New motor with bottom end noise

I use a shaft out of an old v6 distributor In a electric drill that also didn't leave any marks on breaking in my last three motors I did myself without any failures. So what's really the answer here?

I think this is another gray area, one of many.... I don't have a fance priming tool, just a well used one that I made out of a 3/8" long drill bit that I cut and tapered the end. When I recently took out my oil pump gears/shaft they would not come out due to marks etc on the end of the shaft. I needed to chamfer down the slotted side just to slide iot back out of the hole lol.
All things are possible I guess, but which is most likely? Only 2 parties know the answer I guess.....

#4 Rod Bearing

Rods 5 & 6 are the last oil reqirements in the turbo v6 and yet they were not the source of the problem.If the engine was not primed properly with all else being equal wouldn't you expect to see bearing wear at #6 rod bearing rather than #4?? The 3 & 4 rods bulkhead gallery supply to the crank main is separate and yet I didn't here a lot of whining about bearing destruction on #3 rod bearing.Everyone makes mistakes from time to time and thats ok.How we deal with them shows our metal.I would not be inclined to have any work done at the shop in this thread unless they can represent for themselves more credibly than they have.Just for the record I too have no witness marks around or in the slot of my oil pump drive impeller and my engine runs fine.Does the build sheet furnished with the engine reflect the bearing clearances?

Rods 5 & 6 are the last oil reqirements in the turbo v6 and yet they were not the source of the problem.If the engine was not primed properly with all else being equal wouldn't you expect to see bearing wear at #6 rod bearing rather than #4?? The 3 & 4 rods bulkhead gallery supply to the crank main is separate and yet I didn't here a lot of whining about bearing destruction on #3 rod bearing.Everyone makes mistakes from time to time and thats ok.How we deal with them shows our metal.I would not be inclined to have any work done at the shop in this thread unless they can represent for themselves more credibly than they have.Just for the record I too have no witness marks around or in the slot of my oil pump drive impeller and my engine runs fine.Does the build sheet furnished with the engine reflect the bearing clearances?

They did not give me a build sheet and when i asked for one Bill at the counter said that they dont supply them with the motors the build.

What's next?

J,

So... it seems like you took it straight up the a$$ with Weber pushin so what is next? Are you gonna persue anything else with them or are you moving on? Seems to me you have a good case, in addition to a whole $hit load of support from fellow members.

Chris

Build Sheet

A build sheet means they stand behind their work.The lack of a build sheet gives the builder the means to side step their ownership of mistakes (which we all make).When a very prestigious shop used to do work for me we always had a build sheet showing the clearances and the math to support those numbers.This particular shop has lost a potential customer if they won't stand behind their work by furnishing a build sheet.

A build sheet means they stand behind their work.The lack of a build sheet gives the builder the means to side step their ownership of mistakes (which we all make).When a very prestigious shop used to do work for me we always had a build sheet showing the clearances and the math to support those numbers.This particular shop has lost a potential customer if they won't stand behind their work by furnishing a build sheet.

X2

What a load of crap. I thought Weber racing was a reputable builder. Geuss not. :rolleyes:

Well i also see no updated answers from weber!! Looks like i have just found a close 2nd unreputable turbobuick shop on the east coast for badmouthing while at car shows and talking to dedicated LC2 owners ready to spend $$$$$! The 1st will always be shawn's auto service in clairton,PA! STAY AWAY....FAR FAR AWAY

why is there a bent valve in the cyl head pic?

I agree, in post 114 that valve does not seem to be seated properly.

D

That valve is bent. Blow that pic up 200% and you can see it's clearly open on one side. Those were the OP heads. How did that happen?

I am not an expert in engine building and have no reason for the failure. I don't know either party. Here is my take on this. Before coming to the board with this the OP should have contacted the engine builder, brought it to them and watched while it was disassembled so everyone concerned would see the issues. Everyone seems to want to point fingers without any facts. I don't blame Weber for not posting back, they are dammed if they do or don't. Each party seems to have it's story and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The engine builder should have a complete build sheet with everything they did and the specs they set. Everything should varifiable that way. The tricky part is the OP also worked on the engine and started it and drove it. For others just be aware even the best can mess up and not everyone knows how to start a rebuilt engine. Either way this situation sucks.

