Never wrap your downpipe...

I had a bad experience with that stuff when it first came out. Wrapped the headers in a Dodge I used to own and then later sprung an oil leak, which turns the wrap into a candle wick, like those candles you can't blow out. I did use some to wrap the A/C line near the downpipe and noticed a 4 degree drop at the vents.

Very good idea about the A/C wrap....now I'm going to do that. Thanks.

Bruce '87 Grand National

So i took out my GN for the first time this year,over the winter i wrapped my 3" downpipe with a 46mm wastegate.The reason i wrapped it is because it was sappose to fit perfectly for an 87 GN...but it didn't so my guys at the shop had to Macgyver it and it looks like ****.So i wanted to wrap it to hide the weld marks,after driving it for 10mins i was smelling a burning smell,i pulled over and saw it smoking. I took the car home and ripped the heat wrap off and runs great:)...I am not sure to leave alone,i did spend enough$$ on it:confused:I don't really want to mention what brand it is...or maybe i should:eek:When i called them back he told me that my motor mounts need to be changed..lol what BS!:mad:Thanks guys!

I wouldn't rule out motor mounts unless you have replaced BOTH sides already. The passenger side will actually squish and cause the passenger side to sit lower from the super duper spectacular amount of torque created by these large displacement v6s

Mine actually sat so low the STOCK dp got good sized dents from the a-arm. The THDP i bought off the board has the same dent. Why it wasn't straightened before it was coated I'll never understand. Nevertheless, the passenger side should be replaced if it hasn't been

I have never changed my motor mounts,but i heard this could be the cause of it rubbing and maybe thats why my DP never fitted correctly in the first place.Where's a good place to find motor mounts and is it a big job to install?The Family Guy's great!

LOL! I just got some from one of the chain stores. I will warn you, there may be a bit of "finesse" invlolved with aftermarket motor mounts. The driver's side isn't bad to do but the passenger side sucks.

Motor mounts

I found a pair from nos4 GN,are these good quality? I don't plan on doing it myself but any mechanic can do these job or do have to call Nasa:eek:.I still hear my downpipe vibrating a bit, when i am going slow.:confused:

I've had wrap on mine for years mainly to reduce underhood heat, which it does wonderfully...after a full pass the outside of the wrap is just warm to the touch.
Then came Alky...the alky tank sits awefully close to the DP if its a TH style DP.
Also saves the rubber in the control arm bushings...

BUT, make certain you do not wrap it in a location that can remotely get oil on it from a leak. I pretty much stopped after it just past the A-arm bushings.
Other advantage is it allows the escaping exhaust to exist the turbo easier.

Had the wrap on some shorty headers in my p/u because the exhaust was so close to the heater hoses...headers were ceramic coated...after a few years I developed an exhaust leak...removed the wrap and the pipe had completely disintegrated..gone..nothing there!! So next time around I wrapped the heater hoses :)

Man my honest opinion is you should start asking about these problems before you do anything to your car...

if you had asked about the down pipe fitting you would not be in this predicament to begin with... a simple change of motor mounts, and no ugly downpipe.

Also once again you acted before asking on the header wrap... that was perfectly normal for new header wrap. Hell you should see it when it's fresh and wet!

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you a dollar in the future! ;)

This forum will save you money my friend! When in doubt just drop on by and someone will help you out! I wouldn't even own one of these cars if this forum wasn't around... :cool:

As for the header wrap vs. not... it depends how bad your car leaks. The previous owner of my car wrapped the crossover, and one day after a nice little burn out it burst into flames! It was a small fire, but it cost me a nice new shirt I used to put it out. I would still wrap the upper parts of my DP though, Im just too lazy to do it. Anything to help with the 100+deg Texas summers is a good thing.

Thanks Adam next time around i will check these thing out before:smile:So you think once the motor mounts are changed it will be rockn roll ready?:rolleyes:Fu-kin money in the garbage:mad: