New motor with bottom end noise

Are you kidding me? To answer your question, yes, I think "some" do. I haven't been here as long as you but I'm not a FNG on this site. I've read countless threads where this happens. Please don't tell me you don't see this. Or, are you just playing blind? They ask to "out" the vendor, only to try and bash. Hell, it even happened to me with a thread I started about my transmission woes. They asked to out the person but I refuesed. I was sent pm's asking to out the vendor so they can slam him. My proof is in all the threads that end up like this one. :rolleyes: Post # 40 and # 41 should have summed it all up. How can you tell me I have an opinion of what happened and then tell me I can't have one about this community? (Rhetorical):confused: Before you try and make this a pissin contest I will not paticipate.:eek:

Hey Guys,

I bought a new transmission with a few goodies inside from Extreme Automatics. After getting the transmission installed, I didn’t even get a chance to put no more than 50 miles before I had engine failure. Before I had the engine failure, I noticed the transmission would not make the down shifts on its own after coming to a complete stop. I would have to place the transmission in Neutral then place it back in D for it to return to first gear. If I don’t perform this procedure, the car will try to start in D. This happened as soon as the transmission was installed and not over time. What would cause this? Can I fix this, or should it be looked at by the builder? Does anyone else have to do this on a new build from them?

maybe i'm confused, but seems like your mentioned the vendor in your first sentence. :confused: unless that was in another thread? dont think anyone was looking to bash anyone, but I sometimes its good to know what to look for when looking to buy a part, trans or having a motor build.

Are you kidding me? To answer your question, yes, I think "some" do. I haven't been here as long as you but I'm not a FNG on this site. I've read countless threads where this happens. Please don't tell me you don't see this. Or, are you just playing blind? They ask to "out" the vendor, only to try and bash. Hell, it even happened to me with a thread I started about my transmission woes. They asked to out the person but I refuesed. I was sent pm's asking to out the vendor so they can slam him. My proof is in all the threads that end up like this one. :rolleyes: Post # 40 and # 41 should have summed it all up. How can you tell me I have an opinion of what happened and then tell me I can't have one about this community? (Rhetorical):confused: Before you try and make this a pissin contest I will not paticipate.:eek:

Yes, the community would like to be aware of any problems with a vendor. However, its not what we want to see. Also if you look at the majority of problems its due to a lack of communication or miscommunication. There are many people that open their wallets and say "make me happy/fast". Thats when you can see which vendors are really out for your best interest.

Iam gonna have them resized and arp bolts this time. Iam probaly gonna wait till the winter to take it to the machine shop so i can put aside some cash for this.
By the time you buy the bolts and pay the machine time you are a good chunk of the way to buying a set of K1 rods. If you want to do that call me and I will make you a special deal. As far as the pushrods go when the heads go on is when the measurment for pushrods happens since Weber did not put them on it would be hard to get them expact, Same as when we sell roller cam kits we tell people to measure before installing the pushrods in cse they need something different than "normal"
Mike

maybe i'm confused, but seems like your mentioned the vendor in your first sentence. :confused: unless that was in another thread? dont think anyone was looking to bash anyone, but I sometimes its good to know what to look for when looking to buy a part, trans or having a motor build.

Nice try!! Wrong thread though!! :rolleyes: I did not let it simmer and come to a boiling MESS either!! You're right, I stated the vendors name right off the bat because it was not meant to bash and I had no hidden agenda. I wanted to know if the problem could be fixed by me, or was it user error or did I need to send it back so Lonnie could fix it. For the record, it was sent back and he fixed it, FREE of charge and it was pass the 1 year warryanty.;) Big difference in what I posted and what transpired here. Even when you go back and find the thread I'm talking about it won't mention the vendor. :eek: It's one thing to post about your experience to let others know but people take it and turn it into a bashing session. That's all I'm saying.

My proof is in all the threads that end up like this one. :rolleyes: Post # 40 and # 41 should have summed it all up. How can you tell me I have an opinion of what happened and then tell me I can't have one about this community? (Rhetorical):confused: Before you try and make this a pissin contest I will not paticipate.:eek:

Well I'm the one who posted in #40. If you go back and read it, I clearly stated it wasn't to bash them it was simply to complete the information the OP was providing. No sense telling your experience and leaving out the seconed party. If someone is dropping thousands they may want to hear about this guys experience first.

Also, Notice I didn't post 1 single thing afterwards to bash anyone? How does that make me a bad guy?

