New Guy Lurking through the classified ads!

FADER

Hello. I have been referencing this site for quite a few years for various questions that I have had. I have owned a number of G body cars but I have not yet owned a Turbo Buick. I currently am restoring a 1985 Olds Cutlass 442. I basically bought a rust free shell & it is a "work in progress" to put it nicely! I decided to join this forum mostly to check out the cars for sale. After reading more this appears to be a great forum full of helpful people & with any luck I will need to continue coming here to research the next car that I buy. I am definitely on the fence, I have some money that I was considering using to finish my 442 but I am also reluctant to sink a ton into minimal body & paint work when I know that I can do quite a bit of the work myself. Right now nothing is getting done as I am working Seven 10's at work with the possibility of not having a day off in March which severely limits my free time.

Back to the "possible" car search that I may be embarking on....I absolutely love 'limited production' G-Bodies! My 85' 442 is One of 3000 & the main cars that I am looking at are 86/87 Turbo Buicks, 83/84 Hurst Olds, 86-88 Monte SS, 85-87 442s, and I wont rule out a very nice 'regular' G body if it catches my eye.

I would prefer to spend around $10,000 or less on this venture although I have seen several cars around 13 that I would consider spending the extra cash! I have noticed that the cars featured on this site are definitely are on the rise & they sure aren't making anymore!

One thing that I am up in the air about is my lack of knowledge about Turbo Buicks. I realize that everyone has to start somewhere & if I own the car I would be reading tons more articles to figure it out. I would prefer to buy a car right now that does not immediately require me to be knowledgeable on the specific system. I basically have time to make small adjustments & drive it!

Anyway I realize that I am rambling on when I had planned on a short intro. I am off to the TurboBuick.com classifieds! Thanks, Fader

First off, welcome to the site. Read as much as you can stand, before you jump off the deep end. These cars are wonderful cars to own and drive. However, you should maximize your buying power by understanding what these hot rods are all about. If you're thinking of buying one, I would suggest to get with some Turbo Buick people in your area and have them take you out for a spin. Fixer-uppers tend to nickel and dime you to death. 10-12K should get you a fixer-upper Grand National, or a cleanish T-type, Turbo -T, etc, that will go just about as fast (everyone knows that the black ones are faster:D). Take your time. Let us know if you have any questions.

Mike Barnard

x2 what Mike said! A fixer-upper is sometimes just someone else's headache. If you want to wrench more than drive, go cheap. If you want to drive and enjoy, save the cash and buy one that's done. Yes, it will be more expensive up front but, much, much cheaper in the long run- and more fun!

Welcome to the Darkside.