New Dodge Intrepid police cars

Would you expect anything less from Chrysler??
All I can remember was the problems they had with the 93-97 3.5 V6 in the Intrepids, along with the transaxles that would fail like clock work at 40-50k miles or the leaking head gaskets on the the Stratus and Neons.

My wife has a '97 3.5 Intrepid. Great car, IMO. Handles well and isn't too slow. 125,000 and NO major problems. No semi-major problems either. :)

Lots of our Lieutenants and Cheifs drive Intrepids. They like em...when they work. Unfortunately they break down alot. Lots of departments are going with the new Impala.

Reply to GNVAIR....

GNVAIR, I'm sorry to hear what you were saying about the '93-'97 Chryslers...:( I currently drive one everyday ( '94 Concorde with the 3.5 engine), and it's a really good car. I had to have the transmission redone, but I think it's almost normal now that the car is almost 10 years old!...But besides that,it still is a very good, comfortable everyday car!...That's it!...Don't worry, no offense taken!...'bye!
Claude :)

not true Lee. We had a 95 Neon that was one of the most reliable cars that we have ever had. Period. Head gasket was repaired under warranty. no problem. Chrysler builds nice cars..

Frank

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Would you expect anything less from Chrysler??
All I can remember was the problems they had with the 93-97 3.5 V6 in the Intrepids, along with the transaxles that would fail like clock work at 40-50k miles or the leaking head gaskets on the the Stratus and Neons.

It's sad but Daimler inherited these problems with the merger. The next generation of vehicles from DC will inherently be better. I am very confident that Daimler doesn't want their quality heritage soiled any further than necessary. Still they've only had the company for a little over 4 years. Many consolidations of parts, platforms and efforts are being combined regularly now toward the ultimate goal of Toyota-level quality in 5 years. It's lofty but attainable. Germans apply themselves well and are pretty smart people IMO, mostly from hard work and the ability to make tough decisions.

Police Car Trivia

Did you know all Police cars are built in Canada? Except the Mustang of course. :D

I work for a fleet company and I cant tell you how many water pump and head gasket failures occured at relatively low mileage (under 50k) on the 93-97 Intrepid models. Major problem was the fact that the coolant temp switch was mounted in a spot where it would get an air pocket. It wouldnt register that the engine was over heating until it was too late. There was actually a point where Chrysler couldnt supply 3.5 short blocks fast enough as they were going bad left and right. Other issue on the Intrepids, Caravans/Voyager and Jeep Grand Cherokee were porosity problems with the a/c condensors/evaporators.
They would develop leaks. Chrysler even acknowledged the problem on the 93-97 model Intrepids and extended the warranty on the evaporators to 7years/70k miles. Problem was the replacements were just as bad as the factory installed ones.
The Neons/Stratus had the oil leaking head gaskets. Most of these wouldnt start leaking until the car had approx 30k+ miles.
Samething again, once it was replaced they would start leaking again. Dont tell me how great Chrysler is.
I know out of all the manufacturers we had to deal with, their cars and trucks were the worst. Their warranty department was just as atrocious. I'm sure some of you can tell me stories of how great the one you have is. I am talking a fleet of over 30,000 vehicles.

But Lee, we only own one, not a fleet of Intrepids. If I had to replace the water pumps on a fleet, it would get old. But if I replaced mine once (actually my '97 has a better designed pump than earlier models) and that was the only problem major problem, I would be pretty adrn happy.

I currently have a Dodge, a Ford and three GM's. I've heard horror stories about them all. I base my opinion on the overall car, not just few problems common to all in a fleet. Actually I prefer the common problems. They are much easier to diagnosis. Get on a website, and there is 20 people that have "been there, done that".

Chrysler service sucks, Ford service sucks, GM service sucks.
At least that's been my experience.

I've had 2 Intrepids and didn't have any problems with either one. The last one I really liked, 97 3.5 with the slip stick shifter...wife hated it when I drove. :eek: I've also had a 99 Dakota 4x4, I'm not much of a truck fan, but I liked that truck.
http://members.fortunecity.com/ttype83/Pictures/TRUNK.JPG
And I could spot it clear across the parking lot. Now I have a "D" and quick for a big heavy sled.

Service sucks at almost all dealers :(

Jim

Lee, I don't know who replaced your Neon head gaskets but when ours was done in 96 it never leaked again. Just got rid of it 6 months ago and it is still going strong over 100k miles. No leaks.
Oh and BTW- I work for PSU and we also have quite a large fleets of Intrepids and guess what? No more problems then any other line of cars in the fleet.

I've driven the new Intrepids and they're kinda boats. I wouldnt use one if I was a cop....or a new Impala, I dont really like the way those drive either, gimme a Camaro and I'll be set;)
To stick up for Chrysler.....my family has a 95 Voyager: 198k miles, completely untouched engine, new tranny @ 165k, new water pump @ 197k. Not too bad IMO. Still running strong.
We have a 00 Voyager too, 65k, nothing but a little brakework.
00 Stratus: 44k, warped rotors but thats it. Chrysler stuff is good.