Never before seen pics of Pearl Harbor

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
Seemed appropriate in the spirit of upcoming Memorial Day.

Fantastic photos taken 68 years ago. Some of you will have to go to a museum to see what a Brownie camera looked like.

PHOTOS STORED IN AN OLD BROWNIE CAMERA

Thought you might find these photos very interesting; what quality from 1941.
Pearl Harbor photos found in an old Brownie stored in a foot locker. and just recently

taken to be developed.

THESE PHOTOS ARE FROM A SAILOR WHO WAS ON THE USS QUAPAW ATF-11O.

I THINK THEY'RE SPECTACULAR!

PEARL HARBOR

On Sunday, December 7th, 1941 the Japanese launched a surprise attack against the U.S. Forces stationed at Pearl Harbor , Hawaii By planning his attack on a Sunday, the Japanese commander Admiral Nagumo, hoped to catch the entire fleet in port. As luck would have it, the Aircraft Carriers and one of the Battleships were not in port. (The USS Enterprise was returning from Wake Island , where it had just delivered some aircraft. The USS Lexington was ferrying aircraft to Midway, and the USS Saratoga and USS Colorado were undergoing repairs in the United States .)

In spite of the latest intelligence reports about the missing aircraft carriers (his most important targets), Admiral Nagumo decided to continue the attack with his force of six carriers and 423 aircraft. At a range of 230 miles north of Oahu , he launched the first wave of a two-wave attack. Beginning at 0600 hours his first wave consisted of 183 fighters and torpedo bombers which st ruck at the fleet in Pearl Harbor and the airfields in Hickam, Kaneohe and Ewa. The second strike, launched at 0715 hours, consisted of 167 aircraft, which again struck at the same targets.

At 075 3 hours the first wave consisting of 40 Nakajima B5N2 'Kate' torpedo bombers, 51 Aichi D3A1 'Val' dive bombers, 50 high altitude bombers and 43 Zeros struck airfields and Pearl Harbor Within the next hour, the second wave arrived and continued the attack.
When it was over, the U.S. Losses were:

Casualties
US Army: 218 KIA, 364 WIA.
US Navy: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA.
US MarineCorp: 109 KIA, 69 WIA.
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA.

TOTAL: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA.
-------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• PH.jpg
    PH.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 952
  • PH1.jpg
    PH1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 954
  • PH2.jpg
    PH2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 960
  • PH3.jpg
    PH3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 945
  • PH4.jpg
    PH4.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 942

Attachments

• PH5.jpg
    PH5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 935
  • PH6.jpg
    PH6.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 922
  • PH7.jpg
    PH7.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 932
  • PH8.jpg
    PH8.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 912
  • PH9.jpg
    PH9.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 934

Attachments

• PH10.jpg
    PH10.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 918
  • PH1.jpg
    PH1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 926
  • PH12.jpg
    PH12.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 906
  • PH13.jpg
    PH13.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 912
  • PH14.jpg
    PH14.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 905
kirban 2 cents worth

Chilling photos....

My father in law was actually stationed in Hawaii that fateful day and my mother in laws father was a painter on the ships and had just gotten off his shift that fateful sunday morning....

I can remember him telling me stories about it....and I have a small fragment of one of the Japanese planes he took out of the water.....

I also have a good friends complete list of all his missions as a tail gunner, my Dad gave me a watch that was bent from a KP plate as he was in the Navy during WW11

I Feel like I am a keeper of the flame....

I believe the famous words the Japanesee General uttered soon the bombing of Pearl Harbor was something to the affect " I think we have awoken a sleeping Giant" How true those words would become.....

Did not mean to hijack your thread just share something along the same lines.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The impact of black and white film is probably better than color. Perhaps just as amazing is the film did not deterriate and was able to be developed and shared for all to see.

Dennis, You didn't hijack...you made it better.

I forwarded you the email with the pics. ;) They are bigger and there is more stats about that day.

Thanks!

Hey rob, Not to hijack either.

Can you forward that email to me to my PM? thx.

BTW. I have a brownie in mint condition. My grandfather gave it to me. He bought it years ago when he worked for Kodak in Rochester NY. Maybe I should see if it has any film in it!

I posted a memorial day message here.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/political-views/286416-day-remember-price-freedom.html

Check it out. Pretty good read and a good video message.

Not meaning to dispute the voracity of the OP's information but.....
As a many decades student of the Pearl Harbor attacks, I can tell you that many of thoe photos displayed have been around for many years. Many taken by sailors, some by news agencies, etc.
How could one sailor on the Quapaw get so many photos from all over pearl harbor? must have had a "fast" car. Some even taken from opposite sides of the harbor and on Ford Island. :confused:
Several of the books I have here contain several of those photo's. :rolleyes:

Regardless of where the photos came from thanks for sharing. My wife’s grandfather whom I became close was on the island when it was attacked. I will always remember him telling me the stories of that day and how awful it was. Your post has reminded me of him and how much I wish he was still here.

I'm taking my family there june 5. I have been trying to educate my kids on pearl harbor, this will help a bit more. Thanks for sharing.

My wife and and I were there in 2000. I truely feel that every american should go there and experience the power of being there in person. When you go out by boat to the Arizona and stand at the memorial over the ship, its a very moving experience. Now that I have children, I plan on returning there with them... Thanks for the photos.

snopes.com: Pearl Harbor

Thanks for sharing though.

Thanks for finding the snopes article that showed it to be a bogus claim.

Not trying to ding on the OP, he just got dupped by a bogus claim. After digging through a bunch of publications, I've managed to find everyone of those photos in various books I have on the attack.

Having been stationed there for a good number of years, HeavyD makes a good point. A visit to Pearl Harbor should be very high and everybody's aggenda.

My Dad enlisted in the Navy just after Pearl. We have a Jap Officer Sword he got in the war and a Russian Model 1944 Carbine he got in 1945.

I usually check snopes before I post a email that I receive. Who woulda thought to check this? Its not controversial...just interesting.

Well anyway, In the spirit of Memorial Day here you go. Pearl Harbor pics all grouped together without having to look through books.

Perfect time to be reminded of that fateful day which isn't often enough.

I believe the famous words the Japanesee General uttered soon the bombing of Pearl Harbor was something to the affect " I think we have awoken a sleeping Giant" How true those words would become.....

Perhaps just as amazing is the film did not deterriate and was able to be developed and shared for all to see.

That was Admiral Yamamoto. He knew Japan made a mistake.

As soon as I saw the photos I knew they were real but not true the story. Ever get some film that's a year or two old developed? It's all discolored and half missing. No way the detail would be like that.

My Dad got a dagger as a gift from a Japanesse officer. He was second in command at the first Japanesse POW camp in New Calidonia for a while. My Dad stopped all the abuse of prisoners by the guards and cleaned the whole process up. The commander was so mad he got the assignment he didn't do anything and let my Dad run the show. When my Dad got transfered to work on the Manhattan Project the prisoners were very upset. The officers wrote my Dad a letter (which I still have) that thanked him for treating them with respect. I guess they had been told by the propagand machine that they would be eaten if they were captured by Americans...

The amazing thing is that there have been 2 attacks on our soil in the last century and only one actual invasion. We have a great deal to thank those who came before us.