My car finally tried to kill me today-

Anyone have a source for the correct pwr steering pump? Mine has 150k or so not needing one yet but I'm sure there will come a need.

Anyone have a source for the correct pwr steering pump? Mine has 150k or so not needing one yet but I'm sure there will come a need.
Mines got 169+ still works great. Actually love how the car turns. its very tight turning radius

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Only time I've had good success with vacuum brakes has been in my current NA el Camino. They work good. I installed a hydroboost setup in a pro touring style Camaro...bad ass. Neck snapping stopping.
I've installed vacuum brakes on a couple other NA cars, worked great.

I converted another 87 GN to vacuum, brakes were more dependable than the PM but sucked in comparison to hydroboost. Two of my buddies with GN's as we speak, have the worst brakes ever. Both going to hydroboost. I have hydroboost in my GN and look forward to good stopping power. There is a reason most if not all heavy duty trucks come with hydroboost. The shit works. If your pump can't handle running the brakes, it is probably on the way out anyways.

Sorry Earl, I can't agree on this one:D
I've done way too many brake setups and have found what works best for me. To each their own.

OP, whatever you do, be sure to change the proportioning valve if it's cast iron.

The only reason vacuum brakes would suck on GN conversion is because you used wrong master cylinder , been there ,done that .

This swap and write up will not happen this week. It will happen next weekend when i have a few fays off in a row. The wife thought that curtains would take precedence lol.

Thank you

I had my power master fail and I did the conversion to vacuum and never looked back . I have had Gn vacuum brakes and that is what I stayed with
Before you do anything change your brake lines . They are what caused the failure in the first place .

I had my power master fail and I did the conversion to vacuum and never looked back . I have had Gn vacuum brakes and that is what I stayed with
Before you do anything change your brake lines . They are what caused the failure in the first place .
You mean to the braided stainless ones ?

Braided are better for performance and abrasion resistance. but, there are literally millions of cars from the 80's rolling around with 30+ year old rubber lines.

That being said, when I changed my rubber lines out for steel braided a few months ago, I looked at my rubber lines and was amazed I haven't killed anybody yet. They looked BAD.

If I may digress this topic regarding brakes takes me back too '83. The brakes failed on my Mazda GLC as I was braking for a underpass light, balls in throat and went between lanes of stopped cars. Finally bumped into a 1970's Chevy P/U who actually allowed me follow him too my home just a few miles up the road, good times.

If I may digress this topic regarding brakes takes me back to '83. The brakes failed on my Mazda GLC as I was braking for a underpass light, balls in throat and went between lanes of stopped cars. Finally bumped into a 1970's Chevy P/U who actually allowed me follow him too my home just a few miles up the road, good times.