Name Some obscure US Produced Cars Made during the 1970s

1970 Mercury Marauder X-100. I think it had a big 429 mill and it was a large, long 2 door car! Anyone ever seen one in person?

Attachments

• x100.jpg
    x100.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 443
Laguna S3. Conceived in 1973 but not in production until 1974. Swivel bucket seats for ease of getting in and out. Neighbor of my Aunt had one when I was a kid, I really thought it was cool and wanted one. Still remember it 30 some years later.
images9.jpg
[/IMG]

OMG! Another obscure rarity that's on my list of previously owned gems!!

Mine was silver with maroon stripes. The 400 small block in it was a pig though in the 2 barrel configuration.

Anyone remember the 1972 Ford Sprint paint/ interior combos on the Mustang, Maverick, and Pinto? Had something to do with the Olympics that year. Wasn't that the year Mark Spitz won all the awards in swimming?

Attachments

• 72Sprint1.jpg
    72Sprint1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 652
Hang 10 Dodge Dart

'74 model I think?

Attachments

• Hang10_1_highlight.jpg
    Hang10_1_highlight.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 443
Laguna S3. Conceived in 1973 but not in production until 1974. Swivel bucket seats for ease of getting in and out. Neighbor of my Aunt had one when I was a kid, I really thought it was cool and wanted one. Still remember it 30 some years later.
images9.jpg
[/IMG]

Flat front facia on 73-74, sloped facia like the photo for 75-76. Cale Yarborough won the championship using that car, banned from NASCAR the following year. I have a few of these still sitting in storage. Love them.

1970 and 1971 Monte Carlo SS

Here's a rare one, not alot produced, and had the 454 engine standard.

Attachments

• 70MCSS.jpg
    70MCSS.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 444
Heavy Chevy Chevelle

1971-2 I believe? I think this was in the Junior Supercar theme to get decent auto rates. You could get a variety of V8 engine choices in this one. I remember seeing these on the lots when my older sister was getting her first car. I also remember a Heavy Chevy Nova.

Attachments

• HeavyChevy.jpg
    HeavyChevy.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 418
A lot of memories bouncing around out there right now. Good thread!

I remember most all of those cars. The 73-75 pontiac grand am comes to mind for me as I still have one. Though they were rather anemic hp wise, they were fun to drive. Mine is a factory 400 4 speed which is quite rare (1 of 274). This is my second 4 speed GA, both 73's. The factory never put a 4 speed behind the 455 in 73-75 A bodies. Pontiac also had the Trans Am throughout the 70's with good running cars in first early 70's then progressivly worse through the yrs. except for the SD455 cars which as we all know are very much sought after.

Those vega's were capable of being cool especially the Kammback wagon. Shoe-horn the eight in them and beef up the chassis and they were a handful of dynomite. Monza's to me just seemed like a revamped vega and were not well made cars in my opinion. The mirage and spyder cars with the 305's were ok and were not too common, but they didn't hang well. We pushed a couple of those off the road for dumping the rear end on a hard launch.

I have always liked the Can-Am cars with the shaker hoods and spoilers. there were 3 of them around here and one guy still has his. The Amc cars were talked about a lot, I always though the Pacer X with a 401 would be a cool sleeper car. Think how you would feel to have your lunch handed to ya by 'one of those fishbowl cars" lol . The 79-81 Amx was mostly a stripe kit, but with a few mods they ran well.
Chrysler had the Cordoba which was classy and then the Magnum which fit the bill for a few guy's. I think they came out with the Omni 024 and charger of the same body in 78 or 79. Totally ugly in my opinion, but they ran ok with opened exhaust.
Ford had the mustang II which was good for the 70's I suppose, but again underpowered. Even the king cobra couldn't get out of it's own way, but it looked good. 79 they came out with the fox body stang. My brother had a indy pace car with the turbo 4 cylinder. It was pretty cool back then.
1976 GM cars were all available with a spirit of America theme which I think was just a white car with red interior and a decal kit. I think some of them were just dealer installed methods of selling a car. The wierdest nova i ever saw was a 74 with a factory 4 cylinder and a 4 speed, in a four door. Worst running car i ever saw. Didn't make the W. Pa hills too well.

Thanks for the memories, guy's.

Just got back into town.....

Based on the ones listed thus far it appears AMC leads the pack with obscure examples from the 1970s that have not stood the test of time....meaning many have disappeared.

Here is another one a Mopar example The Aspen RT think they made them 3-4 years. The RT back then did not strike the same fear as the Charge RTs today the Hemi format.

The 1970s for the most part was a sad time for US performance cars.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, (thanks for the parts btw), glad you mentioned the R/T. The same buddy in Iowa with the Chrysler 300 is also in the process of restoring a '78 Aspen R/T with his dad. All said and done, it will be about 4 cars pieced together to make one good one.

And for another AMC: I'd at least heard of the Matador X, but never a Matador Barcelona II

Hemmings Find of the Day – 1977 AMC Matador Barcelona II at Hemmings Blog – Classic and collectible cars and parts

Wow that was an ugly car.

Dart. Those paint and interior combos were pretty funky. The one in the Hang 10 Dart had orange SHAG carpet! Yeah, baby!!!!!! (In my best Austin Powers voice/ accent) :biggrin:

Dart/Duster, I always seem to get those confused. :redface:

Anyone remember the 1972 Ford Sprint paint/ interior combos on the Mustang, Maverick, and Pinto? Had something to do with the Olympics that year. Wasn't that the year Mark Spitz won all the awards in swimming?

The 1976 Stallions. Same batch of cars....only 4 years newer.

Attachments

• 1976 stallions.jpg
    1976 stallions.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 390
The "other" GTO. I present to you the 1974 Ventura Sprint.

Attachments

• 74ventura-sprint-byDaltonMick.jpg
    74ventura-sprint-byDaltonMick.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 380
  • 74v-canbrochureSPRINT-50.jpg
    74v-canbrochureSPRINT-50.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 376
The other "other" GTO. 1974 LeMans GT. I love the honeycones!

Attachments

• 74_lemans gt.jpg
    74_lemans gt.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 385
I think AMC probably had some of the most obscure cars in the late '70s, probably becasue they themselves were becoming obsure. I saw a decent looking black on black AMC Spirit AMX the other day. Always wanted one of those.
The AMC AMX. 1977/78 Hornet/Concord & 1979 Spirit. Enjoy!
That's all for now...I promise!

Attachments

• ad_amc_hornet_amx_red_1977_mi.jpg
    ad_amc_hornet_amx_red_1977_mi.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 413
  • amc_amx_black_1978.jpg
    amc_amx_black_1978.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 405
  • 79amxred-l.jpg
    79amxred-l.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 396
1976 GM cars were all available with a spirit of America theme which I think was just a white car with red interior and a decal kit. I think some of them were just dealer installed methods of selling a car. The wierdest nova i ever saw was a 74 with a factory 4 cylinder and a 4 speed, in a four door.

I wasn't aware on any 1976 cars with the Spirit Of America badging...however there were in 1974 as you described...white with red and blue pin striping and a red and (I believe blue) interior....Impala, Nova and Vega were the ones that came with the SOE package in '74.

Also the last year for a 4 cyl in a RWD Nova was in 1970. They were only 90 hp so i could see them being anemic. Of interest 1968-71 Novas with 4 and 6 cyl transmissions could come with a semi auto trans called a torque drive.