My brand new built trans in leaking!!!

Onalky87

Just installed my stage 2 from Lonnie yesterday and its leaking. Just trying to figure out where everyone things its coming from so ik what to tell him when I send it back. The inside of bell housing is wet and its getting onto TC which is spraying it everywhere like on the exhaust. It only leaks when running and it doesn't look like like its coming from the pump

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

I'd have to lift car up again but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that orange ish round seal at end of pump up against TC. R u suppose to be able to see it?

Check the vent tube on top. Put a piece of hose on the tube and run it into a soda bottle as a catch can to test it.

Bryan

Ok ill try that. What if its leaking from the vent? What's that mean? The trans was completely empty of fluid obviously, and TC may have have 1/4 of a qt in it(I tryed to drain as much as I could) but the radiator was still Pretty much full. It only took 6.5 qts and its ready its 1.5qts overfill. Idk why it only took 6.5 I was told 11-12

After thinking about it I highly doubt it's the vent The vent is on other side of bell housing that the fluid is on

well if its inside the bell housing maybe ya messed up the front seal putting in the converter ??? Not hard to slap a new one in.. May also be a front pump "O" ring . Try an see where its leakin from. Both are easy enuff to change instead of sendin it back.

The trans was completely empty of fluid obviously, and TC may have have 1/4 of a qt in it(I tryed to drain as much as I could) but the radiator was still Pretty much full. It only took 6.5 qts and its ready its 1.5qts overfill. Idk why it only took 6.5 I was told 11-12
It will take 11-12 qts. if the converter (12") is completely empty. If the converter is nearly full 6 qts is about right.

I'd have to lift car up again but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that orange ish round seal at end of pump up against TC. R u suppose to be able to see it?
You should be able to see the face of it and that is all. Hopefully it hasn't pushed out of the pump. If it has it's easy to put a new one in.

Grumpy said:
well if its inside the bell housing maybe ya messed up the front seal putting in the converter ??? Not hard to slap a new one in.. May also be a front pump "O" ring . Try an see where its leakin from. Both are easy enuff to change instead of sendin it back.

That's what I was thinking a bc only being wet inside the bell housing like that the places it could come from r kinda limited. But it all looks extremely dry around the pump and seal which is u I'm left scratching my head

mikestertwo said:
You should be able to see the face of it and that is all. Hopefully it hasn't pushed out of the pump. If it has it's easy to put a new one in.

In a little bit I will may under car and get a pic of how the seal looks for u guys Would that help?

TC is a PTC NL It's not brand new has 1000miles on it and never had any issues with it

You need to brake clean the entire area and duplicate the leak. All else is speculation. Not likely the converter because it's not a new unit. Already been in and out of the car twice prior to you putting it in this 3rd time. Once you see the leak we can advise what to do next. It won't be worth freighting the trans for something simple like this.

I did that a couple times. And cleaned off converter. Motor can idle for 15sec and the converter is wet all over and inside of bell housing at tons on drips going down it. The drips start in random places like its splatter from something

Have you looked at the large o-ring seal that goes around the front pump? It may have gotten pinched or something during the reinstall.

Does not look pinched but only way to know for sure is to drop trans right?