new gtq turbo smoking

bird

had to send my brand new 70gtq back to precision after just 20 min idling time its leaking oil from behind the turbine wheel and smoking badly. maybe wrong clearance issues when it was assembled or just a seal? i am waiting on a diagnosis from precision. some guys claim they have to be run with a restrictor on the feed line but my old 70-p-trim had no issues and no restrictor and it has the updated bearing system. anyone else run into this?
tia

That's not what I wanted to hear. I've been saying I'll be getting a 70GTQ one day. I've had my TE70-P trim turbo since about 1997 and it's never been apart. It keeps going and going.

gtq was reworked and on on its way back. i will update once its back on the car. i love my p-trim as well. it was rebuilt in 2001 i believe and is still runs perfect.

Mine leaked a little when I first got the car running. After about 15-20 minutes, the leaking stopped and its been fine ever since.

Can not go wrong with limited Engineering

Bird let us know if you pick-up anything with the gtq?

Had limited do a 76 gtq with 3 bolt .85 percision exhaust housing for me and no oil leaks so far.

On a 2 lb launch with brand new 275/60 mt drag radials the car would spin out of the hole (1.75 short :mad: ) and on slicks the car has put down 1.4's on a 4/5 lb. launch with the old 3 bolt 70 p-trim turbo. I think for real traction it's slicks or bigger drag radials. This larger gtq turbo "maybe" (not sure yet) a little softer out of the hole than my old turbo but I went the same 130 mph as the old turbo with 5 lbs less boost i.e. 18/19 using pump gas/alky with the trans flaring to boot. Need to try slicks, more launch boost i.e. 4/5 lbs., etc.

PS: Trans has just been fixed hours ago by Eric at Dynotech. :)

i will post results. i am a little busy these days, and although its getting cold here limiting traction i hope to make it back to the track once more. maybe in a week or two. thanks for the info. i wanted to get a limited turbo at first but they didnt offer the 4 bolt on center exh housing for the gtq so i had no choice. 130 mph with 18/19 psi is exellent. is that a stock bock? whats the rest of your combo like?

Bird wants it, so he gets it.

I'm using an 86 "carbed" 109 block with gridle, Eagle (heavy, approx. 6 lbs. more if my scale was right) offset ground crank with forged rods and a heavy flexplate, TA heads and "the" new Champion intake (just for look's) :biggrin: "AND" POSTON HEADERS with 3" down pipe through 2 1/2" closed exhaust with at the moment an 18* tt street chip. PTE front mount.
ME-R chip waiting on deck so I can remove that stock 3" MAF sensor and go straight 4". :smile:
I think I hit most of the good stuff, poston headers Hummmmmmm.

PS: The P-70 on race gas @23/24 lbs. was run on ported GN1 heads that flowed better on the "same flow bench" & tester as my brand new TA heads. The engine had a stock crank on 2 steel main caps back in 2000 with OEM exhaust manifolds and 24*of timing. I think on a blown motor the flow bench does not tell the whole story because you can see that my TA ports are larger. :eek:

wbrophy said:
I'm using an 86 "carbed" 109 block with gridle, Eagle (heavy, approx. 6 lbs. more if my scale was right) offset ground crank with forged rods and a heavy flexplate, TA heads and "the" new Champion intake (just for look's) :biggrin: "AND" POSTON HEADERS with 3" down pipe through 2 1/2" closed exhaust with at the moment an 18* tt street chip. PTE front mount.
ME-R chip waiting on deck so I can remove that stock 3" MAF sensor and go straight 4". :smile:
I think I hit most of the good stuff, poston headers Hummmmmmm.

PS: The P-70 on race gas @23/24 lbs. was run on ported GN1 heads that flowed better on the "same flow bench" & tester as my brand new TA heads. The engine had a stock crank on 2 steel main caps back in 2000 with OEM exhaust manifolds and 24*of timing. I think on a blown motor the flow bench does not tell the whole story because you can see that my TA ports are larger. :eek:
Did they flow the heads and intake together? Sometimes that makes a big difference in the actual number. The exhaust side is really effected by bad port alignment also. Rarely is a set of heads flowed with at least a few inches of tubing bolted to it. Were your stock manifolds welded, opened up and doweled? Those are some great numbers.

Now Bison Gets It

bison said:
Did they flow the heads and intake together? Sometimes that makes a big difference in the actual number. The exhaust side is really effected by bad port alignment also. Rarely is a set of heads flowed with at least a few inches of tubing bolted to it. Were your stock manifolds welded, opened up and doweled? Those are some great numbers.
On the old motor the stock intake (I feel is plenty good for 9's) was ported by self and matched to the heads. The exhaust manifolds were port matched on a tappered angle (if you know what I mean) to the GN1 heads and cleaned up where you could reach with a file, buffer or burr. No dowels, I matched as if they were installed loosely on all bolts before tightening and the exhaust manifolds were not seal welded, etc., oem condition. I really like the stock manifolds; they are tough, they really clean up. (sounds like a song) :biggrin: Intake and heads were not flowed together on either.