WTF, never said you were trying to bash nor was I making you out to be the "Bad Guy". I would not have posted if I didn't read then re-read. It's funny how you made it real clear that it wasn't to bash but it still turned out that way. :rolleyes: You see what I mean? I used the two post in reference as that's how it all starts. Post #41 gave you the reason on why not to mention the name. Like I said it's one thing to try and learn from ones experience, it's another thing when people take ones experience and turn it into a bashing session.

All due respect but given your statement I can see how RED LS1 would think you were saying the only reason he asked for the vendor was to bash. Also, I think it's pretty fair to say stagemonster did it right. He didn't out the vendor until they said his supposed lack of priming caused one rod bearing to starve.

I agree people on this site can turn pretty quickly on a vendor but you'll notice there are some that do business everyday here without a problem. Lonnie for instance. Lonnie is so good about customer service that I will probably never buy a trans from someone else. (can't account for emergency roadside stuff) I've been on the receiving end of customer service like the stuff in this thread and it makes my blood boil. I'm sure others are in the same boat. I don't personally think it's worth keeping a vendor around that charges top dollar and gives bottom dollar service. (that's the impression I get from reading this) I mean, if it's so concrete that it was an improper prime job why wouldn't webber explain? For that matter, why hasn't anyone explained? Just curious. It's also worth noting that stagemonster hasn't measured anything but even without that I still wouldn't want to be told I can't watch my engine being tore down or we don't have a build sheet or anything like that.

Also, if we don't have a vendor name for an experience like this it's a useless thread. What if I said "I had the best experience ever buying my tranny. The vendor was totally awesome but I'm not going to tell anyone who it was." That would be useless as well. People would want to know.

One last thing. I really don't think most here log on in the morning and say "lets roast us a supporting vendor today!" It's a small community and good or bad word gets around quickly. Maybe people aren't waiting to bash vendors. Maybe people just genuinely think it's crappy when people they know or people they empathize with get hosed and they get angry.

All due respect but given your statement I can see how RED LS1 would think you were saying the only reason he asked for the vendor was to bash. Also, I think it's pretty fair to say stagemonster did it right. He didn't out the vendor until they said his supposed lack of priming caused one rod bearing to starve.

I agree people on this site can turn pretty quickly on a vendor but you'll notice there are some that do business everyday here without a problem. Lonnie for instance. Lonnie is so good about customer service that I will probably never buy a trans from someone else. (can't account for emergency roadside stuff) I've been on the receiving end of customer service like the stuff in this thread and it makes my blood boil. I'm sure others are in the same boat. I don't personally think it's worth keeping a vendor around that charges top dollar and gives bottom dollar service. (that's the impression I get from reading this) I mean, if it's so concrete that it was an improper prime job why wouldn't webber explain? For that matter, why hasn't anyone explained? Just curious. It's also worth noting that stagemonster hasn't measured anything but even without that I still wouldn't want to be told I can't watch my engine being tore down or we don't have a build sheet or anything like that.

Also, if we don't have a vendor name for an experience like this it's a useless thread. What if I said "I had the best experience ever buying my tranny. The vendor was totally awesome but I'm not going to tell anyone who it was." That would be useless as well. People would want to know.

One last thing. I really don't think most here log on in the morning and say "lets roast us a supporting vendor today!" It's a small community and good or bad word gets around quickly. Maybe people aren't waiting to bash vendors. Maybe people just genuinely think it's crappy when people they know or people they empathize with get hosed and they get angry.

Very well said

Please let's make this clear, I NEVER implied that was Red LS1's intentions. If he took it that way, then he took it that way. Post # 40 is how it starts and # 41 gave the reasons on why he shouldn't. That's all I meant. :eek:

BTW, I'm glad that you acknowledge this community can turn on a vendor pretty quickly. I thought I was losing my mind. They can do so and don't even know the facts or the truth. :rolleyes:

It looks like they went above and beyond to help the Op but he refused.:( In my eyes that was GOOD customer service. The same kind Lonnie extended me. One last thing, it looked liked number 4 took the biggest hit but looking at the pictures Webber posted it looks like all of them were shinned.:eek:

Nobody is a winner here. I feel bad for both partys.:( I'm done!

above and beyond? was that when they said "we saw your thread on turbo buick, dont start anything or we are gonna post pictures of your engine" wtf is that suspposed to mean..HAHA.. it wasnt good or bad customer service...it was ZERO customer "service".

I'm not implying the engine builder is NOT at fault, although there are other circumstances and factors to consider regarding engine bearing damage.

above and beyond? was that when they said "we saw your thread on turbo buick, dont start anything or we are gonna post pictures of your engine" wtf is that suspposed to mean..HAHA.. it wasnt good or bad customer service...it was ZERO customer "service".

It seems that they went into defensive mode as soon as they get called about a problem. Their only line of reasoning is to start defending themselves, wether right or wrong. Its ****ty no matter how you look at it. If you walk into a store with a problem with a product, and the manager instantly jumps down your throat, and then offers to sell you the same product at a discounted rate. The customer is more than likely going to go elsewhere. Because of the customer service. I guess the most important thing to take from this is that the engine builder has an out, it doesnt matter if they mess the engine up from the get go up or you do, the receipt doesnt warranty anything. I for one will not take my engine here just because there is zero customer service.

There was not a thing wrong with Weber's customer service when I dealt with them last year. Numerous questions and concerns that I had were answered either then or via a return call from Bryan or Dave.

I feel for Stagemonster, it would suck putting the amount of money into an engine and things go wrong. Weber offered to rebuild it at a reduced cost, he should have jumped at that. How can you expect them to eat the total cost of rebuilding the engine? Initially they built the shortblock and shipped it to the customer. Then he installs the remaining engine parts. Starts and drives the car and things go bad from there. When thoroughly looking at the pictures and reading the posts, things don't add up.

did you take a look at the pistons yet? just asking cause I just lost a motor with 150 miles on it and turns out the diamond pistons are the issue. the pin bores are not square to the skirts (out .010) and it ate the crank. my builder was stumped as to why it developed a knock and checked everything twice and this was the conclusion. pistons and rods went back to diamond friday. hoopefully they are good about it.....

There was not a thing wrong with Weber's customer service when I dealt with them last year. Numerous questions and concerns that I had were answered either then or via a return call from Bryan or Dave.

I feel for Stagemonster, it would suck putting the amount of money into an engine and things go wrong. Weber offered to rebuild it at a reduced cost, he should have jumped at that. How can you expect them to eat the total cost of rebuilding the engine? Initially they built the shortblock and shipped it to the customer. Then he installs the remaining engine parts. Starts and drives the car and things go bad from there. When thoroughly looking at the pictures and reading the posts, things don't add up.
it was trouble from the start. they didnt meet the deadline they promised...they werent even close! then sent wrong pushrods, then it broke and you would spend more money with them cause they offered a reduced price? thats nuts!! they didnt ship it either...this was an in person pick up.

if weber fuked up machining the rods and that is the cause, which looks like it is. then it is their fault 100 percent, end of story.

dont see how the user could have screwed up something that he didn't assemble (the rotating assembly).

piss poor business practice if you ask me. somebody spends that amount of coin with me and something like this happened, i would be more than willing to work together to get it taken care of right away, not say you are on your own. do that enough times and you wont be in business very long.

i don't have a dog in this fight, from the pictures it looks like a screw up on Webers part. Were any measurements taken after this happened to prove or disprove?

The statement about lack of witness marks from proper priming to me is a BS move. Even Autozone rents a tool for priming that does not leave marks. What a crock!!

With the lack of response from Weber I would say that says alot. They have definitely hurt themselves for future builds from this board weather warranted or not. This is not a good thing as there are not many reputable builders left that can build these motors to handle what we try to throw at them. Maybe they don't care if they lose this business, who knows. Seems like a very bad business decision to me although I do not have all of the facts.

Good luck to you Stagemonster.

Bryan

This is all to shady still don't understand why weber wants all this trash talking about them the only thing I can say is weber is off my list when am going to do my motor nice going weber the internet has destroyed yet another buisness because weber is to cheap to fix stagemonsters motor bad buisness in webers part :frown:

did you take a look at the pistons yet? just asking cause I just lost a motor with 150 miles on it and turns out the diamond pistons are the issue. the pin bores are not square to the skirts (out .010) and it ate the crank. my builder was stumped as to why it developed a knock and checked everything twice and this was the conclusion. pistons and rods went back to diamond friday. hoopefully they are good about it.....

:eek:

is it just me or are there hot spots on those bearings, i have seen similar from bearings set to tight?

just asking

edit: if i remember correctly tight bearings will look like they were starved for oil.

I agree...I'm thinking somebody put .020 bearings on a .010 under crank (or .030 bearings on a .020 under crank)