New hotair intakes underway!

intake project

what exactly does the performance change if the air going in from throttlebody is still hot just as if it were runing through the bottom of intake and also what should be hp gain?

it's not the temperature of it, it's the flow of the intake it's self. It's the difference of trying to blow through a straw versus trying to blow through a piece of 2 inch PVC. That's the general idea of the intake modifications.

Originally posted by shaun mccall
what mods have u done to your hot air?

Have you been following this thread? The mods done to this hot air intake have been huge and have opened the path to future upgrades such as larger turbo, easier intercooler addition, etc. If you haven't yet, take the time to read the earlier posts in this thread and look at the pics.

I can't wait to see the improvements these intakes produce.

120ish kilometers and still going strong (canadian car/dash)

Drives down freeway very smooth.

Have parts on order to allow me to put the 86 ecm in, so I can tune and actually scan the car. Not sure what everybody else is using for a scantool on the hotair's.

Being a syty person, some of the buick stuff throws me a slight curve like the scantool issue.

Even with that said, it runs good. Fingers are still crossed.

I will say this, I don't see how someone could put this intake on without expecting some tuning via chip, etc. The airflow difference is so big, something has to change.

Any expert chip tuner with a hotair interested? Be nice to have a chip to go along with the intakes.

Video should be up tomorrow night, as I forget the camera at work.

Hotair Intake

It's great to hear that the car finally runs. Wouldn't it have been better to use someones car that has a known ET and MPH at the drags so you could see what the exact improvement of the intake is? This car is an unknown and it may not perform well and have nothing to do with the intake, just a thought. I hope it runs good and idles great, but the drag strip should give us the results we are looking for. Keep up the good work.

Yes, it would have been a better back to back to have done that.

BUT

from what I have found in other testing, you become held at the mercy of the tester, which you have no control over. Granted my testing has been far from easy and quick controlled soley by me.

I will at this point put out a thought, who is fast with a hot air and are they interested in the intake? Now that i am sure everything fits, etc. I would be glad to move to testing phase 2 on a quick buick for some back to back testing.

Video is up.

Note, engine compartment is still a mess, plans are for electric fan, etc. So look past that. By no means is this a show car.

This is also with NO tuning of the chip, fuel pressure, etc. As is with 84 hotair ecm.

Warning though, it isn't on the fastest server right now and is 23 megs.

So if your interested, feel free to dl, just expect it to take a few minutes.

If someone has a better host feel free to host it there also.

www.nwstp.com/jsm/hotair.avi

Ive got an 86-87 electric fan and the wiring to let you use the 86-87 coil pack and module.$85 shipped if your interested

Shoud these intakes be ready at the most 4 months ??? I dont mean to be a pest or anything I think this is the last hope for my car.

The current plan is to run 3-4 of these at a time...that way we don't get too backlogged. We want to do these exchange, so as soon as we have a few on the shelf and get a good exchange intake and plenum turn around will be about a week.

As far as eta of the first run, we hope to have another test car outfitted as soon as we get boost and run this one a little more.
(hopefully a week or two.) It all depends on how stubborn this one is.
In case anyone is interested....we are open to another test car. Known good, running currently with recent time slips, etc, etc. Preferably a lower et car for a back to back test.

BTW, if the tuning is a success, the car will be dynoe'd incurrent form.

Mike and I are sitting here working out some # and planned costs. Although not final they are VERY close and will give you an idea on final cost to do the mod.

Initially we are only going to supply the modded pieces on exchange (you will get YOUR throttle body and intercooler back)

I am hoping to work on a complete kit also in the near future.

Part........................................Where......................Part #.......................Cost
Intake (with hotair piping).....JS Manufacturing.............B-I-1....................$575.00
Plenum (86/87)..........................Used.............................................$50
Throttle Body (86/87)................Used.................................................$75.00 .............(Range $45-$200)
Throttle Cable (86/87)...............Motormite...............16583.................. $25.00
Billet Vacuum Block (86/87)...........Caspers..............102091......................$36.00
TPS Sensor (86/87)...........GP Sorensen...................7793556..................... $30.00
Intake Gaskets.............................Felpro................1200......................$20.00
Piping for intercooler and clamps...JS Manufacturing.............B-Int-1..........$250.00
Intercooler.................................................................Used.................$120.00
Intercooler mod for big tubes.......JS Manufacturing.................B-I-Mod...........$175.00

$1,356.00

Initially we will only be suppling the parts listed as JS Manufacturing on an exchange basis. This should give you an idea on final costs and allow you to start gathering parts.

Summary: Cost for HOT AIR version for the parts from me $575
Cost for Intercooled mods with piping $1000

If you want any piping other than a hot air or stock 86 intercooler version I will need your car here. Cost may change accordingly depending. Email me in this case.

