what chip is in it?
what injectors?
how old is the fuel filter?
how's the fuel pressure look?
the tank almost empty?

Yes, this was GaryK70's car. He only ran E85 and when we drove the car it ran great! I filled up at a station here in south Florida and it ran great all the 40 miles home.. 2 days later I go to pick up the kids and it started surging. I have PowerLogger so I am going to get some log files to try to diagnose whats going on. Can ignition probs prompt surging issues?

Check the maf and the fuel pressure id start there anyway maybe the pump takin a crap.....

Yes, this was GaryK70's car. He only ran E85 and when we drove the car it ran great! I filled up at a station here in south Florida and it ran great all the 40 miles home.. 2 days later I go to pick up the kids and it started surging. I have PowerLogger so I am going to get some log files to try to diagnose whats going on. Can ignition probs prompt surging issues?

MAF going bad or ignition issues can cause surging and cutting out. Bad fuel generally will not.

If your problems are occuring at light to moderate throttle, I'd lean more toward a bad MAF.

Here is the Powerlogger .dat file. I am not sure what the MAF readings are supposed to be, but it does not really move when under throttle. I am not getting into boost as I dont want to hurt anything.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• QuickSave.001.dat
    70.8 KB · Views: 48
I had a Dodge Ram that was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a faulty cam sensor. I did a search on the forums and others have described the same symptoms and it was a bad cam sensor. I am going to unplug the cam sensor and see what happens.

hey are you in miami? man i filled up my rx7 one time at a ugas near mall of americas a secluded gas station behind a mall not many ppl go there...anyways the car ran like crap had to change the filter and flush the tank, the ethanol had turned watery like...and started fouling my plugs and clogged my injector's i was runnning 1600's at the time i only go to major ugas stations where i see the pump is being used alot if the maf is going bad it would also run like crap... by the way i have a bunch of as delco mafs not sure if your running translator? but if you need one i can hook you up cheap, if your in Miami

Here is the Powerlogger .dat file. I am not sure what the MAF readings are supposed to be, but it does not really move when under throttle. I am not getting into boost as I dont want to hurt anything.

Thanks!!

Nothing much to be gained from that data file. Just appears to be idling. Got one with some throttle movement while driving so we can see how the maf reacts? Especially one that shows the problem you're suffering.

I am in West Palm, and I have no clue if I have a translator! I unplugged the cam sensor, and the car would not start.

That was the first time I used the power logger. I assume I have to hit record when I am under throttle! Does it just take a snap shot of that event?

the car will not start if cam sensor unplugged it will drive if you turn it on and then you unplug the cam sensor it will run in batch mode..

Ok, sorry to be such a squid. I read if you tap the MAF and it cuts out, it could be a bad MAF, so I tapped my MAF and it cut out. I will go turn my key on and unplug the cam sensor to see how it does as well. I recorded the about 15 mins of a run in the powerlogger and it only seems to give a still image of the car at idle. Good lord I hate being a dipsh_t..

its the maf then i have a few OEM one's you can come pick one up and see if it fix's your problem..i'll give it to you at @ reasonable price since your local.. im in miami not far at all

Donde esta? If I can get down there today it would be great as I wanted to take my wife for a ride and scare the crap out of her.. I am a recovering mustang addict and the MAF was calibrated to the injectors. This car has 60# injectors, do I run a factory MAF or something aftermarket?