New Smog Law!...Grrr....

Sounds like it will be easier to pass smog inspections on 2000 and newer cars that have mods as long as there are no trouble codes. Right now my GTO just squeaks by on tailpipe emissions. I guess in future I won't have to worry about it. :D Other than cutting down on the testing time I don't see why the BAR would want to this route.

Neal

we have that out here in Maryland.. its so easy and now you dont have to worry about mods to much. just got to make sure the Check Engine Light is off and your good to go :).

It's not quite that easy. One thing they check for is the diagnostic readiness states. They are flags that come on to show that all the emissions tests are running and you are only allowed one readiness to not be set. Every time you unplug your ECM or upload a new tune you have to wait until the car runs all the routines to set the readiness state flags. The evap test on some GM cars takes a long time to complete itself. I had fun with last time I had to smog my car. Many states other than CA will allow 2 readiness flags not to be set and you're still OK.

Neal

750H.P.V6 said:
It's not quite that easy. One thing they check for is the diagnostic readiness states. They are flags that come on to show that all the emissions tests are running and you are only allowed one readiness to not be set. Every time you unplug your ECM or upload a new tune you have to wait until the car runs all the routines to set the readiness state flags. The evap test on some GM cars takes a long time to complete itself. I had fun with last time I had to smog my car. Many states other than CA will allow 2 readiness flags not to be set and you're still OK.

Neal

Some evap tests typically don't run unless the gas tank is between quarter and half full.

Brian,

I wish it was that easy, I played hell with the eavp test last time I had to smog the car. I drove it around for better than 3 weeks and it stiil wouldn't set the flag.

Neal

well i know here they just plug and check. its ran by the state of maryland (you drive to a state building) and not local shops. guys with, tunes, cam, alum heads on new cars are passing.

What does this part mean?

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

Is it time to give up on our trusty LC2's and do a smog legal 2000+ LSX swap?

What does this part mean?

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

Is it time to give up on our trusty LC2's and do a smog legal 2000+ LSX swap?

My guess would be that item "B" refers to test stations with perfect ratings. Like the colleges that have on board referees who teach the classes. I've heard they don't buy anything, especially visual inspections.

I really can't understand why you guys would think that the Republik of Kalifornia is going to let us off the hook that easy. Leo's are no longer to do buyoffs on smog tickets, modified exhaust, headers & such. This is the reason that the Caddy is still bone embarrassing stock. I'm not too happy about it either.

750H.P.V6 said:
Brian,

I wish it was that easy, I played hell with the eavp test last time I had to smog the car. I drove it around for better than 3 weeks and it stiil wouldn't set the flag.

Neal

I'm sure the parameters for all those flags can be found online. There may be some that require 500 miles of driving to flag.

Gary Wells said:
My guess would be that item "B" refers to test stations with perfect ratings. Like the colleges that have on board referees who teach the classes. I've heard they don't buy anything, especially visual inspections.

I really can't understand why you guys would think that the Republik of Kalifornia is going to let us off the hook that easy. Leo's are no longer to do buyoffs on smog tickets, modified exhaust, headers & such. This is the reason that the Caddy is still bone embarrassing stock. I'm not too happy about it either.

That is so gay.

Gary,

I don't think you're missing anything. He insinuated that senior citizens and their Cadillacs have homosexual tendencies. :p At least that's how I read it.;)

Neal

Yeah, that will work... I had to have a ref certify my 85 swapped to 86 way back when I did that it had to be correct down to the chip in the ECM

Gary,

I don't think you're missing anything. He insinuated that senior citizens and their Cadillacs have homosexual tendencies. :p At least that's how I read it.;)

Neal

Then shouldn't the word be "ghey" and not "gay"?
I thought that "gay" was the name for a woman that isn't?

I think if you passed before ECM wise, you'll be fine.. sounds like they have just removed the measuring part of the test and I come closer to the limits each time I tested. I say reset the ECM for past engine lights, I have occasionally got some lights that later 'corrected' themselves. But I would assume a record of that light is still in the ECM, I could be wrong.

I remember people used to complain about how the tail pipe emissions were getting harder and harder. Then the CARB/Gov finally got rid of the tail pipe test and I knew there would always be 1 person that would still complain.... :rolleyes: You cant make everyone happy! :mad: But as of now 99 and older OBD II cars can have up to 2 incomplete tests for SMOG and 2000 and newer cars are only permitted 1 incomplete. Hopefully this still stays the same because if you have to have them ALL Completed, I will have to fix my Evap Leak!!! :confused: ... which reminds me, I have to smog the Pontiac!!! But overall this testing should be A LOT easier to pass!!!

Funny.. It sounds like the testing folks made things easier and lower maintenance for themselves with respect to mostly OBD type tests as opposed to the full dyno rolling test, etc.. yet they still charge us the same $$$ to get it all done. I hope they are spending our money wisely.

Neal

We have had this program in place in AZ since 2009, it's not too bad, but Neal is right.

I had my son's Mustang GT tested right after I changed the battery and they asked as soon as they plugged in "Has battery disconnected recently?" I had to leave and come back a coulple of days later after the car had been driven at least 3 "drive cycles".

"Drive cycles" vary by make and model and ensure the ECM has run all functions and tests before setting a readiness code.

The Mustang only has a few bolt on mods and passed with ease. I don't know what the ramifications will be for those guys with lots of internal/external mods, but so far I haven't heard any of my friends with street cars complain about it.