Wouldn't it be better if your test car was a stock(slow)Hot-air?Rather than use a comparison(before/after)from a car someone has spent TONS on getting it to go fast.I figure if you used stock headers,crossover,up-pipe,downpipe then you could tell if there is a difference in performance.After all,the "stock" Hot-air is what we ALL had in the beginning,BEFORE we started modifying it.For example,If the completely "stock" car ran 15.5 in the 1/4 and by bolting on your intake drops it to 14.0,I would say that would be BIG!Then look where we might be AFTER the rest of the standard mods.IMO Mike :)

Wouldn't it be better if your test car was a stock(slow)Hot-air?Rather than use a comparison(before/after)from a car someone has spent TONS on getting it to go fast

We have a stock test car. Thats the one we are working on. In our flow bench testing we discovered the true barrier that seperates the hotair from the intercooled cars...Guess what, its not the intercooler. The stock 86/87 intake is almost perfectly flow matched to the 8445 head castings, and the flow numbers for the stock hotair were absolutely pitiful. Since we already have a stock scenario, we wanted to see just how far this thing would go on a car someone has spent a little time and effort tuning. Also, an experience tuner/builder/owner would be more likely to get the car dialed in for this setup in a timely manner. The key to making this mod work is in the details of a good tune.

stock" car ran 15.5 in the 1/4 and by bolting on your intake drops it to 14.0,I would say that would be BIG!

If you get a 1.5 second et drop with just the intake, I want to get $3500 a piece for them. Realistically bolting on anything will not make that much of a difference. A combo makes a fast car. matching parts and tuning accordingly. This intake allows you to take your car to the next step, and levels the playing field. I have said it before, and will say it again...WE DO NOT GARAUNTEE ANY SPECIFIC INCREASE IN HP, OR DECREASE IN ET. Anyone who garauntees a part to make x HP on any car is full of BS.

please see my next post.

Let the orders begin, we are ready!

Progress has been made in leaps and bounds in the last few days/weeks.

The new engine is in, oil pressure is good, and tonight we achieved boost. The engine makes the speedo needle disapear, in a hurry, and continues to pull at well over 100, and pull well. Oh yeah, and thats with only 6-7 psi.

We found that our boost issue was a matter of wastegate placement. Once we converted the rod to an adjustable style and lowered the wastegate diaphragm, we were able to achieve solid base boost (vacuum hose is off wasegate) We are afraid to run much over 8 psi...10 max until we can get a scan tool on it, but it was truly impressive.;) At boost that low it pulls better than any other near stock hotair I have been in, better than the TURBOMOTION car we tested, and as well as any stock 86/87 I've driven.

We are about 99% that we are way lean right now, and are ready to begin dialing in the tune, so numbers should improve rapidly at this point. The true potential of this intake will not be fully clear until it is tried on several combos, and spent more time being tweaked . But we are satisfied that we have a reliable, quality product for you at this point.

The plan is as follows:

We will convert to 86-87ecm, and start with a stock chip from an 86, and tweak it from there to get a good solid chip. We will make any trends we happen to find available so you can duplicate our results.

. WE WILL NOW TAKE ORDERS, WE PLAN TO DO 3 SETUPS AT A TIME TO KEEP TURN AROUND TO A MINIMUM. FOR THE TIME BEING, WE ARE ONLY ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR THE SETUP WITHOUT THE INTERCOOLER

the "bolton-ability" has been tested and verified on 2 hotair blocks and 1 109 all with 8445 heads. The mechanics of the thing as well as the engineering is solid and ready for the street.

Please be aware that tuning and adjustments will be necessary to completely dial in your particular set-up.

Jeff, chime in if I missed anything here.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or email.

Hotair Intake

Give us the details of how you want us to order. I have a stock hot air exchange manifold ready to go. I have a 87 Throttle body and plenum. Do you need any other parts? I have a Spearco intercooler, 36 lb injectors, Walbro pump, hot wire kit, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, SMC alcohol injection, Caspers Ultra chip. So if you need someone to give you feed back on Spearco intercooler results I can help you. Need the address to send you the parts. Phone number would help also. My email is rflint@mn.rr.com

Is this correct?I buy your intake for $575.00.I get modified intake and all piping to hook it up from turbo to intake?I will then need to buy doghouse,throttle body,vacume block,throttle cable,TV cable.What do I need to hook up my MAF pipe to the turbo as the stock throttle body is gone.I am very interested,I will probably buy one,I just need a little more info as to what exactly is needed.If you could put together a product info sheet it would help.Is the EGR system gone?Do I need a new chip eliminating the EGR?A vacume diagram showing how to hook up all these hybrid lines.With the work that you do to the intake require it to be powder coated?Have you filled your 3 orders yet?How do I know where to send the money?Do you take credit card?What is the turnaround time?$575.00 is reasonable I am concerned with all the hidden costs.That is where your instruction sheet comes in!Thank you much!:)