Name Some obscure US Produced Cars Made during the 1970s

Just got back into town.....

Based on the ones listed thus far it appears AMC leads the pack with obscure examples from the 1970s that have not stood the test of time....meaning many have disappeared.

Here is another one a Mopar example The Aspen RT think they made them 3-4 years. The RT back then did not strike the same fear as the Charge RTs today the Hemi format.

The 1970s for the most part was a sad time for US performance cars.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

They sure were obscue!! The 360 in them was a dog!!

Here's my 77, after a trip home to WI way back in 78

Attachments

• dodge aspen RT.jpg
    dodge aspen RT.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 396
How about the Buick Indy 500 Pace car replicas from 75 and 76.

Attachments

• 75CenturyPCpub.jpg
    75CenturyPCpub.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 76CenturyPCad.jpg
    76CenturyPCad.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 76CenturyPCmodel.jpg
    76CenturyPCmodel.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 366
Or how about the Roadhawk from 1979. I remember these on the local Buick dealer lot new in 79 and thought they were way cooler looking than the Monzas on the Chevy dealer lot next door.

Attachments

• BWRoadhawk.jpg
    BWRoadhawk.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 356
Not many popping up from the Ford camp yet.....surely they must have produced some obscure 1970 ones to add to the mix.

Not sure how many from the 1970s will garner much value in years to come outside of the Trans AMs and Z28s...and Corvettes.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The tent option on the 1974 GTO was probably the most unusual or rather "stupid" option considering how the GTO started as a performance car...far cry from the trip power 389s and ram air IV motors of years earlier.

Better to own one ram air IV GTO than a fleet of 1974 GTOs....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I wasn't aware on any 1976 cars with the Spirit Of America badging...however there were in 1974 as you described...white with red and blue pin striping and a red and (I believe blue) interior....Impala, Nova and Vega were the ones that came with the SOE package in '74.

Also the last year for a 4 cyl in a RWD Nova was in 1970. They were only 90 hp so i could see them being anemic. Of interest 1968-71 Novas with 4 and 6 cyl transmissions could come with a semi auto trans called a torque drive.

My bad. you are right about those years of the Spirit cars. I really wasn't sure of the year of that Nova, it was beat to death by the time I saw it. I really would be surprised if that thing had half the HP claimed. lol

Don't forget the '70 Chrysler 300 Hurst

Attachments

• 1970-chrysler-300-hurst-8.jpg
    1970-chrysler-300-hurst-8.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 372
A seldom-seen car, even back then. I remember as a kid getting a plastic replica of this car with a launcher...I think it was from a laundry detergent.

Attachments

• 72montegoad.jpg
    72montegoad.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 320
302-2v power!!!! 1971 Comet GT.....brother to the Maverick Grabber.

Attachments

• 71cometfr.jpg
    71cometfr.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 71cometlr.jpg
    71cometlr.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 299
My bad. you are right about those years of the Spirit cars. I really wasn't sure of the year of that Nova, it was beat to death by the time I saw it. I really would be surprised if that thing had half the HP claimed. lol

1974NovaSOA.jpg

chevy_vega_spirit_of_america_package_white_1974%5B1%5D.jpg

49b35ee5a8cd9e232b5e28b958e69921.jpg

Here's the SOE cars.

The SOE cars are really sharp! Looking closer at the Impala, I see sport mirrors and what looks like Pontiac rallys. I seem to recall the big Chevys getting the 5 on 5 rim design.

Yea chuck, that Impala is a good looking beast.. Like.. it..:biggrin:

The SOE cars are really sharp! Looking closer at the Impala, I see sport mirrors and what looks like Pontiac rallys. I seem to recall the big Chevys getting the 5 on 5 rim design.

Here's one for the Ford camp, the Pinto Bobcat Wagon from the late 70's van craze.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 247
along the same lines as the super coupe volare and aspen was the dodge magnum gt. i kinda like the looks of all of these late 70s chrysler corp body kit cars.

Dodge_Magnum_Troy_78_GT_1.jpg

as far as ford's go, what about the ford elite

ford_elite_gold_1976.jpg

You are correct they got the same design wheel the chevy vans had but they had red and blue stripes on white wheels. My dad bought on Brand new, Never drove it, In 86 I bought it from him with 19k original miles. Everything was original except the gas and oil. sold it to a friend and it made it to 30k miles before some jackass pulled out in front of my bud and totalled the car. IT was absolutely MINT and its one of the FEW cars I've sold I wish I could have back. My dad bought a Lincoln Mark after that and even with the bias ply tires the Impala still rode better than the Lincoln

yea, I like the Magnum better then the Tbird..

Not me!...I much prefer any Ford product over a Chrysler...:rolleyes: Ford vehicles have a much better quality in assembly, fit and finish. No wonder why Chrysler cars are the least popular among the "big three". I've had two Chrysler cars in my life (a '69 Charger R/T and a '94 Concorde), had issues with both of them, and don't plan to own one ever again. The problem with the Charger was that every time it rained, water was leaking into the car so much that it formed a puddle of water soaking the carpet, which eventually led to the floor rotting through :mad: We tried everything to fix the problem going as far as replacing the wiper pivot shafts with no good results...It was when I sold the Charger and replaced it with a '69 Chevelle that I realized that how much better the GM's were better assembled, (and how crappy the Charger's body was),with not a single drop of water entering the car after it rained. With the Concorde, I experienced some transmission problems that the Chrysler dealer was never able to fix. I've even had it rebuilt by an independent transmission shop and the problem remained! I got tired and got rid of it and swore never to own one again.)

Claude. :frown: