New Navy uniform

Hoist the B.S. flag there, Matey! Why does the digital uniform include combat boots and bloused trousers? You need to keep ticks and chiggers from crawling up your legs at sea?

You didn't want to wear white in summer? Why'd ya' join the USN? Or didn't you know that goin' in?

WTF. With everybody else going so stylish with the digital cammo, maybe this is the time for the Marines to go back to good old sateens...or better yet - herringbones. Yeah!

Coveralls are still for use when at sea.
The digital is for inportand shore command working uniform. The bloused trousers are to look squared away.
Sounds like your stuck in the past. Maybe you can make your own "navy".
Have fun!

The most modern and advanced Navy in the world and some people want sailors to wear bell bottoms and cracker jacks.:rolleyes:
Maybe we should go back to ships with sails, and 32 pounder guns.

The digital cammo is NOT a tactical uniform, it is so a sailor can work and not have a uniform ruined by a drop of gray paint, dirt, grease, blood, food stains, etc. They require no ironing. They may not look fashionable but they work well.

The new black and tan have eliminated two high maintenance uniforms, summer working whites and winter blues (aka Johnny Cash).
There is no sewn on insignias and they have the creases sewn in and they need very little ironing.

The next thing they need to get rid of is the gay, dress summer and winter jumpers with the bibs, 13 button fly, and neckerchief. That outfit crossed over from "uniform" status to "costume" status after WWII.

But what the hell do I care I have 2 months left in the USN.....:biggrin:

Gotta agree with Steve, after 21 years of wearing those uniforms , the people that liked them the most were the chiefs and officers (that didn't have to wear them). Come out with an officers/chiefs crackerjack jumper and you'll see a change real quick :D Old people loved them also. The Navy may have once been built on tradition, but it's not the same anymore, roughly since 1995 IMO. I've been retired for 9 years now and still work alongside sailors, things are VERY different today.

so no more dungarees and boondockers now aboard our ships, and no more buttons on the uniforms, was it 10 buttons if I rememeber right, been over
40 yrs now, but still remember the ol service number though, rattle it off like it was yesterday, memories, more good than bad, thank God.

Ron

""The next thing they need to get rid of is the gay, dress summer and winter jumpers with the bibs, 13 button fly, and neckerchief. That outfit crossed over from "uniform" status to "costume" status after WWII.""

Wow, did you really just say that? Got to love the dress blues. Everyone loves them. They are my close second favorite to the Johnny Cash's.

Coveralls are still for use when at sea.
The digital is for inportand shore command working uniform. The bloused trousers are to look squared away.
Sounds like your stuck in the past. Maybe you can make your own "navy".
Have fun!

You know...you have a point. I always thought that the Marines got it right after WWII by having Marines, NCO's and officers all wear basically the same uniform, and that the Navy's separate uniforms for E-1 to E-6, from those of officers and chiefs was kinda screwed up. So...I won't argue with you that an update was needed.

But digital camouflage? :rolleyes: It's all very contrived.

Hi, I'm new here and have to say that the bottom pic is of the new NJROTC uniforms. (I'm in the program and wear the one on the left)

Shouldn't the Navy uniforms be a Taxi uniform? I mean isn't the Navies REAL job to taxi Marines around the world?:biggrin:

Sorry I couldn't resist. I hear it all day with the guys I work with. Marines, Navy, Army, Air Force, and even Coast Guard. They all hate each other. 'Course when the SH!T hits the fan they are all brothers and sisters. (now even "sissies", too)

I'm not sure if I like the new uniform. Is that also Navy SEAL uniform, too?

Depends on where the team guys are at. They have a rediculous amount of uniforms of every flavor and pattern, depending on where they are, or where they are headed. They do wear them in training though...

Hi, I'm new here and have to say that the bottom pic is of the new NJROTC uniforms. (I'm in the program and wear the one on the left)

As said before, that would be ALSO. I'm definetly going to be wearing that uniform again here in a few months. For right now I'm in this one..

DCU%20Quick%20Find.JPG

(that is a gay picture...best one actually SHOWING the uniform though)

Oh yeah..irony of this thread is just a few months AFTER i made it I wasn't wearing either of those uniforms anymore!! lol

The Army ACU is horrible...it begins to fall apart way to quickly, the seams, the sewing, the velcro; all disintegrate very fast. I am lucky to get a year out of a set when I used to be able to get two to three years out of BDU. But, less than a year until retirement so I'm making these last two sets last if it kills me. I really don't like the new Army dress uniform, especially if you take off the jacket.

And the black beret...I still can't believe we're wearing that useless piece of crap.

As for the USN...I thought the reason for the old bell bottom jeans had something to do with being able to take them off quickly if you went overboard or to use them for some reason in that situation.

In trying to find a color versatile enough for both desert and woodland environments, the Army's ACU became suitable for camouflage in only one place - the surface of the MOON.

The Navy has no business in cammies. I mean blue camouflage? Who are they hiding from? And where?

I'm sorry but the Marines are the only ones out of all the branches who have it right in terms of uniforms right now. Im trying to be as impartial as I can in saying that too.

The Army ACU is horrible...it begins to fall apart way to quickly, the seams, the sewing, the velcro; all disintegrate very fast. I am lucky to get a year out of a set when I used to be able to get two to three years out of BDU. But, less than a year until retirement so I'm making these last two sets last if it kills me. I really don't like the new Army dress uniform, especially if you take off the jacket.

And the black beret...I still can't believe we're wearing that useless piece of crap.

As for the USN...I thought the reason for the old bell bottom jeans had something to do with being able to take them off quickly if you went overboard or to use them for some reason in that situation.

That's what I've heard about the ACU's when we were doing our training in Ft. Lewis. Poor quality. Plus I heard they are really heavy and not comfortable to wear.

I'll give the new Navy ones this...they are at least fairly comfortable to wear.

but yes!! You are correct. The (modern) point of the bell bottom dungeree's was to be removed in the water, the bottoms tied into a knot, and then swooped over your head to trap air and creat a floatation device (there is some other historical significance behind them...but that isn't the point here). The utilities that replaced the dungerees had the same ability, but due to the lack of bell bottom they actually trapped less air. They both looked like prison uniforms though...that was a large reason they were discontinued.

That black and tan monstrosity is ridiculous. What the hell is the point of it? So yeomen don't get printer toner on their pants anymore? When I was in, the only people that actually wore the winter blues / summer whites were in admin, so I would think the PSD types would be the only ones that would benefit from changing the uniform. If they were concerned about looks, they could have just started issuing CNT uniforms in boot camp.

I don't really see the point in the blue cammies, either. Do they replace utilities? Can you actually wear them off base? That would be nice.

I just wore coveralls everyday, so it wouldn't have made much difference to me.