Never before seen pics of Pearl Harbor

A great BIG Salute to those brave men & women who served and still do serve this great country.

Cheney Bro's

I have heard lots of stories because of the concentration of military people/ installations around here and I still get chills when I hear them and see pics like this. You know, I ran shops and turned wrenches for almost 20 years and I don't remember a WW2 vet driving a Jap car. They say we lose 1000 WW2 vets each day.:(

My parents live in Kailua (that's about 30 minutes from Pearl) and last summer I took my son to see his grandparents as it had been a few years. While there we spent an entire day at Pearl. I am a huge history buff and have studied WW2 history since my early teens, as my great uncle was aboard one of the chase planes at the bombing of Hiroshima, my grandfather built bombsights for B-25s in CA while registered with the draft board in Waco, and my grandmother was one of those "rivet girls" like you see in those old war posters, helping assemble airplanes up in Inglewood.

For those that have never been to Pearl since the USS Missouri Museum was opened, GO! I think the most memorable moment was when I was standing at the Arizona Memorial railing that faces the Mighty Mo...I looked down and saw an oil slick about 4 ft in diameter develop, then it floated away. The Japanese tourists at the memorial were very respectful, too. It is also eerie to stand in the memorial and look toward the USS Missouri (Arizona's sister ship), which is moored on Battleship Row about 400 yards away with her bow facing the Arizona's bow and her guns pointed skyward in salute. If you go to the USS Missouri museum which opened about two years ago, you can stand on the spot where the WW2 armistice was signed (it is surrounded by velvet ropes with a plaque set in the deck) and get the "full circle" effect...Look out over the bow from the Missouri you can where WW2 began for the US, turn around, and you can see where it ended.

My parents live in Kailua (that's about 30 minutes from Pearl) and last summer I took my son to see his grandparents as it had been a few years. While there we spent an entire day at Pearl. I am a huge history buff and have studied WW2 history since my early teens, as my great uncle was aboard one of the chase planes at the bombing of Hiroshima, my grandfather built bombsights for B-25s in CA while registered with the draft board in Waco, and my grandmother was one of those "rivet girls" like you see in those old war posters, helping assemble airplanes up in Inglewood.

For those that have never been to Pearl since the USS Missouri Museum was opened, GO! I think the most memorable moment was when I was standing at the Arizona Memorial railing that faces the Mighty Mo...I looked down and saw an oil slick about 4 ft in diameter develop, then it floated away. The Japanese tourists at the memorial were very respectful, too. It is also eerie to stand in the memorial and look toward the USS Missouri (Arizona's sister ship), which is moored on Battleship Row about 400 yards away with her bow facing the Arizona's bow and her guns pointed skyward in salute. If you go to the USS Missouri museum which opened about two years ago, you can stand on the spot where the WW2 armistice was signed (it is surrounded by velvet ropes with a plaque set in the deck) and get the "full circle" effect...Look out over the bow from the Missouri you can where WW2 began for the US, turn around, and you can see where it ended.

Moving experience isn't it!! :) :frown:

But one small correction. Missouri isn't the Arizona's sister ship. Yes they are both battleships, but they are several design generations apart.

Yes, and the disgusting part is, Americas auto makers are in dire straits thanks to all these Americans buying Jap cars. :mad:

I lost my grandfather about 11 years ago. WW2 vet and POW. He also had a Japanese sword (dagger??) as well. I still have his medals and the sword. B24 Liberator Navigator shot down over Germany, and held POW.
The Buick I have was his, and the bumper still has his stickers on it. 392nd ABD, the POW/MIA, and still have his custom NYS former POW license plate that he proudly displayed on the Regal when he had it. Hoping someday to be able to restore it and make him proud. :)

Moving experience isn't it!! :) :frown:

But one small correction. Missouri isn't the Arizona's sister ship. Yes they are both battleships, but they are several design generations apart.

Dave-- you are correct, after doing some more reading there were only four Iowa class battleships built. Before I left for HI I had done some reading from USS Missouri is host to thriving community which erroneously reports "sister ship." I also thought she was a sister ship as her keel was laid down in January 1941 and she was launched in January 1944. I should have paid more attention at the exhibit. :redface: