Need Automotive Tech help please (Olds LS)

Little6pack

Inspection time for me in NH. My 100k mile 1996 LS passed :)

The Mechanic tells me that my STRUT mounts are wearing out. :confused:
& presents me with a $400 (whole job) estimate if I want to get it fixed in the future.

(I am not really a FWD kind of guy) So I ask him why just the mounts are wearing. What about he actual struts? he said struts are OK. I would figure do all at once.

Can mounts be done by the average JOE at home in driveway by me?

Any average idea what the mounts cost so I can figure his breakdown in Labor costs.

On another note they told me my oil pan is leaking (which I knew).

I think I can do both these fixes myself but maybe some of you have done them in the past and can advise.

What will you do if no one ever replys? Pay $400? There's a big internet out there.....and a Chiltons.

If i was you i would let the mechanic do the mounts and try the pan if theres a strait shot at it.You need the right tools to do the mounts(spring compress,etc)You still have to drop the struts down or take them out to get at them-so with hand tools id say no.Ive done lots of them and some are easier that others--Your best bet if you want to do it yourself is go to one of your parts stores that sell the complete set(struts,spring,mouts) up all ready to install-that would be the easiest.
Brian

The mounts range from $30-$70 for aftermarket ones and while I don't have my labor time guide in front of ( its at work) I would say the job probrably pays about 2.5 hours to do and then you would need an alignment. You should do the struts at the same time with that mileage as they will be out of the car. Typically you need to compress the strut spring to remove the mount. I never did an LS and its been a long time since I looked at one to remember their individual design. One symptom of them going bad would be a popping noise when turning the wheel . Hope that helps some.

Thanks Guys. I definatly think it is worth doing the struts at the same time as the mount.. Doing the mount alone seems pointless.

The car is worth keeping it was owned by an old fart so it was not beat on except by me. Still looks decent @ 10 years old.

Well, your an old fart and you beat on it :wink: