Name some obscure US Produced Car Models made during the 1980s

Dennis Kirban

Strictly from the 1980s and US produced cars only what cars can you think of that have long disappeared from your area and probably saw very little production even when new.

A good bit of the 1980s saw little excitment in performance from US manufacturers. (Turbo Regals was one of the few exceptions). Most if not all US cars still played by the 85 mph posting on the dash. US manufacturers where still trying to incorporate bumpers to look streamline.

Lets see what car models you can list that where hardly seen in their day and now 20 plus years later are basically gone.

I will start the ball rolling with 2 that come to mind. One from the GM camp and one from the Ford camp both I believe where released on the public as 1980 models.

Both where turbocharged. Neither was exciting....more like nightmares for mechanics that had to work on them.

The Monte Carlo turbocharged version. Had a small hump on the hood powered by the Buick V6 turbocharged. A 1980 model. Cranked out 170 hp.

Rarer still over at Ford you may recall the early Mustang 4 cylinder turbocharged but did you realize they also released that awesome powerplant in the 1980 Ford Fairmont model?

What models can you name from the 1980s? They do not have to be turbo cars!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

obscure you say? the AMC Eagle, Spirit, and Concord. then there is the 80s FWD LN7/EXP Fords....the EXP/LN7 i think had the 120hp ford 4 banger with turbos.

Turbo Omni GLH

84 Shelby Charger
Turbo dodges kicked a$$ thats how i got my start i learned a lot about turbo cars from them and won a lot of $$ betting on them street racing cause most people driving them got laughed at till they showed people their taillights lol.

As far as obscure models id have to say the Dodge challenger from the 80s,and the chevy sprint...

As far as obscure models id have to say the Dodge challenger from the 80s,and the chevy sprint...

thse two were not made in the US, not that i know of...the Challenger, if its the 1982 model, or 83, was the US badge of the Starion/Conquest from Mitsubishi, and shared engine and trans with the B series trucks...the Sprint, a Suzuki made car with 3 cyl engine lol. the father of the Suzuki Swifft/ Geo Metro

The diesel Chevette with the VW engine and the VW powered Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizons come to mind.
How about the 1983 Corvette, only one made and now it's in the Corvette Museum.

Merkur XR4TI was a turbo car brought in by Ford/ Mercury. Never see these on the streets anymore although seems a member had a nice for sale here recently. Those Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe's seem to have vanished also and were very popular in the mid to late 80's. All of the GM G Body cars seem to be disappearing too..... hardly ever see them around either.

In the early 80's Chrysler made a Imperial that had a 318 FI motor. I think they where most all either bought back and or changed over to carb.

One showed up on the hook at the dealership when I was a young Tech.
After looking it over I called the rep and he hung up on me (twice).
The final conversation was if you can fix it call us back and tell us what you did.:biggrin::biggrin: True....

I also seen several 2.2 Turbo wagons. (Government plates):biggrin:

Turbo dodges kicked a$$ thats how i got my start i learned a lot about turbo cars from them and won a lot of $$ betting on them street racing cause most people driving them got laughed at till they showed people their taillights lol.

All of the salesmen driving them for demos thought the same thing.
I would grab one of the little turbo colts off the lot and get me a free lunch......:biggrin::biggrin:

Chrysler built a lot of wacky K-Car derivatives that seldom get a mention.
- Plymouth Caravelle with and w/o turbo 2.2
- Plymouth/Dodge Scamp/Rampage mini-pickups
- Dodge 600 ES Turbo convertible
- Chrysler Town & Country woody wagon & convertible
- Chrysler LeBaron GTS 4-dr sedan

Don't forget Chrysler's last rear-drive holdout, the Mirada/Cordoba twins.

GM's forgotten 80's cars would include the following:
- Olds (Toronado) Trofeo
- Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series
- Pontiac T-1000 (Chevette twin)
- Pontiac 6000 S/E wagon

My sister-in-law had a sporty '85 Olds Firenza GT J-car that was a twin to the Chevy Cavalier at the time.

Chrysler built a lot of wacky K-Car derivatives that seldom get a mention.
- Plymouth Caravelle with and w/o turbo 2.2
- Plymouth/Dodge Scamp/Rampage mini-pickups
- Dodge 600 ES Turbo convertible
- Chrysler Town & Country woody wagon & convertible
- Chrysler LeBaron GTS 4-dr sedan

Don't forget Chrysler's last rear-drive holdout, the Mirada/Cordoba twins.

GM's forgotten 80's cars would include the following:
- Olds (Toronado) Trofeo
- Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series
- Pontiac T-1000 (Chevette twin)
- Pontiac 6000 S/E wagon

My sister-in-law had a sporty '85 Olds Firenza GT J-car that was a twin to the Chevy Cavalier at the time.

Speaking of the Trofeo, one of my workers got one 2 years ago thinking its some super rare car. I warned him 10 times that parts will be a Nightmare to find. Everything on that car when it breaks (which is often) is really expensive so now he wants to buy one for a parts car. I said WHY Waste your $$$ get a Real car!!
He still thinks its worth something one day 7 I just smirk everytime I hear it.
he said its going to be as Rare as "My LTD" one day & I started laughing!

Renault LeCar, a mobile masterpiece.........of crap.
The SVO stang and XR4ti were so much better than anyone in that day realized...like the turbo Dodge compacts. Now w/ after market support and more knowledge they can really be impressive.

Merkur XR4TI was a turbo car brought in by Ford/ Mercury. Never see these on the streets anymore although seems a member had a nice for sale here recently. Those Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe's seem to have vanished also and were very popular in the mid to late 80's. All of the GM G Body cars seem to be disappearing too..... hardly ever see them around either.

Reminds me Pete Serio the well known "window rattle guy" had one of these years ago...got it cheap had blown motor.....neat car kinda ugly....problem with it no one could pronouce the name correctly I always called them muckers....

I am sure their is a club for them with a small loyal following.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The Chevy Nova and Citations..

The rare model probably was the X11 or X something Citation...I member few years back we use to sell the plastic High output V6 emblems which were quite similar to the 3.8 sfi hood emblems on our turbo regals....kinda neat to have them on the hood...

rust claimed most of these cars in my area...

denniskirban@yahoo.com