That valve is bent. Blow that pic up 200% and you can see it's clearly open on one side. Those were the OP heads. How did that happen?

I am not an expert in engine building and have no reason for the failure. I don't know either party. Here is my take on this. Before coming to the board with this the OP should have contacted the engine builder, brought it to them and watched while it was disassembled so everyone concerned would see the issues. Everyone seems to want to point fingers without any facts. I don't blame Weber for not posting back, they are dammed if they do or don't. Each party seems to have it's story and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The engine builder should have a complete build sheet with everything they did and the specs they set. Everything should varifiable that way. The tricky part is the OP also worked on the engine and started it and drove it. For others just be aware even the best can mess up and not everyone knows how to start a rebuilt engine. Either way this situation sucks.

well #1 he didnt mention any names until after he was treated like dirt.. #2, it shouldn;t be the customers responsibility to be there for disassembly..not everyone would even know what they are looking at..in his case he would but who has the time to sit there while someone takes ur motor apart. that burden is on the builder who was paid to do a job and didnt do it right..plain and simple.

even if they built 1000 other motors and never had a problem still doesnt mean they couldnt have made an oversight. the fact the OP isn't an incorporated business shouldnt mean the burden of the starting procedure is on him. I truly believe he did it right as it wasnt his first time doing that.. Maybe weber should include some paperwork on what they require for proper starting procedures. for example bowtie overdrives has a set up procedure to recieve a one year warrenty on their trans.

weber stated that his installation of the top end wasnt a factor but lack of oiling was... BECAUSE #4 rod bearing didnt have enough clearence from the instant they completed that motor. thats all there is to it.. they rushed to get it done they got lazy and werent thorough. the engine builder slacked off and didnt do a proper check on the clearences. probably becasue he's done it many times and it hasnt come up an issue but he finally got one that bit him in the a$$ and they threw their rep in the customers face instead of doing the right thing by accepting the burden and just fixing it at their cost. Instead their stubourness is going to cost them future customers. even more so their lack of customer service makes they look even worse. Its an unfortunate thing that didnt need to happen.. there was certainly a way for them to still fix the work but not insult and infuriate the OP. but they chose to hit with the 1-2 and kick him when he was done.. thats mickey mouse business ethics. i said from the start, its not personal, its business, but they made it personal.

Well, I would have spent the time to go to watch it be opened up, that is why I would use a local builder.

Well, I would have spent the time to go to watch it be opened up, that is why I would use a local builder.

They would not open it with me there. We already went over this. It dosent matter at this point they have an out their recipt says no warranty bottom line.

I have to agree i think bearing was also to tight.

also i understand no warranty but

its like a no return policy, what if they send you the wrong part. not the part you order, does that mean you cant return it?

if they make a mistake, they shouldn't be able to hide behind no warranty

sup jason sucks about the motor if you need a hand with it i have everything to measure the block and the guys at pittsburgh crank are good i had 3 big block buicks done and a few 3.8 blocks and cranks done the with no problems at all. you give them them all the oil clearances you want and they get them dead on. or do what i do use stock junk ****. i went 10.32 so far with that motor i put in the the turbo went and now my torque converter went so fixiing that and geting the turbo rebuil and start tuning it again

Bill, I am going to piss off somebody I know...

I can tell you that if Brian doesn't want to talk to you, you don't get him on the phone...

I am tried of asking for a phone call back. I guess this is a good a place as any to put as I am sure Brian will see this...

:mad:Yea I am pissed...

I am tired of a few vendors up here thinking they can skate by without paying... Maybe this will serve as NOTICE to all.... If you owe TurboBuick.com get with me soon, you know who you are.....

I dont think Weber will be making another appearance here...
Pretty sure they just tarnished their reputation beyond repair

Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Bryan

its not even the work that tarnished them...you can hit a bad spell with work but still make it right.. its the treatement of the OP that is the worst part.