New hotair intakes underway!

I will get some new pics up in next day or two of it in the car, 95% done.

Unfortunetly as I went to break in new cam today, something is not sounding right. As motor had flat lobes, we went ahead and threw in new bearings with cam, but afraid it needs more.

Either that or Mike is stuck in the oil pan with a big sludge hammer trying to get out.

Damn. Checked bearing clearances even. grrrrrrrr.

Pics will be coming...

Motor actually runs VERY well for not even tuning yet, although the noises coming from motor are not so great.

flat lobes

The usual problems with cams going flat is that the lifters are made of the wrong metal for the cam. I had a Buick engine that I had three bad lifters and thought I could just take 3 other used lifters from a same type of engine and swap them in place. It worked for about 2 months and then the 3 lifters caused the cam to go flat. Thats when I found out that the cams & lifters have to match.

Was the thermostat housing modified or did you source one from a different motor???

Thats the stocker with the little tube cut off. IT works slick this way.

I am still hoping the noise is external...pics to be posted of complete unit soon.

When we bought the car the guy said it had made a noise, just after he put 2 new lifters in, and when we pulled it apart, it had flat lobes. We replaced the cam and lifters, put in new standard bearings, and a new oil pump. All the bearing clearances plasti-gauged fine. THere was one rod bearing that looked like it had taken quite a pounding, but even it measured out ok with the new bearings.

As for the noise, Jeff is going to shoot some video so I can get a listen tonight...He is 90 miles south of me, and I wasn't there last night for the break in period. I am hopeful that we find a not so severe issue that solves the problem, but as everyone knows, that rarely happens. Its a damn shame too, cause the motor fired right up when I first hit the key on Saturday.

let me pose a question to you guys......

We are going to show the intake setup on Saturday, running engine or not, and we are trying to figure out whether it would be better to yank the engine and have it on a stand, or trailer the car to the track so eveyone can see what it looks like in the car. I am leaning toward in the car, but since it needs pulled anyway, we are not sure.

Any opinions on this?

Mike and his dad are coming down as I type to look at car, and trailer it to cincinatti meet.

Still have an odd knock from inside engine though, unrelated to intake. Oil pressure is great, can't pinpoint yet. Sounds just like a diesel running although it will stop when at low idle, in gear etc.

I will say even with the noise it idles rock steady. Started first time, etc. Just wish the engine now would agree.

Car came back apart today. Rod bearing was not happy. We were a bit worried before, but didn't have the intelligence then to do something different. NO i get to do that.

Hindsight I guess.

Started on intake #2, which is going on an already runnign car once it comes out of paint shop. (told 1-2 weeks).

Crank is DOA.

Grinder thinks he can get me a core local for $70 today, if not I am pulling crank from the spare motor to get done up.

Shooting for reinstall next weekend.

Hopefully I am not putting a jinx on things, but I finally got the motor running again.

Basically had to rebuild the motor. Didn't bore it, but otherwise the shortblock is new.

Just got in from firing it up for the first time. Is always good when the first time you crank the key it just runs.

Got to put about 1 min on it, runs VERY smooth. Throttle response suprised even me. Is instant and I have not set FPR yet so I am sure fueling is way off.

Still a lot of little things to finish up hopefully in time to drive it to Bowling Green.

Project isn't lost, just a delay due to test vehicle engine. So far is is back up though and progress can resume.

Should be around $550 for intake exchange.

and a basic pipe like I have.

I have 3 intakes I can use for the swaps and will only be taking orders/$$ when I have one ready to sh ip.

We got a 2nd test vehicle in works. But once I feel comfortable with my car I plan to start on the other intakes I have here and be ready for others.

I will be in Bowling Green on friday, so look for a WH1 Hotair car.

Is this car going to be ready for Nats? Will it even be there? I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. Not trying to hassle you, but haven't heard anything for quite some time. If you'll be there, how can I find you?

We are hoping to be there on friday. My work schedule and recently being gone due to a death in family prevent me from taking any more vacation time.

Car is running, of sorts.

Got some electrical gremlins now. Motor sounds solid, and we were making progress tonight then all the sudden we lost TPS voltage.

Still not sure why. Get to probe more wires tomorrow and figure that one out.

We were joking the hardest part of the whole project hasn't been the intake conversion, but all the other BS the car seems to throw at us.

I think it's new name is going to be Cristine. All started on trip back from buying car and 2am someone throws concrete from overpass breaking windshield.

We are trying very hard to make the nats WITH the car.

Well, a month ago I would have gauranteed the car to be there even if I had to tow the damn thing. But with $2 per gallon gas costs, I am not dragging that heavy car/trailer/tahoe that far if you cant even see it running. Jeff spent the entire evening on the TPS issue, and I am going down to Louisville today to spend some time on it. If the electrical system can be worked out tonight, I see no reason that the car won't be there for Friday.

The car is an '84 Wh1 (black and grey two tone) it will be in the spectator parking area with the hood up ( a lot of the time anyway). She should be pretty easy to spot, I would think. We will try to get the most obvious space that we can.

I will have my Cell with me. If we can get reception at Beech Bend.

859-743-4967.

One thing we have found is that this car is pig rich with the new setup. Rich beyond what I had anticipated. I knew the engineers had added extra fuel to compensate for heat, but holy crap, it nearly runs out the tailpipe.

We worked hard again last night on it.

Electrical issues seem to plague us.

Granted I did convert to a new ECM (7749) as I am most familiar with it. (thanks to Bruce also for the help).

At this point I don't think we have an ECM issue but something else.

I will offer anybody traveling through Louisville to call mike and you can come see the car, and probably see it idle.

I have $100 bill if you fix problem while there also.

Yes and no.

Car runs now, been busy preparing for SyTy nats this weekend so had to back car out and get some other things done first.

Right now car runs, drives on stock ECM.

The new motor is causing some "entertainment". Currently the oil pressure light flashes at idle, so all testing was cut short to determine what is up, install real guage, etc.

Thinking the pump or its systems are not up to speed, only guage will tell for sure.

We did get in a couple good runs, with flapping wastegate, no tuning, etc. Car was strong. With any tuning it could be an animal.

In the meantime I have 2 other "test" vehicles being worked on with instructions to owners to get it running tip top BEFORE installing intake.

This installing intake on new motor, cam, computer isn't working out. 1 change at a time from now on.

Progress is still being made, although other things have taken priority. I do think we have design where I want it, just want complete testing and intakes ready to ship before commiting.

Gauges for the car are on order aqnd should be in shortly. We will be working on it Saturday night.