New Smog Law!...Grrr....

We have had this program in place in AZ since 2009, it's not too bad, but Neal is right.

I had my son's Mustang GT tested right after I changed the battery and they asked as soon as they plugged in "Has battery disconnected recently?" I had to leave and come back a coulple of days later after the car had been driven at least 3 "drive cycles".

"Drive cycles" vary by make and model and ensure the ECM has run all functions and tests before setting a readiness code.

The Mustang only has a few bolt on mods and passed with ease. I don't know what the ramifications will be for those guys with lots of internal/external mods, but so far I haven't heard any of my friends with street cars complain about it.

You have friends?
With street cars?
You're not confusing the term "fremenies" with friends, are you?

You have friends?
With street cars?
You're not confusing the term "fremenies" with friends, are you?

They're only "fremenies" cuz they can't catch me, Gary..... not unlike all of the "femminies" you've earned at the drag bars you always hang out in sipping Golden Cadillacs.......;)

Brian,

I wish it was that easy, I played hell with the eavp test last time I had to smog the car. I drove it around for better than 3 weeks and it stiil wouldn't set the flag.

Neal

If you use a decent scanner look for in performance tracking. That tells you how many times it ran the test. depending on the car the evap monitor will run after two drive cycles. As Bison said the fuel has to be 15-85% to run the monitor. If you set an evap code clear the codes and make sure you have less than an eighth of a tank and drive it for two days and and recheck monitors.

OK, TurboTGay, oops, my bad, I meant TurboTGuy, bad error on my part.

That's OK Gary, we all undrestand it's just in your nature and genetic make up to make such mistakes..... we still love you,,,,,,, well not THAT way, but we love you anyway.......:D

How's the bad boy running, Guy?

Lou has it right now. I was having trouble controlling boost so we're going with a new down pipe/wastegate.

He says it's back to it's former self and running great, so I'm gonna come out and pick it up this coming weekend.... can't wait.

If you use a decent scanner look for in performance tracking. That tells you how many times it ran the test. depending on the car the evap monitor will run after two drive cycles. As Bison said the fuel has to be 15-85% to run the monitor. If you set an evap code clear the codes and make sure you have less than an eighth of a tank and drive it for two days and and recheck monitors.

I have been running HP tuners. I pulled up a generic GM drive cycle online that may or may not be right for the GTO. I did plenty of driving and couldn't get the flag to set for the evap test. I was beginning to think I was going to have to non-op the car until I could come up with some greater insight as to what was going on. I did get the car to pass smog and have been driving for several months now. I should hook my lap top up and see what the readiness status is now.

Neal

I'm confussssssssed....
What's all this mean for a GN?
Is it still a matter of making sure your cat is good....resetting the ECM, lowering the fuel pressure and then just driving it around until its good and hot, or do you now need to drive around for a few days and on off cycles?

Tim,

It's really off topic and doesn't apply to GN's / Turbo Regals. It has some good info for guy's that have 2000 and newer cars as well as Buicks.

Neal

Neal is right. This is for OBDII vehicles 2000 and newer. OBDII cars from 1996-1999 will still need the tail pipe test and are allowed up to 2 incomplete tests (not Failed tests) to be able to Smog. Cars that are OBD I (the Buick GN's) will not be affected and still require the normal test. However, on a GN you can still Smog it with a Check Engine Light (technically but some Smog Techs wont let you) since you Do Not have to connect to the OBD port to read the PCM.

Many thanks for all of the info provided here, and although this info may not be directly linked to our turbo Buicks, I feel that it is important to keep up with these things, smog tests are not going to go just go away.